Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 34

Author Topic: BYOR 8 - Game Over  (Read 101279 times)

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 8 - Day 2 (11/13): Can't Read That
« Reply #285 on: February 05, 2012, 12:24:28 am »

I did not foresee having a busy Saturday. I am sorry for not having been able to play, especially when I said I would. Tomorrow, after church, I will play catch-up and participate--but for now, I sleep!

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 8 - Day 2 (12/13): Can't Read That
« Reply #286 on: February 05, 2012, 01:32:57 am »

Well, please consider this with the assumption that I am a townie for a moment. If I am I KNOW that I am 100% town, okay? Now, anyone else can be scum since we have no "confirmed" town. Therefore the odds of lynching scum are better if I lynch someone at random than if I allow myself to be lynched. Therefore as a townie I decide to lynch at random because there is no point letting a confirmed (to me) townie die when I could take a shot at offing a scum.
Those odds are anywhere from 66-75% for hitting town. Those be bad odds.

It was Shakerag who has done absolutely nothing of use and has instead distracted others and prevented them from getting anything done. Therefore even if he is town he might as well be scum because he is not finding scum, and is simply a bystander, and as every platitude on bullying has taught us, bystanders are always part of the problem and never part of the solution.
And why do you think you were being lynched yesterday? Is it because you were being scummy and thus, distracting others?

Also, do inform me as to how Shakerag was preventing people from getting anything done? We managed to decide on a lynch target, before you fucked all that up.

Dariush:
Why did you feel the need to FoS me even though I generally respond to all questions directed to me regardless of whether the asker is alive?
I hate it when dead people's questions are left unanswered, and you hadn't answered them yet. Just a little pressure.

I told scum not to waste a kill on me in hopes that they will waste a kill on me while town will definitely not waste a protect on me. Yay WIFOM for scum.
Except the wine isn't limited to the scum, you're wining town as well.

Urist: I'm supposed to care? This is news.

Vector:That's a solid case.

Native:Basically, Shakerag is a huge jester, then isn't a huge jester, then is a huge jester, then is either an incredibly bastard-y jester or something else. Then we tried to lynch Zrk2 and failed because he used a oneshot on Shakerag that infinivoted him.

Toaster: Whatisthisidon'teven-
Why do you want to lynch someone who you think is a jester?
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 05, 2012, 03:03:39 am »

Well, please consider this with the assumption that I am a townie for a moment. If I am I KNOW that I am 100% town, okay? Now, anyone else can be scum since we have no "confirmed" town. Therefore the odds of lynching scum are better if I lynch someone at random than if I allow myself to be lynched. Therefore as a townie I decide to lynch at random because there is no point letting a confirmed (to me) townie die when I could take a shot at offing a scum.
Those odds are anywhere from 66-75% for hitting town. Those be bad odds.

They're still better than 100% for allowing myself to be lynched.

It was Shakerag who has done absolutely nothing of use and has instead distracted others and prevented them from getting anything done. Therefore even if he is town he might as well be scum because he is not finding scum, and is simply a bystander, and as every platitude on bullying has taught us, bystanders are always part of the problem and never part of the solution.
And why do you think you were being lynched yesterday? Is it because you were being scummy and thus, distracting others?

Also, do inform me as to how Shakerag was preventing people from getting anything done? We managed to decide on a lynch target, before you fucked all that up.

He was preventing people from getting anything done because his shenanigans drew attention to him and caused people to focus on him instead of on scumhunting. If he is scum we lynch him, no problem. If he's town, it's too bad, but it's better than lynching a productive townie. Also, who is this lynch target? Me? I just went over that.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 05, 2012, 05:35:24 am »

Actually, Dariush, why did you inspect the claimed miller?
Because I forgot about his claim. *facepalm*

Dariush, what do you have to say in light of Leafsnail's argumentation and his flipping town?
I don't care about his flip, I answered one of his 'arguments' and I still have no intention of fullclaiming because why the fuck should I do that and how would that make people believe my claim?

Except the wine isn't limited to the scum, you're wining town as well.
No I'm not. Scum have a choice between killing me, risking to waste a kill, and not killing me, risking to let an inspection pass if I don't die. Town has a choice between protecting me, which will kill me and thus is useless, or not protecting me, leaving me alive. There's no wine.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 05, 2012, 04:11:14 pm »

Okay, I'm back!

