Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beware its hunger for warm blood!  (Read 2039 times)

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
Beware its hunger for warm blood!
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:59:26 pm »

As I was happily setting up an entrance to the first cavern level to fight off a forgotten beast, I get this message. I...don't know what to make of it. What makes it different? Don't all hostile creature want to murder my warm blooded dwarves? Is there some convenient place on the wiki describing forgotten beast attributes?

fakeedit: Oh crap, my well area, full of lazy dwarves and puppies, is open to this cavern...
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beware its hunger for warm blood!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 01:01:08 pm »

That just means it doesn't have any syndromes. Which is nice...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:02:44 pm »

Oh wow, sounds like a sneak preview of the new version! ;D
Sounds like an awesome beast to start with, and then the blood hungry bit... Sacrifice a few dwarves so you can see the 'blood drinking' combat logs before sending in the military(If you have one)!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:06:25 pm »

I have heard it claimed that this means the beast has a blood-draining attack, similar to a sea lamprey, but I haven't tested this myself.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 01:10:14 pm »

Oh wow, sounds like a sneak preview of the new version! ;D
Sounds like an awesome beast to start with, and then the blood hungry bit... Sacrifice a few dwarves so you can see the 'blood drinking' combat logs before sending in the military(If you have one)!
Heh, I thought "Oh wait, vampire?" after posting. That would be pretty awesome.

Good to know my military won't die from rot after the battle, though. Based on my knowledge that flying forgotten beasts can come up through wells, I think I'll just station militia well to give it a nice welcome when it gets there.

Edit: Hmm, I'll have to see if I can get some random dwarf to be sacrificed for science. I'd like to see what happens.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:13:06 pm by Kirbypowered »

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 01:16:44 pm »

Just draft a random hauler into a one-man military squad and send him out there.  Make sure your proper militia is around the corner, though, so you don't end up having more unsuspecting  "test subjects"...
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 02:20:20 pm »

That means when it lands a bite blood will be "sucked out through the wound". I imagine it causes them to bleed out faster but if it's teeth are particularly nasty that won't matter.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 02:22:27 pm »

I have heard it claimed that this means the beast has a blood-draining attack, similar to a sea lamprey, but I haven't tested this myself.

If it does, it might be broken :/
Though I do seem to remember some weird flying thing suck the blood out one of my Dwarves, was in a terrifying biome, can anyone help me here?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 03:28:12 pm »

Nightwings.  I've lost many dwarves to them in my evil zone embark.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 03:35:06 pm »

I've looked at the generated raws for such forgotten beasts and they do have the token [SPECIALATTACK_SUCK_BLOOD:50:100] on one of their attacks.
However, several other beasts also had blood-draining attacks along with their special type of syndrome, and one beast with a "hunger for warm blood" also claimed to inject a poison with one if its attacks (but didn't actually define what said poison was).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 03:55:42 pm »

I've looked at the generated raws for such forgotten beasts and they do have the token [SPECIALATTACK_SUCK_BLOOD:50:100] on one of their attacks.
However, several other beasts also had blood-draining attacks along with their special type of syndrome, and one beast with a "hunger for warm blood" also claimed to inject a poison with one if its attacks (but didn't actually define what said poison was).
So there's a chance that the starling will still have a nasty poison or are you just speaking of other blood-sucking creatures?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 04:50:13 pm »

No it is just going to suck their blood out, no poison at all.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?