Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373230 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2430 on: November 29, 2013, 03:39:30 am »

Why does it feel like I'm always getting Mantis when a crew member joins? They're really only helpful if you happen to get a ton of boarders or start with a teleporter, unless you get really lucky and stand a chance of getting all six races for the achievement.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: November 29, 2013, 11:31:56 am »

Why does it feel like I'm always getting Mantis when a crew member joins? They're really only helpful if you happen to get a ton of boarders or start with a teleporter, unless you get really lucky and stand a chance of getting all six races for the achievement.

I think the game likes to give you whatever you need least. I had a ship that was going Boarders, lost my original mantis borders, and then the game gave me nothing but Zoltan and Engi. I eventually bought a rockman and human that worked ok, but I'd have loved to have gotten more Mantis that run.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: November 29, 2013, 02:36:59 pm »

Unless you're running the Carnelian and therefore it's easy mode anyway.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: November 29, 2013, 07:39:47 pm »

Unless you're running the Carnelian and therefore it's easy mode anyway.

Kestrel all the way so far. I've unlocked the Engi and Zoltan ships, but so far those have only resulted in horrifying defeat before even leaving the first sector.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: November 29, 2013, 07:43:55 pm »

Yeah... not all ships were created equal.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: November 29, 2013, 08:23:19 pm »

Engi ship isn't too bad, as Ion III is a very good weapon and the drones and augmentation are nice. Engi B is brutal, though, and I've yet to have much success with the Zoltan ship.

You know what I think would be a good/interesting mechanic? A timer. When you get into a beacon, the timer runs while unpaused, and the amount of fleet movement is based on how much time you took. If you take less time than your engine would spend charging at full power, you use the engine charge time instead.

And another thing: Does anyone find it odd that you have time to salvage an enemy ship in an asteroid field, but not in rebel-controlled space? At the same time, you have time to make upgrades and rearrange weapons in rebel-controlled space, but not in an asteroid field.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:13:57 pm by RedWarrior0 »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: November 29, 2013, 08:28:06 pm »

Zoltan ships have their decent bits.  Zoltan B has two Ion blast Is, which are equivalent to one Mk.III, plus the pike beam.  Enough to hammer through pretty much anything early on, and with the capability of ion-stacking shields later on in the game.  Zolt B is a bit like playing a stealth ship, since you have basically a free ticket out of the first volley, but need to work on getting proper shields in place.  Blocking boarders and bombs is an extra bonus, especially since only the ion bomb can actually damage the shield in any way (but getting one will knock it out in one hit).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: November 29, 2013, 08:32:36 pm »

For the most part the game tries to balance the ships between having a early game advantage, late game advantage, AND Salvage advantage (Or Overall advantage).

Basically you either start with very vital and useful systems early at the cost of stinking at the start.

Or you start off with a great starting build with everything you need, but you will have to replace everything later.

OR you start off with some method to get a salvage/missle/drone advantage which adds up.

And a combination of the three.

I actually find early advantage to be more fun.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: November 30, 2013, 01:16:43 pm »

So, after half a year of owning FTL and almost 29 hours of game time, I finally killed a boss.

Is it saying something that I took this long to record a single victory? :/
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: November 30, 2013, 02:14:01 pm »

Upside: Now that you know how to do it, it's much easier from here on in.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: December 01, 2013, 11:31:17 pm »

Yay :D

As I'm discovering now, Mantis boarders are fun to use :D
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: December 02, 2013, 12:15:57 am »

So, after half a year of owning FTL and almost 29 hours of game time, I finally killed a boss.

Is it saying something that I took this long to record a single victory? :/

It probably took me something like that.

I kept ruining promising runs by trying to unlock ships.  I had a Rock ship loaded up with like 6-8 lasers (some of them 2 damage beams) with strong systems and crew that I lost 6 crew to trying to unlock the mantis cruiser, then lost the last one to an event.  Ships having to go through ten rebel fleet beacons because I wanted a quest marker, ships sent into the slug homeworlds to die, that kind of thing.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: December 02, 2013, 12:54:07 am »

Yay :D

As I'm discovering now, Mantis boarders are fun to use :D

It gets even better when you have access to 2 crystals :D

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: December 15, 2013, 07:28:30 am »

So I just beat the rebel flagship in the stealth cruiser with more than half health remaining. Damn, that feels good.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: December 16, 2013, 01:33:38 pm »

So I just beat the rebel flagship in the stealth cruiser with more than half health remaining. Damn, that feels good.

Nice! I never get far with the stealth cruiser. The game loves to throw enemies with beam drones at me while I'm using that ship, and I tend to die before I have a chance to really upgrade it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 243