Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10233 10234 [10235] 10236 10237 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14524061 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153510 on: September 07, 2020, 08:16:14 am »

Now I need to find out how to change my transmission fluid so that I dont look like a fool  . . . :V

On a slightly related note I just set up my new generator.

- Warranty void if you dont use gas stabilizer
- Warranty void if you dont use >90 gas
- Warranty void if you dont use 10-30 oil
- Warranty void if you dont inspect the compressor
- Warranty void if you dont clean its plating every 3 months
- Warranty void if you dont store it in a level, cool, dry place
- Warranty void if you dont operate it in an open area with ventilation

The thing can just about power my whole house, so there is that though.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 08:19:26 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #153511 on: September 07, 2020, 08:35:44 am »

Eh... for what it's worth, operating it in a closed area without ventilation can, like. Kill you, or something like that. Maybe set up for a gas explosion? Dangerous, in any case. Warranty or not, don't turn the thing on inside yer house :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153512 on: September 07, 2020, 08:41:58 am »

Carbon monoxide poisoning from the exhaust fumes, yeah.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #153513 on: September 07, 2020, 08:44:08 am »

Did you hear about the Norwegian rave too?
Love, scriver~

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #153514 on: September 07, 2020, 08:48:27 am »

Now I need to find out how to change my transmission fluid so that I dont look like a fool  . . . :V.
Chrisfix has a full guide on how to change (automatic) transmission fluid on Youtube. (On a related note, I went down a rabbit hole watching every video this guy had because I was so engaged by what he had to say, despite me not really wanting to do all the stuff he does do. Guy knows (or at least sounds like he knows) what he's talking about.)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153515 on: September 07, 2020, 09:02:20 am »

Eh... for what it's worth, operating it in a closed area without ventilation can, like. Kill you, or something like that. Maybe set up for a gas explosion? Dangerous, in any case. Warranty or not, don't turn the thing on inside yer house :P

The main issue is probably these two combined.
- Warranty void if you dont store it in a level, cool, dry place
- Warranty void if you dont operate it in an open area with ventilation
For the first one, it has to be inside a building.
For the second one, it has to either be in a large room with ventilation, or outside.

I do not think most utility rooms are large or have good ventilation.

Best way would probably be building a wooden shed next to your house and putting the generator in that. That would keep the rain out while allowing ventilation.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #153516 on: September 07, 2020, 09:08:10 am »

Store and operate are different things :P

But yeah, an overhang type thing -- supports and roof, no walls, stuff like that -- is more or less ideal. There's ways to ventilate a shed or house so a generator can run inside, but... near as I can recall it's probably cheaper to just run the generator outside and deal with weathering and the occasional replacement, ha. Iirc plenty of generators also just don't really give a damn about rain, just like AC units more or less don't. Depends on the model, I guess...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153517 on: September 07, 2020, 09:21:00 am »

I think my mom's shed would work for it - no, no, the ventilation is so terrible that it heats up like an attic or car.  So when you go in to check on it, you're roasted.  Yeah, that's a tricky duck.

Now I need to find out how to change my transmission fluid so that I dont look like a fool  . . . :V.
Chrisfix has a full guide on how to change (automatic) transmission fluid on Youtube. (On a related note, I went down a rabbit hole watching every video this guy had because I was so engaged by what he had to say, despite me not really wanting to do all the stuff he does do. Guy knows (or at least sounds like he knows) what he's talking about.)
Mmph, I know that feeling.  Parasocial relationships being a gross mind trap, I can still listen to certain youtubers drone on about the most banal stuff for hours. 

So like... I saw a discord I was in was streaming Stronghold 2, so I hopped in voice chat.

The voice chat was entirely an admin discussion on how best to ban a cute ripped guy who disassembles cars ):  He has a tendency of getting drunk and bigoted.  Yeah, I've seen that happen.

In comes this blast of Safety Dance from the musicbot.  I turn it down, but jest about it in the text channel.  Apparently I hurt the requester's feelings D:  I assure them that they did nothing wrong, I was just makin' fun.  They ask if I want more music - what a question~

So yeah I guess I'm in a polycule again?  And my beloved greeted my morning as I was writing this.  And I haven't shared my voice yet, because I don't like how it sounds when I'm not being careful, but hers is quite lovely.
like, heck yeah, this rocks.  I shared morning-snuggles!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #153518 on: September 07, 2020, 09:40:51 am »

There's no such thing as a racial marker - race is completely arbitrary. That's why you occasionally get cases of people pretending to be black, because "being black" is a fluid category and as such people who are white fakers can look very similar to people who are black but light-skinned.
Race isn't completely arbitrary. It's basic evolutionary theory. Living in different places develops different features. These features helped survival in one way or another and became typical for certain areas. A native of Japan does not look like a native of Uganda. That's the hard, physical reality. Though of course many people are hard to place in one race or another.

The following comparison may sound offensive. Apologies if so.
Different dog breeds are a thing. Very obviously. Crossing breeds will produce a mongrel who is hard to categorise. That does not mean dog breeds are completely arbitrary. Of course, human variation is more complex than that of dogs, considering we don't have kennel clubs to impose certain ideals, but the principal is the same.

Here's another argument: Just because there are blurred lines between races does not mean races do not exist.

Also, trans and enby people are ingrained throughout all of human history, where as race as a distinct idea was gradually invented starting around the late 1600s taking their first step into ideas of biology.

The idea wasn't invented in the late 1600s. It began to be explored in a scientific manner at that time. Something doesn't need a modern intellectual framework to exist. For instance, did the world explode into roundness as Galileo/Ptolemy began spreading their ideas? No. Sailors knew just by observing the curvature of the earth, but Galileo in particular helped develop a scholarly discussion surrounding it.

