Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wave Motion Repeater  (Read 961 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wave Motion Repeater
« on: January 18, 2012, 04:00:19 pm »

This is a simple little gizmo, but I thought I'd share it.

Code: [Select]
XXXXX
XpD.X
XpX.X
XXX.X
XXXXX

X = wall
p = pressure plate
D = door
. = floor

Link door D to a lever outside of the repeater. This is how you activate and turn off the repeater.

Set both pressure plates to repeat and requiring 4-7 water to trigger. Link these pressure plates to whatever you want to repeat endlessly.

Fill up the three empty spaces with 7/7 water. Once the three tiles are all at 7/7 water, stop adding more water to the system.

Open the door. This will allow water to spread out from 3 tiles to 6 tiles, meaning there is an average of 3.5 water per tile. This means that the water level for each tile will continually vary between 3 and 4. The pressure plate will trigger every time it hits 4.

To end the repeater put a dwarf on repeat pull the door lever, using the door to atom smash the water away. This will dry it out, causing the repeater to stop until you reload the repeater with more water.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:04:28 pm by Hyndis »

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
Re: Wave Motion Repeater
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:05:36 pm »

Quite nice. I always conceived (but have never needed, and never therefore assembled) such a repeater with a single tile of 7/7 water trapdoored into the (2x2) room from above, and a floodgate spilling into a drying corridor for deactivation.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 05:08:52 pm »

There's just one problem - pressure plates, once activated (and sent their "on" signal), require 100 ticks of "not triggered" in order to deactivate (and send their "off" signal), and in a setup like that, the water will be sloshing around so much that this might not happen as often as you'd like.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 05:09:14 pm »

...Perhaps use could be made of this as a dwarven bathtub? Sink it one z-level into the floor at the entrance to your fortress, and place ramps at either end?
When you want clean dwarves, just pull the lever.

Alternatively, fill it with magma.
When you want no dwarves, pull the lever.
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

glinmaleldur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 06:58:28 pm »

This gave me an idea that I've never tried, as I am still getting the hang of aquifers.
Is it possible to build a wave-powered power generator? The real question is do waves span multiple z-levels? If so you could build a caisson in the ocean with an opening at the level of the crest of the waves, going down over a watermill. This would lead to intermittent power, so you could build a transformer further away. The power from the wave generator would be used to fill a reservoir, that reservoir would then drain over a series of waterwheels into a lower reservoir, which would in turn get pumped back up by the wave generator. I would draw it out in ASCII but I am literally on the way out the door (my gf is giving me 'the look'). Really just a very complicated way to build a dwarven water reactor, but if it's not more dangerous and more complicated it's not DF!

This all depends on whether or not waves span z-levels. If anyone could weigh in I'd love to know if it's possible!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 07:00:19 pm »

There's just one problem - pressure plates, once activated (and sent their "on" signal), require 100 ticks of "not triggered" in order to deactivate (and send their "off" signal), and in a setup like that, the water will be sloshing around so much that this might not happen as often as you'd like.

Its not a high speed repeater, sure. You could make things repeat a lot faster if you just have a redundant array of dwarven lever pullers, but its a 100% reliable, 0 FPS hit lever. This one doesn't rely on a creature pathing around and doesn't use up a dwarf to pull on a lever. It doesn't even rely on a flow to work, so it will work without any noticeable FPS drain. Also once its set up it will continue to run forever, and requires no refueling unless you shut it down by atom smashing the water until its dry.

The design allows for room for two pressure plates, and both pressure plates can be linked up to the same objects to be moved, resulting in more toggle commands being sent to those objects.

If you want something to move very quickly, either expand the design and add in more pressure plates all linking the same thing, or build multiple wave motion repeaters and link them all to the same thing. You can link as many levers and pressure plates to the same object as you want.

I currently use a wave motion repeater to power my atom smasher pits. Its okay if the bridge isn't moving at every possible moment.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 07:03:48 pm »

This gave me an idea that I've never tried, as I am still getting the hang of aquifers.
Is it possible to build a wave-powered power generator? The real question is do waves span multiple z-levels? If so you could build a caisson in the ocean with an opening at the level of the crest of the waves, going down over a watermill. This would lead to intermittent power, so you could build a transformer further away. The power from the wave generator would be used to fill a reservoir, that reservoir would then drain over a series of waterwheels into a lower reservoir, which would in turn get pumped back up by the wave generator. I would draw it out in ASCII but I am literally on the way out the door (my gf is giving me 'the look'). Really just a very complicated way to build a dwarven water reactor, but if it's not more dangerous and more complicated it's not DF!

This all depends on whether or not waves span z-levels. If anyone could weigh in I'd love to know if it's possible!

While it is possible to create a wave motion power generator, there don't seem to be any reliable ways to do this. Sometimes you can get flowing water in a static pond. I've seen this happen myself, but I have no idea what caused it to happen, nor can I trigger it. It just sort of randomly occurs or doesn't occur.

If it does occur then yes you can build a wave motion power generator by covering the pond or channel with water wheels and it will produce power without any FPS loss.

A dwarven water reactor power plant can produce nearly unlimited amounts of power, but a DWR draws its power from the time-space continuum. The more power it produces, the more power it draws from the very fabric of time-space, thus causing the universe to slow down.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 09:19:36 pm »

I've never successfully got such designs to work... Since my failed tests, I've assumed that water has to be flowing to trigger pressure plates. Is the design in the OP proven? Does it actually work in game?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 09:21:20 pm »

I've never successfully got such designs to work... Since my failed tests, I've assumed that water has to be flowing to trigger pressure plates. Is the design in the OP proven? Does it actually work in game?

It doesn't generate any power, but it certainly does toggle pressure plates.