Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pop cap  (Read 936 times)

Cyco_Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pop cap
« on: January 27, 2012, 11:07:02 pm »

So I just got a new pc with a much more powerful processor, video card and ram. Now DF runs perfect but I always wanted to increase my pop cap now I can the only problem is that I don't know how so I ask does anybody know?
QuoteModify
Quote from: arzzult on Today at 02:47:41 am
Too far? This is the game where we slaughter the cutest animals we can find by the dozen for a rather meager amount of food. This is the game where coming up with a more complex and cruel way to kill something is a daily goal. This is the game where "child care" is locking a kid in a room with a bunch of rabid animals to scar them, sir, this is not far enough.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Pop cap
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 11:28:07 pm »

You can change your popcap, along with many other options, in the init file in your dwarf fortress directory.

I think you'll find that your game will run about the same speed anyway; dwarf fortress isn't really coded to utilize more powerful computer hardware.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 12:01:42 am »

Open file DFfolder\data\init\d_init.txt

Find the line:
[POPULATION_CAP:110]
And edit the number.

I think you'll find that your game will run about the same speed anyway; dwarf fortress isn't really coded to utilize more powerful computer hardware.

Not true. Better processor makes a huge difference. Yes, DF doesn't benefit from additional cores. But newer processors usually have higher clocks, and even if not, they have newer architecture, which means it can do more operations even with same clock speed.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 12:08:41 am »

I could be talking out of my anus. but i swear i think dwarf fortress uses multiple cores. at least when i run it all my 4 cores are being used at over 80% and this never usualy happens with any other games its usualy just 2 cores at most at any noticable usage

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 12:15:54 am »

No, DF is not multithreaded. Except a small part of the graphics code made by Baughn.
No idea how to explain your observation. Perhaps your operation system switches DF between multiple cores so it uses all of them. Still it will run only as fast as with one core (at best).
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 02:53:19 pm »

Yeah, though you can get a fair amount of increase if you set DF up to use 1 complete core and then run all of the graphics stuff on another core. Note that this only works if you set the graphics to partial, standard, or one of the other advanced modes. Elsewise all of your graphics stuff is still stuck on the same core as the rest of the game anyways.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.