Likewise, before racial science began down its largely-misguided path, the medieval world explored concepts of race. Usually in an equally misguided way - namely by portraying them as monsters. Mongols, Jews and black people were all discussed and categorised as distinct races.
Before this, the Ancient Greeks had a fairly decent concept of race. They believed that it was tied to the environment.

I think one of the main things to consider is that race didn't matter as much in the more distant past. You lived in your polis, village, town, tepee, hut and interacted with foreigners only rarely. When you DID interact with other races, it was like Xenophon meeting the Carduchians in the retreat of the Ten Thousand - they were "a fierce, war-loving race, who had never been conquered. Once the Great King had sent into their country an army of 120,000 men, to subdue them, but of all that great host not one had ever seen his home again."

Even were the ancients completely ignorant of race - which they obviously are not - that's no reason to assume that it does not exist. We understand selection and the formation of races in a way which was impossible at their time. They saw races, named them monsters, and that was all.
We see races. Understand how the environment led to certain mutations and differences. Then we categorise.

And boy do we categorise badly, with generalisations galore. But at least we know there is SOMETHING there to categorise in the first place.

And, of course, underneath these physical differences people are still people. Which means that those who claim to be a different race are trying to appropriate the cultural ramifications of being that type. In the highlighted cases this seems to be because they want to seem/be more "woke."

Similarly, transgender people are just people. The difference between male and female, despite physical differences, is minimal. What is desired is to be treated a certain way. Someone whose sex is male wants to be treated like someone whose sex is female. Hence dressing in certain ways, walking and acting certain ways, having surgery and taking medication to prevent beard growth. (Actually not sure about that last, but I think that's part of the process?)

To sum up, I guess:
Race is physical. But it has cultural implications which some wish to appropriate.
Sex is physical. But it has cultural implications which some wish to appropriate.

So, to ask my question again, why say that transgender-ism is a thing but transracial-ism is obviously something to be ridiculed? Both seem to be exactly the same to me, just applied to different physical attributes.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 09:45:48 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #153519 on: September 07, 2020, 11:17:41 am »

race =/ ethnicity

Race is mostly based on shallow, appearance-derived attributes. See for example how west and east Africans are put together as one race because they both are dark brown despite east Africans being much closer related to Middle Easterners than to people from the other side of the African continent. The races as the word is used in modern society is also not the same as biological races (the scientific term), which has a definable basis. Races as used about people lacks such a basis, instead being founded mostly on arbitrary judgements and often formed around the dominant (white) demographic being considered the default demographic of society, and those who secern themselves from that group -- as in the example of people of inter-racial ancestry being judged as not-white but not not-black, or as 100% black for delineating 1% from the white norm.

Iirc there is actually one group of people in southern Africa which is (or was, before modern times?) so genetically separated from other humans that they could almost be called another biological race. But if one would make that separation you'd still end up with all other Africans, Europeans, Asians, and Americans in the other group together.
Love, scriver~

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153520 on: September 07, 2020, 12:20:12 pm »

So, to ask my question again, why say that transgender-ism is a thing but transracial-ism is obviously something to be ridiculed? Both seem to be exactly the same to me, just applied to different physical attributes.

Wishing to be a different race is not something to be ridiculed.

But claiming to already be of different race is still a lie. Same as would be to claim one is of different sex.
And if someone pretended to be of the opposite sex, got married to someone, and then was found out, their spouse would probably be angry and wanted divorce.

Of course, my example is a situation where the sex of the liar actually matters. If it does not, the repercussions should be lesser.
Same with race. If the lie does not matter, the person should only be reprimanded. But if there is any reason for it to matter, such as lying to get a job in a historical movie, there should be actual consequences.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153521 on: September 07, 2020, 01:38:08 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:35:30 am by dragdeler »
let

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153522 on: September 07, 2020, 02:01:01 pm »

I didn't want to bicker about this because it's very granular but:

What I assume Reelya meant to say when there is no biological basis, is the amount of differenciation in genetic material in different human "races" is generally unidentifiable among all the "noise". And I agree to that point and because it's mostly pointless. Still I doubt that if we had completly decyphered the human genes, we couldn't make an educated guess on a person's appearance traits commonly associated with race.

Whereas yes all (biologically) female mammals seem to have an X chromosome and it is definitly a more distinct genetical trait, I'd assume this is also why the edge cases are documented up to a certain degree, it's a more distinct - maybe easier - thing to look for, than say a certain set of appearance traits commonly associated with race.

What would annoy me were, if the implication was that we needed a well documented "biological basis" in order to grant basic rights to people. I know the initial argument was about race, where it's preferable to shy away from biological reasons because of well funded social reasons, whereas in the case of transgenderism, it's important to remind the public that there actually is a biological basis else they simply won't believe transfolks until they have seen a weird pee pee for themselves (not to mention cases where you'd guess the wrong chromosome, or who produce hormones typically associated with the other sex). So that's why I didn't say anything, because I doubt Reelya implied we couldn't give out human rights without a strong scientific basis.
We absolutely can tell what race people are from DNA with a high degree of confidence now, and in fact, even from skeletal remains.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153523 on: September 07, 2020, 02:03:21 pm »

pisskop be sure to monitor oil level at all time. Is a two or four times engine?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153524 on: September 07, 2020, 02:04:42 pm »

4 stroke.

my car is a 4
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 10233 10234 [10235] 10236 10237 ... 11037