Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373228 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #2415 on: November 25, 2013, 06:33:07 pm »

Yeah the nebulae are a leisurely stroll through a goldmine if you're prepared.

Never works out that way for me. I always end up fighting an overpowered automated drone in an Ion storm when I try that approach. Usually one that has the optimal set-up to exploit whatever weakness my set-up has that particular run. That...pretty much never goes well.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: November 25, 2013, 07:13:36 pm »

I tend to shy away from nebulae quite a bit, unless I have long-distance scanners.  Then it's great, because you can just skip around the ion storms.  Storms aside, they really aren't that bad, aside from having occasionally fewer/worse events at the beacons.  Not a place to go if you're hurting for fuel though.  If you have a lot of Zoltans you might also consider it, since ion storms don't change how much power they grant you, so you have a slight advantage.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: November 25, 2013, 11:11:38 pm »

Ah, the beauty of a Stealth B win.

The Good Ship DOOMBUGGY, finishing with 5086 points

Glaive Beam plus Laser MKIII plus Ion Bomb means 5-shot followed by glaive beam for most ships, and leading with an ion for the tougher nuts to crack.

Fun fun, I finished with over 650 scrap too.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2418 on: November 27, 2013, 08:28:49 am »

Haha! First win get!

Easy mode, Torus with 3 Mk I Burst Lasers, a 2-star gunner, two automated reloaders, and two Mk I attack drones (would have been 3, but I messed up and left the hull repair  drone in after beating the second form). So. Much. Dakka! I switched out the attack drones for hull repair after the battles, and then for an anti-personnel to counter phase 2's boarding drones.
Had a level 1 teleporter, 3 rockmen and a mantis, but I can never manage to kill anything other than the gunners, despite reading through the most recent half of this thread. As a result of that and some annoying boss cloaking, I lost two of the rockmen, and the mantis made a heroic sacrifice in phase two to finish off a boarding drone that was almost-killed by my anti-personnel drone. Level 2 cloak during Phase 1, upgraded to 3 afterwards, and it saved my hide several times. Hull repair drone after phase 2 fixed me up to full hull (had 20+ drone parts), half of which I then lost.

Now playing through with the Fed Cruiser.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: November 27, 2013, 11:52:00 am »

Started a new game with a Redtail. One of the first encounters got me a free Weapon Preigniter. This...this is going to be GOOD.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2420 on: November 27, 2013, 12:02:27 pm »

You just jinxed it :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: November 27, 2013, 12:06:35 pm »

I will admit my favorite weapon, even though I think it isn't that good, is the lasers that do a line across ships.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: November 27, 2013, 11:07:27 pm »

You just jinxed it :)

Surprisingly, no. Another win on Normal. :)

Ended with Cloak, Teleporter, Drone control (Defense I and Hull Repair), Burst Laser II, Heavy Laser II, Halbard Beam, and Small Bomb. That combination with the Pre-Ignitor meant most ships got pretty well hammered before they could do anything at all to me.

Had a little trouble with the second phase of the Rebel mothership, but the 1st and 3rd phases were a cakewalk.
Come play Mafia with us!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: November 27, 2013, 11:13:24 pm »

Don't you just about HAVE to have a Cloak (or a ton of luck) to beat the boss?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: November 27, 2013, 11:25:21 pm »

4 layers of shields and 5 bars of engines with fully trained pilot and engineer are almost as good as a cloak. If you have a defense drone 1 there's basically no difference (you can run them out of drones by shooting down all the boarding drones in phase 2 then shoot the 2 constant ones down. the drone swarms are about half beams which don't do anything to shields).

A cloak with 1 bar is slightly more reliable, but killing the flagship without it is completely feasible, even for protracted fights.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: November 27, 2013, 11:26:27 pm »

Don't you just about HAVE to have a Cloak (or a ton of luck) to beat the boss?

No, but it's really handy to have.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: November 27, 2013, 11:30:49 pm »

I've had those before but the drone rush seems to be able to get you anyway.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: November 28, 2013, 12:55:02 am »

Nah, drone spam is easy enough when it's only beams and a single laser. But if they get your shield down, may Steve have mercy on your ship.

Just got my first Bravais win, unlocking Carnelian in the process. And holy mother of Steve just looking at it gives me the overpowered jitters.

I did have some trouble with one of the drone spams, particularly before I got the enemy weapons and actual drone systems down, but mostly it was okay. Hell, I even dodged the stage 3 superweapon without cloak most of the time. Ate a little bit in the shields, but nothing much.

Once I finally unlock the Rock cruiser and all the B layouts, I think the next plan is to go for the achievements.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: November 28, 2013, 01:20:52 am »

Yeah, generally speaking, I've normally got the evasion and shields necessary to shrug off dronespam and the superweapon.  Cloak is more just a guarantee than anything, although it does get to be a little irritating when the cloak recharge refuses to sync up with superweapon usage.

It's a bit of luck, as per usual, but even if you do get a lot of laser drones they have the tendency to not be particularly coordinated in their attacks, which means having a good person manning the shields can really help shrug them off.

More than anything, though, cloak is used for those harrowing moments before you manage to disable that damned rocket launcher.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: November 28, 2013, 02:05:25 am »

Just got my first Bravais win, unlocking Carnelian in the process. And holy mother of Steve just looking at it gives me the overpowered jitters.

Carnelian is absurd. There's pretty much no way to lose if you're actually at the keyboard pushing buttons.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 243