Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Public challenge (completed): Defend against these tigermen  (Read 8203 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Public challenge (completed): Defend against these tigermen
« on: January 29, 2012, 04:19:18 am »

This is originally a challenge I made for darkflagrance, the creator of Fortress Defense mod, but I think it's a good test of everyone else's DF prowess. The first who complete this challenge will have a custom creature created and named after him/her/it and has the option to choose what I'll serve my lord, an asian cat, the next day.

+ Use Intensifying Mod. See my sig for download links.
 + Survive the provided embark without reclaiming until year 3 or kill 10 tigermen using dwaves, whichever come later.
 + Enemies must have a path to your dwarves
 + No walk of doom. Maybe 2-3 tiles on your (non-raised) bridge but that's it.
 + Minimum traps. Each path has a handful at most. Weapon traps can only have one weapon. Trap kills, including cage's, do not count.
 + No weird exploits except extremely elaborate and stupid dwarven tricks. Use yonr common sense to judge.
 + You can only use up to 1274 embark points as in default embarks even though the world gen allow 10000. I typically use 1223 points cause it read 8777 remaining, btw.
Spoiler: World gen param (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I dont really like the topic name. Please suggest a better one.
EDIT2: thanks dark for the topic title suggestion ;p
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:21:11 pm by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think you can play as well (or better) the the creator of FD mod?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 04:25:20 am »

Yes, yes i do. :P

What's this "Intensifying Mod" though?

I typically play with Fortress Defense, with some of the more "unrealistic" (retarded) civilisations turned off. I don't use traps (period), or bridges, or elaborate hallways to split forces up - only military. Most of my embarks lack iron, so i'm usually stuck with copper, not counting trading. Most of my forts last at least 5 years, often i have to open the HFS because my framerate is too low (<15), i think i've only actually lost to sieges 2 or 3 times (out of about 10 embarks lately).

Oh and my current civilisation is at war with the White Tigermen.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 04:29:20 am by schismatise »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 04:46:20 am »

What's this "Intensifying Mod" though?
It's a mod that I made, that has FD incorporated. I've made the conclusion that white tigermen are ways too hard for their siege grade. This is probably due to various changes in the mod, particularly the x8 effectiveness of 2handed weapons which they wield on one hand and recently, the reduction of dwarven productivity and highly hostile wildlife. That's why I have asked dark to help with playtest to see if it's really due to all those changes.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 05:00:34 am »

Hmmmmm. I haven't noticed white tigermen to be too incredibly overpowered in the original FD mod, which i have been playing alot lately. They sometimes seem to siege more often, and in greater numbers, including mounts, but other than that... From memory i don't think they always use 2handed weapons in the original FD. So yeah, it sounds like the 2handed effectiveness is probably the issue.

Okay so i just read through your mod thread. Here's some feedback for you (or should i post this in the mod thread?):

Introduction sounds very good, my kind of mod. Elves playable, hmmm, something i've thought about but it seemed unrealistic and imbalanced. Can spawn more wood at altar... so much for staying true to the vanilla spirit? :P The more dangerous wildlife stuff sounds good, as long as those extra syndromes aren't too strong. Equipment overhaul sounds like you've changed too much. I'm not sure a 2h > 1h/s > ranged > 2h balance system was necessary. Economy changes start good, but there's alot of things i don't like. Yes, it's currently too easy to have plenty of surplus of everything, and trading is generally pointless after the first couple of times, so changes in that area sound good, but i feel like you might have gone overboard. Mouldy stones?! Not very vanilla. :P Smelting changes are strange. Removal of adamantine is fine, but i don't like the sound of all the new reactions, or the changes to steel making. Altar? Again, not very vanilla. Steamlined item types - i like dwarf fortress for it's huge array of different types of things, most of which are functionally identical - it feels more realistic. Bug fixes sound good, especially the clothing, and FPS tweaks, but some not so good - i don't like the removal of miasma or trampling.

Basically, "A mod designed to increase FPS and difficulty of DF while staying as true to the spirit of vanilla DF as possible" sounds like exactly the kind of mod i want, but the detailed description doesn't. Bear in mind of course that this is just my personal opinion :)

That all said, my current fort may end soon - if i'm bored enough, i'll give your challenge a go. Sounds like alot of learning the features of the mod though, won't be surprised if i die to something silly like starvation instead of the tigermen :P
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:02:42 am by schismatise »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 05:16:24 am »

won't be surprised if i die to something silly like starvation instead of the tigermen :P
If you just skip the details and plant some plump helmets I'm sure hunger shall never be an issue. Some of the features might not make much sense by themselves such as how elves can spawn wood... until you realize they dont know what axes are. That's what actual playing is for. I tried to make the new concepts intuitive enough to be picked up as you play so maybe just skip the details will ya? ;p

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 05:21:03 am »

What regulations are there on marksdwarf use? 

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 05:22:01 am »

won't be surprised if i die to something silly like starvation instead of the tigermen :P
If you just skip the details and plant some plump helmets I'm sure hunger shall never be an issue. Some of the features might not make much sense by themselves such as how elves can spawn wood... until you realize they dont know what axes are. That's what actual playing is for. I tried to make the new concepts intuitive enough to be picked up as you play so maybe just skip the details will ya? ;p

Of course, i can appreciate that - i just pasted my feedback in your thread and added the caveat that i of course haven't actually played it yet.

That said, i think You need to appreciate that i simply might not like the concept of "spawning wood" in dwarf fortress ;)

As i said, i may give it a go just for the challenge you posted in this thread, but don't hold your breath :)

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 05:55:07 am »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 06:04:11 am »

What regulations are there on marksdwarf use?
Feel free to use them as long as the enemies can path to the markdwarves. With that said, there's nothing wrong with archer posts with entries only from deep within under ground as long as the path not so ridiculously long and perilous to be considered a walk of doom.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 07:06:18 am »

Why can't I make steel?
Iron bars-Check!
Coal-Check!
Limestone-Check!
 ???

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 07:13:56 am »

This doesn't seem that hard. I could probably blow it over in an hour, not including arseing around with screenies for proof. Hell, I'll do this on an above-ground fort (with quarries), no traps (military only) and no blocking.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 07:22:42 am »

Why can't I make steel?
Iron bars-Check!
Coal-Check!
Limestone-Check!
 ???
At kiln: Limestone + 5 bags + fuel -> 5 pouches of flux (note that the bags are lost)
A little inconvenience for the most part except when you have to import flux. Remember that you can view description to see which reactions they are involved in.

This doesn't seem that hard. I could probably blow it over in an hour, not including arseing around with screenies for proof. Hell, I'll do this on an above-ground fort (with quarries), no traps (military only) and no blocking.
If you dont like preparing screenies, you can just upload your save. It's not very hard to view weapon description for kills.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 07:27:57 am by rephikul »

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 07:34:00 am »

Thx, I never build a kiln usually  ::)

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 07:54:29 am »

What is this madness!?
10 seconds after embark 18 unicorns runs up to my dwarfs and commence in massive slaughter. ???
18 unicorns forever marked red with dwarrf blood.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 08:01:32 am »

What is this madness!?
10 seconds after embark 18 unicorns runs up to my dwarfs and commence in massive slaughter. ???
18 unicorns forever marked red with dwarrf blood.
It's a small embark with many pools so if you happen to embark too close to a large herd, they might feel cornered and attack in self defense.
Well at least it's not a lion herd which will actively chase down your dwarves regardless of distance.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:03:37 am by rephikul »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4