Vector:
That's the thing: Leafsnail was "town" (enough) and had a good argument against Dariush.  Dariush has an "inspect" result on Shakerag and a generally scummy demeanor.  If we lynch Dariush, then I think we're guaranteed to hit scum today or tomorrow.
There is nothing wrong with that plan, but I am not letting Zrk2 off that easily. I still do not like the way Zrk2 dodged the noose like he did. The excuse he gave about know that he himself was town, and wanting to do the rest of the town a favor by saving himself could have been applied by any scum under similar circumstances. I suppose I could believe his role-claim, but a mafiaso could be a Wikipedia editor for all we know.

Toaster:
I have stopped caring about Shakerag right now, so it makes no difference. He has been too convoluted over these two days to determine much of anything, no matter how convincing he is today (Remember: his mafia-knowledgeable friend hi-jacked his account and trolled us). I cannot bring myself to be gullible enough to even buy that, so I will just wait for him to misstep, and pounce. Also, that episode he was supposed to be featured in was postponed indefinitely; there are bigger fish to fry (Dariush, and to a lesser extent, Zrk2).

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 05, 2012, 04:18:48 pm »

But you know what?  Jester with a revive-on-lynch is an extremely bastardly role to give someone.  Let's lynch Shakerag again and make sure it sticks.
And if the game ended as a result?

If Zrk2 is telling the truth, he neutered Shakerag with his 'Edit' power. As a best case scenario, most, if not all of the role's bastardness is gone, so we could likely afford to spend our time and votes looking elsewhere. I say that chances are good that he will get killed by one of the town overnight regardless.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 05, 2012, 06:16:20 pm »

Orangebottle:
Urist: I'm supposed to care? This is news.
Yes, you are supposed to care about hunting scum. Yes, part of hunting scum is being aggressive. You should know this, so why don't you care?

Vector:That's a solid case.
Is it a solid case that you agree with? If so, then why aren't you voting Dariush?

Toaster: Whatisthisidon'teven-
Why do you want to lynch someone who you think is a jester?
How did you come to that interpretation? I'm reading it as "Shakerag probably isn't a jester."

Vector: I'm convinced. Dariush.

Sorry about my inactivity recently - papers + exams = busy.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 05, 2012, 07:27:13 pm »

Shakerag, where the hell are you and what happened to you tonight?

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 05, 2012, 08:40:49 pm »

If he is scum we lynch him, no problem. If he's town, it's too bad, but it's better than lynching a productive townie. Also, who is this lynch target? Me? I just went over that.

And how were you being productive at all? You aren't scumhunting, you're just answering questions -- it's the exact same behavior you were displaying right before yesterday's lynch. Remember how there were a lot of people asking you questions and calling you scum back then? Now it's only me. Are you content to find a target, then place your vote on them and do nothing else?

Who are you suspicious of besides Shakerag? Why aren't you scumhunting them?

PPE:
Shakerag, where the hell are you and what happened to you tonight?
That's...something. I'm not sure what to make of it; you're asking a guy who hasn't given a straight answer all game to answer your questions.

Yes, you are supposed to care about hunting scum. Yes, part of hunting scum is being aggressive. You should know this, so why don't you care?
That's not what I meant, but whatever.
I do care about scumhunting. What do you think I'm doing right now?

Is it a solid case that you agree with? If so, then why aren't you voting Dariush?
Yes. I'm not voting for him because I think Zrk2 is scummier.

How did you come to that interpretation? I'm reading it as "Shakerag probably isn't a jester."
I take things literally where votes are involved.
Sorry about my inactivity recently - papers + exams = busy.
Why are you apologizing for something that never happened? You don't look that inactive to me.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 05, 2012, 09:13:55 pm »

Do we still have the Lurker Tracker? Could it put in an appearance please?

