Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'm looking for a game that plays like Paper Mario  (Read 2683 times)

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
I'm looking for a game that plays like Paper Mario
« on: January 29, 2012, 11:32:42 pm »

I played through Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door, and I loved both games immensely. I didn't enjoy super paper mario as much because of the change in gameplay style, and that's left me with a hankering for that specific type of game. Does anyone know any games that are comparable in gameplay to the first 2 paper mario games? I don't care about the art style, or the plot, or anything else very much at all, but I can't seem to enjoy most rpgs nearly as much as those 2 games, and I would like to remedy this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions for a game (for PC or related emulators) that could fill this niche in my game library?

The thing I really enjoy about the series is the badge system, by which your character's build is HUGELY varied and the strategic nature of creating an optimal battle versus several foes. I also really like the action commands where a specific button press at the time of attacking or defending can influence the battle, but I understand that finding that in other series may be a bit of a stretch.
Overall, I have a slight dislike of JRPGs also, though if one fits the bill I will play it with pleasure.

Get on it, Bay12!
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: I'm looking for a game that plays like Paper Mario
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 12:36:24 am »

You should at least try Super Mario RPG for the SNES. It has action commands but I don't remember if it had badges.

Edit to add: I hear the new South Park fantasy RPG will be using action commands in a similar way. The only thing that has piqued my interest in it so far.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:21:10 am »

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga? That game has action commands.

Same with Partners in Time, I guess, but I haven't tried that game. Or Bowser's Inside Story.

E: SS is for GBA, while PiT and BIS is for the DS.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:22:55 am by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:23:52 am »

M+L SS is superb. PiT is good. BiS is not so great.

All of them have action commands, if that's what you're looking for. MLSS has some of the best special moves I've seen in a game of that era.

SMRPG is another good one.
Collaboration between Nintendo and Square? YES PLEASE.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 01:28:36 am »

BiS is not so great.
I disagree. To each their own, I think the OP should definitely try the series though, it's got the action commands and the nice rpg mechanics.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 01:30:06 am »

I don't know how I forgot Superstar Saga and Partners in Time. Such great games. Not played any Bowser's Inside Story. I'll have to check it out.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 03:49:02 am »

Yep, seconding Bowser's Inside Story being awesome. I didn't like PiT so much but it's still very much worth a play. Superstar Saga is pretty okay too.

Annnd yeah mario RPG is kind've the prequel to all of these games, so maybe check that out too. :P

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 04:33:53 am »

It's a bit of a stretch from the theme but Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden has an action command-based battle system. You should probably play it anyway. Everyone should.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 11:16:43 am »

I hate myself for mentioning this, but the later DBZ: Budokai games have a sort of similar system to the Badge system (you have a lot of items/extra movelist stuff you can choose from once you've unlocked them, and a very limited selection thereof that you can employ at one time; and yeah, the experience is completely different depending on what you pick), and, being fighting games, they're rife with action commands.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 12:06:32 pm »

You can try Vagrant Story(PS1) if you want action commands. The game is basically action command : The game.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 12:11:56 pm »

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga? That game has action commands.

Same with Partners in Time, I guess, but I haven't tried that game. Or Bowser's Inside Story.

E: SS is for GBA, while PiT and BIS is for the DS.
Superstar Saga and Partners in Time both have action commands for special attacks, items, and dodging. I've never tried Bowser's Inside Story, but I assume similarly. They're also rather fun.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 02:07:52 pm »

all right, thanks. I didn't know that there were DS equivalents. I'll definitely give those a shot.
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 04:53:10 pm »

The Mardek Series of Flash RPGs are great, 2 is at least a 5 hour game and 3 is super duper long.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 05:01:59 pm »

It's a bit of a stretch from the theme but Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden has an action command-based battle system. You should probably play it anyway. Everyone should.
+1
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 08:05:38 pm »

You may be interested in Legend of Legaia for the PS1.
Pages: [1] 2