Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Wiki blackout  (Read 5141 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki blackout
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2012, 12:01:55 am »

Knutor tbh every post i have seen from you is semi-trollish and seemingly un educated, offensive, and showing a lack of perspective, the very thing you accuse people of.
please go read a fucking history book man before you say violence solves everything.

sure america is pretty much tilting towards revolution, but it wont happen for another 20-30 years. and look how far revolutions are getting countries worldwide right now. nowhere, at all.

so please contribute something other than "lets kill everyone"

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2012, 12:03:45 am »

Knutor I counter your entire philosophy of "Progress is Forged By Violence" with Gandhi's peaceful protesting leading to India's independence.

I assume you'll backpedal into "well it worked but it's not the best way" territory, so I'll head that off with asking:  How do you balance whatever qualities you use to determine "The best method of conflict resolution" with "human deaths brought about by violence"?  All things being equal, if you have two paths towards reaching a goal, one of which involves willful destruction of human life, what manner of ethics do you use to absolve yourself of choosing the violent path?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2012, 12:04:57 am »

Knutor I counter your entire philosophy of "Progress is Forged By Violence" with Gandhi's peaceful protesting leading to India's independence.

I assume you'll backpedal into "well it worked but it's not the best way" territory, so I'll head that off with asking:  How do you balance whatever qualities you use to determine "The best method of conflict resolution" with "human deaths brought about by violence"?  All things being equal, if you have two paths towards reaching a goal, one of which involves willful destruction of human life, what manner of ethics do you use to absolve yourself of choosing the violent path?

Violence is the most sincere path.

Sincerely,
Knutor

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2012, 12:05:26 am »

Violence is a catalyst to change.  I never professed it to be good or bad.  Geez.  It simply works.  Man you guys love putting people in stereotypes.

Blackouts and boycotts are chest pounding threats.  And verbal communications are akin to barking dogs.  Incoherent gibberish, to the afflicted is all that is.  A sad person, in a corner, sees only results.  Revenge takes on a perspective all its own, when there is no alternatives, but the one tool that succeeds, and causes change. 

That is why peace must always prevail.  However peace at what cost.  Some hospitals  have critical patient files on their website with no or little paper charts.  Is it okay for their webmaster to jump on this bandwagon of blackouts?  No.  It most certainly is not.  My argument is with the tools the activists choose to use today.  And with what works.  And if DF's wiki was going down.  Since in 3min today will be over, I honestly can say.. Crap, its over now.  I spent too much time editing this post. 

As a result of the blackouts, I am now short thirteen bookmarks, out of the ones I visit daily.  I could care less what the big wigs did, they have never done a damn thing for me, in all my life.  What makes you or anyone else think that has changed?  It's just a shame, so many sites don't realize their behavior today was simply a blink in a thousand points of light.  Many people I know were not even aware of this today in my RL, til I mentioned it to them.  To me this just further goes to proof, blackouts prove nothing.

What if the electric company did this daily, so its lobbyists could pass bills, or dictate government?  Its wrong.  The tool.  The timing, and the decisions to vote on it. 

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2012, 12:07:50 am »

I counter his philosophy of "Progress is Forged By Violence" with the fact that in this very case, extremely nonviolent action has already caused progress.

Blackouts and boycotts are chest pounding threats.  And verbal communications are akin to barking dogs.  Incoherent gibberish, to the afflicted is all that is.

Can you at least respond to the fact that, in this case, it has actually worked?

A sad person, in a corner, sees only results.  Revenge takes on a perspective all its own, when there is no alternatives, but the one tool that succeeds, and causes change. 

Some hospitals  have critical patient files on their website with no or little paper charts.  Is it okay for their webmaster to jump on this bandwagon of blackouts?  No.  It most certainly is not.

Nobody's saying otherwise.

As a result of the blackouts, I am now short thirteen bookmarks, out of the ones I visit daily.

Removing bookmarks just because a website had the audacity to go down for a single day for political reasons is nobody's fault but your own.

I'm not going to respond to the rest because I have no goddamn idea what is happening.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2012, 12:08:35 am »

So, how about them dwarves, huh?

I don't know how this thread got so out of hand so fast, or why you all continue to humor knutcase, but it needs to stop now. There's a SOPA thread in GD. If you feel strongly about it, discuss it there. Keep it out of DF Discussion. And for the love of Armok, lock this thread.

Sincerely,
Gatleos
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2012, 12:09:26 am »

A message to any trolls and any Escaped Lunatics (I need not point out names, you know who you are):

Our mutual internet is on the fringes of being destroyed by draconian regulations that are definitely one-sided, and would only benefit a niche group that have more influence over the country, and able to use said influence to also mess with the rest of the world from one degree to another (at least, through influencing impressionable next-generations) to follow what they want for their own benefits exclusively (namely, more $$$ from those of us which don't have any, so to put it).

Instead of acting like mal-informed "revolutionary" extremists (and suggesting ideas that sound as such, unrelated to DF levels of absurdity and humor), try to gain a better understanding of the situation at hand, and instead of acting like a know-it-all jackass, try re-reading what you're about to say before you post (and also read what others have contributed). If it won't contribute to finding a solution (especially one mutually beneficial to everybody (sometimes, a "common" person helping a "monarch" or "despot" is a far greater insult to them; especially if it exceeds expectations, and revolutionizes how things work from then on for the greater good for everybody (unrealistic, I know; but far stranger things have happened)).

Simply put, Take some time to review your posts, or risk summoning a great toad to stomp you out.

I suppose this can apply just about anywhere else. This is a discussion, not a shout-match.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:15:52 am by Itnetlolor »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2012, 12:09:38 am »

Some hospitals  have critical patient files on their website with no or little paper charts.  Is it okay for their webmaster to jump on this bandwagon of blackouts?  No.  It most certainly is not.  My argument is with the tools the activists choose to use today.

So you profess ignorance of the difference between the outward facing portion of a website and the internal portions.  Either that or you're reaching very hard for a reason to hate the blackouts so as to create a situation that has not, would not, and could not happen.  Your arguments are invalid.

Now answer my question as stated above and let us all know how you think murder is justified in governing a democratic country.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2012, 12:11:25 am »

Violence is the most sincere path.

Sincerely,
Knutor

My fibers grow turgid.  Violent action ensues.

Sincerely,
Knutor

(Lock the thread on this, please, I beg you.)

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2012, 12:24:42 am »

Edit:  Hey Crioca you really don't need to edit knutor's name like that, it's both childish and pretty dumb.  It detracts from actual discourse!  Just a tip.

>.> I honestly didn't realize what I was doing.  :o
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]