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 8 - Day 1 (13/13): Look! In The Sky! It's Not Flavor Text.
« Reply #295 on: February 05, 2012, 09:15:28 pm »

I mostly buy Zrk2's defence. Though I'm still annoyed by his move, he's no longer lynch-worthy for today, given his role claim and justifications. Maybe not optimal play, but not necessarily scummy. Also, for the record:
It's basically a very noticeable day-ending day-vig power.
The day ended on schedule. Zrk2's shenanigans didn't trigger the day end. On the other hand, Shakerag's non-dying means he's likely not a jester, so his D1 play makes it possible Shakerag is scum in RIA mode.

Although weekends are generally lurky, I'm most suspicious of those who were lurking beforehand and haven't done anything useful yet. Like, say, Think0028: Please tell us your top scumpicks, and your reads of those I bold below.

Regarding Dariush, Here's what he said:
Toaster, you are scum, your role is Something Fun and your abilities are Fun, Something and Have Some.
I don't think that's Toaster's role; I tend to buy the notion that he tried to inspect him, got redirected, and whoever he hit has a "something" "fun" role, and is likely scum unless Dariush flips scum. I don't think his trying to inspect a claimed miller is necessarily scummy ("I forgot his miller claim", "why would scum single out a miller for inspection?" That's all WIFOM-street), but his lack of his own roleclaim to support it is. A miller claim is a null tell, meaning they're as likely a target for a town's power as anyone else. (That's the '"plan", isn't it, Toaster?)

Still, Dariush: please tell us your read of Urist I, Native/UristM and Think0028. What do you say about Leafsnail's points?

But my top likely scum spot goes to Flandre, for the following reasons:

a) Her very first jumpy RVS response[1] "Scum? Me? Go vote yourself!" Jumpiness may be noobness... or scumminess. Her explanation later of "just as planned! But I'll stop now!" smells to me of being caught and correcting a course when seen as scummy.[2][3]
b) Curiosity on cult clues[4] (yes, there's likely a cult, but scum are more worried about it than town on D1, and likely to insist).
c) Buddying attempt at me ("I'll agree with you to make you look elsewhere! please don't look too deeply at my posts!")[5], along with a massive "look at me! I'm contributing! I can't be scum if I do that!" feeling to her post... while at the same time jumping on the bandwagon du jour.
d) Many "can't post now, will post later" active-lurking instances [6][7][8][9]
e) Her tendency to jump onto badwagons/easy lynches. Zrk2's D1, and Dariush's today. Even her FoSs then and now have been bandwagony (Powderminer, Shakerag).

Bookthras: Why FoS Zrk2 and then not vote anyone?  Who is scum and why?
I FoS'd him at the start of the day because his move was scummy. I didn't vote him then to avoid a premature hammer. I no longer think he's scummy enough for my vote. Who I think is scummy is answered above.

Speaking of which, Toaster: Please give details on your millerness. Is it inspect-only, flip-only, both, neither, something else?

No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 05, 2012, 09:20:36 pm »

Do we still have the Lurker Tracker? Could it put in an appearance please?

Web-based LurkerTracker for this thread is here. If you'd prefer an in-line version (i.e., a post with the results/links), that should be doable as well, just say so.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 06, 2012, 12:29:21 am »

Stab me with a knife
Shoot me with a gun
It doesn't matter
I've already won

You won't want to hear
You will not be thrilled
When I share with you
I can not be killed

Because the inspect result seems to have picked up Shakerag's role, the "Something Fun" thinger.

It's not a half-bad guess
But seek another one
For I did not send in
The role of Something Fun

I think I should claim now
Here, for you, is my fate
I sent in
The Winner
of BYOR 8

(paraphrased, of course)
(Auto) Winner: I can not die nor change roles.
(Auto) Smart Alec: I can neither vote nor gain votes.
(1-Shot, Night) King Me [target]: Only the person I target can vote the next day, assuming they are alive. DISREGARD THAT, ZRK2 SUCKS HORSE COCKS.
(Auto) Red Herring: My auto abilites can't be removed or changed.  And this ability can't be detected. 

Remember when I said webadict must hate smartasses?  I meant it.  Now you can all stop fretting about what I'm up to. 

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 06, 2012, 01:13:35 am »

. . . Well, okay, then.  What's your alignment?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 06, 2012, 01:13:54 am »

Oh, and by the way, this is ridiculous.

*shakes fist*
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 34