Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10235 10236 [10237] 10238 10239 ... 10988

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13440600 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153540 on: September 07, 2020, 05:32:31 pm »

I remember sickle cell anemia is what happens when a recessive gene is found twice that messes with the shape of red blood cells, if that recessive gene is paired with the dominant gene, the shape changes in such a way that helps resist malaria, which I guess is what you’re saying near the end of the post?
Yes. Sickle-cell anemia is found exclusively in people of some degree of African descent, because the sickle-cell trait evolved there where malaria has been endemic since early human history (but it either evolved after the migrations of other human populations out of Africa, or, possibly, was lost once they were no longer exposed to malaria due to its extreme negative selective effects of killing essentially 100% of homozygotes without modern medicine). Malaria is also found in Indonesia, but they have evolved different defenses there, because of the random component in evolution. Malaria only became common in many other locations where it is now found, such as the British swamps, within the past couple thousand years, so as far as I know there are no major identified malaria resistance traits in populations living in those areas.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153541 on: September 08, 2020, 03:02:42 am »

Apparently there's a Dragon's Dogma TV show coming out next week.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #153542 on: September 08, 2020, 04:14:13 am »

Wait what. Where?

Also, reading back: I agree with Maximum Spin.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 04:18:57 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #153543 on: September 08, 2020, 04:40:45 am »

I've discovered I have an unconscious habit to whistle low-key something thematic to whichever I'm thinking. I'm trying to suppress it before I end up in ak awkward situation
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153544 on: September 08, 2020, 04:43:55 am »

I do that too! I've been trying to stop. My friends always laugh that me whistling/humming the Imperial March means I'm going to invade then in Civ Vi.

As an aside: I've applied for an internal job in a different store, only to find the manager who's hounding me is the one giving a reference.

Lol.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 04:47:40 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153545 on: September 08, 2020, 04:51:20 am »

No No NO!

If they have become conditioned to this kind of information channel, shutting off the channel is the wrong approach!

Instead, EXPLOIT it consciously.  Whistle the tune ON PURPOSE, to distract them.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #153546 on: September 08, 2020, 05:07:00 am »

As an aside: I've applied for an internal job in a different store, only to find the manager who's hounding me is the one giving a reference.

Lol.

Dont worry too much. All this shit about recommendations and references... its shit. It all comes down in the end to whether you can do the job and whether they need you.

Since my acrimonious departure last year I've had some of those folks shit-talking me. Also other folks defending me. I'm pretty sure they sabotaged a potential contract.

In the end it doesnt really matter that much I think.  I mean look at what they did to me *before* I cut loose. Likewise with your guy: he was already being shit to you beforehand. I dont think playing along with his witch-hunt would have helped you. It'd just encourage them to keep pushing.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153547 on: September 08, 2020, 05:27:36 am »

No No NO!

If they have become conditioned to this kind of information channel, shutting off the channel is the wrong approach!

Instead, EXPLOIT it consciously.  Whistle the tune ON PURPOSE, to distract them.
Oh, I've been doing that in the current game. It's great. My religion is really strong, but they got the world congress thing where they can use military units to execute my apostles/missionaries. There are a few hold outs in the north for my religion.
So. I begin moving my troops along their southern borders, just a flash here and there, all while humming the Imperial March. I watch as their troops come south, leaving the way open for my apostles. Wait some more until they're near the borders. Then I attack a nearby AI, pretending my humming was because I wanted to attack them.

It was hilarious. I heard some furious clicking from them ahahaha. Currently converting away merrily.

What I meant was that I am going to stop doing it unconsciously:P

Lol.

Dont worry too much. All this shit about recommendations and references... its shit. It all comes down in the end to whether you can do the job and whether they need you.

Since my acrimonious departure last year I've had some of those folks shit-talking me. Also other folks defending me. I'm pretty sure they sabotaged a potential contract.

In the end it doesnt really matter that much I think.  I mean look at what they did to me *before* I cut loose. Likewise with your guy: he was already being shit to you beforehand. I dont think playing along with his witch-hunt would have helped you. It'd just encourage them to keep pushing.
Well, perhaps you're right. The other thing is, maybe I'm making it difficult enough that he'd be happy to see me go.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153548 on: September 08, 2020, 06:33:16 am »

No No NO!

Oh, I've been doing that in the current game. It's great. My religion is really strong, but they got the world congress thing where they can use military units to execute my apostles/missionaries. There are a few hold outs in the north for my religion.
So. I begin moving my troops along their southern borders, just a flash here and there, all while humming the Imperial March. I watch as their troops come south, leaving the way open for my apostles. Wait some more until they're near the borders. Then I attack a nearby AI, pretending my humming was because I wanted to attack them.

It was hilarious. I heard some furious clicking from them ahahaha. Currently converting away merrily.

What I meant was that I am going to stop doing it unconsciously:P
This is interesting. I wonder why the unconscious whistle-thoughts channel started happening? Possible conditioning from an espionage attempt? Needing to whistle passwords in a dream where you were part of cult that worshipped the act of whistling, then waking up and continuing to whistle? Of course these are just 2 possible reasons, there could of course be other reasons

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #153549 on: September 08, 2020, 07:27:47 pm »

I whistle/hum to myself all the time too. I do occasionally get strange looks. Sometimes I wonder if I annoy my coworkers with it
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153550 on: September 08, 2020, 11:20:18 pm »

I bounce a leg when I'm excited.  I recently got access to a psych profile done on me back in early high school, and it was eerie but also... confirming... to be reminded that I *always* did that.

I also talk to myself sometimes, but only when I'm alone.  Helps me work through complicated problems without breaking out Notepad++ or, heh, my notebook~  Sometimes you just have to chart something out.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153551 on: September 08, 2020, 11:27:59 pm »

I was more referring to the “whistling thoughts” part. I talk to myself too, for the same reason you do, to work out complicated things without losing concentration, and/or to keep me on topic so I don’t go on tangents

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #153552 on: September 09, 2020, 12:12:30 am »

I have the urge to pace around a room, and for some reason, doing that pushes my brain into overdrive. Thoughts just flood into my head. It does annoy the people around me, so I probably can't do it everywhere. I'm somewhat annoyed by that, because I quite enjoy thinking, and anything that speeds it up in a controlled fashion is good.

In general, moving around (walking, cycling) seems to speed up and stabilize my brain. I don't know why, but at this point, I've pretty much accepted it as fact.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153553 on: September 09, 2020, 12:44:05 am »

I have the urge to pace around a room, and for some reason, doing that pushes my brain into overdrive. Thoughts just flood into my head. It does annoy the people around me, so I probably can't do it everywhere. I'm somewhat annoyed by that, because I quite enjoy thinking, and anything that speeds it up in a controlled fashion is good.

In general, moving around (walking, cycling) seems to speed up and stabilize my brain. I don't know why, but at this point, I've pretty much accepted it as fact.
I spin in place to do the same thing, speed up thoughts. Obviously can’t do it everywhere so I make sure I’m alone before doing it

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #153554 on: September 09, 2020, 03:21:48 am »

Apparently there's a Dragon's Dogma TV show coming out next week.   

We already had a new Berserk.
Pages: 1 ... 10235 10236 [10237] 10238 10239 ... 10988