Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372621 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3540 on: May 24, 2014, 09:09:50 am »

There's also the fact that missles tend to be designed to punch partially through armor and then explode.
Nom nom nom

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: May 24, 2014, 10:51:41 am »

All decent points from Neonivek, and I think we do see a few cases where enemy ships bombard planets.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: May 24, 2014, 10:54:33 am »

There's one event where a mining colony wants to trade your scrap for your missile warheads so they can do some blasting. You can offer to fire a missile from orbit (which implies this can be done) but they refuse and say they need 5-15 warheads for their current job. Seems like in-universe confirmation to me.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: May 24, 2014, 01:26:42 pm »

Finally beat the boss on normal with Zoltan B, after selling literally all of my weapons and my zoltan shield to pick up a vulcan in sector 6. :D OF course all it did unlock was Zoltan C since I've already got the mantis ship, but it was still a nice win  (and a close one too, the question just came down to if my vulcan would land a hit or the intruders would destroy a system first since I won with only 1 hp).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: May 24, 2014, 05:28:04 pm »

I'm not sure selling the Zoltan Shield is worth the Vulcan. I guess it depends on how terrible your weapons were beforehand.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: May 24, 2014, 06:50:29 pm »

I'm not sure selling the Zoltan Shield is worth the Vulcan. I guess it depends on how terrible your weapons were beforehand.
It was really bad. Like... basic lasers and pike beam bad. :P Besides, I already had triple shield at the time, so it wasn't that big of an overall defense downgrade against anything but mass missiles (which zoltan shield only helps a little against anyways).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3546 on: May 24, 2014, 08:42:07 pm »

The shield also delays teleporters, mindcontrol, boarding drones, and hacking.

AE actually made the shield more useful to have.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: May 24, 2014, 09:02:19 pm »

Zoltan B's starting loadout is almost as effective as a Vulcan, especially early game where it will kill or cripple ships faster than the Vulcan would.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: May 24, 2014, 11:10:31 pm »

Zoltan B's starting loadout is almost as effective as a Vulcan, especially early game where it will kill or cripple ships faster than the Vulcan would.

Yeah but a Vulcan, IF you can keep it in the air long enough, is a game ender.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: May 24, 2014, 11:14:54 pm »

So are double Ion blasts and any damaging weapon.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: May 25, 2014, 12:26:48 am »

So are double Ion blasts and any damaging weapon.

Unless you miss.

It is why Ion strategies fall flat against the final boss in my experience.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: May 25, 2014, 12:37:21 am »

So I finally unlocked Mantis B after over a year of hearing everyone say how awesome it is.  I loaded it up on hard mode... and died pretty quickly.  Loaded it up on normal and was crippled early, limping along to the fifth sector.  This was partly due to some really bad play (I chose going to a single unexplored beacon over reaching the exit before the fleet.  I also lost a boarder early).

I tried again on normal.  Not only did I win, but I purchased every upgrade possible.  There was literally no more upgrades I could get without replacing a system.  I had to dismiss 9 crew members.  I gathered over 2400 scrap.  I had a flagship killing weapon setup (albeit only barely) AND four max fighter skill mantis crew, a boarding drone, and a maxed out mind control.  Not bad for my third try.

Still don't think its OP for hard mode.  Its weak in the beginning* and has a hard time attacking the flagship**, both of which are bad news in hard mode.

*vulnerable to several fairly common events, has to buy a lot of systems before it can do normal things.

**hard mode flagship spawns with the missile and heavy laser systems connected to the helm, meaning you need a way to take out the medbay and to survive the flagship's weapons for a good amount of overall time.  You also have to make a hard choice between cloak and MC because Mantis B starts with only 1 free system slot.  Note that I don't use boarding against the flagship very often, so there may be an easy way I'm missing.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: May 25, 2014, 12:48:12 am »

I used hacking last time I won with a boarding ship. Hack the medbay and the crew dies quickly. I've always found Mantis B sort of meh personally. Same with Crystal B. Boarding just doesn't feel that fun, even if it works.
Spooky Signature

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: May 25, 2014, 12:58:29 am »

It can be fun if you use Kestral A/B, Rock B, or a ship that isn't at all meant to board (I once used Zoltan C as a boarding ship on hard mode).  Basically something that can transition into a boarding ship but isn't primarily a boarding ship.

The primary boarding ships are a bit dull, because most boarding fights aren't about disabling the ship, they're about killing the crew.  So the only time you need to give orders is when your boarder's health gets low and the teleporter still has 10 second left to charge.  Then the Benny Hill music starts playing...

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: May 25, 2014, 01:05:42 am »

It can be fun if you use Kestral A/B, Rock B, or a ship that isn't at all meant to board (I once used Zoltan C as a boarding ship on hard mode).  Basically something that can transition into a boarding ship but isn't primarily a boarding ship.

I'll have to remember to try that at some point. Sounds interesting.

The primary boarding ships are a bit dull, because most boarding fights aren't about disabling the ship, they're about killing the crew.  So the only time you need to give orders is when your boarder's health gets low and the teleporter still has 10 second left to charge.  Then the Benny Hill music starts playing...

Sounds about right. Most fun I've ever had with a boarding ship was fighting the Flagship, because of the abnormally high level of tactics it required.
Spooky Signature
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 243