Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373980 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1095 on: September 25, 2012, 01:42:33 pm »

Honestly, I feel like I paid too little for it. A game of similar quality produced by a big studio would be going for $25, and this is much, much better than the standard $25 dollar game.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1096 on: September 25, 2012, 01:48:49 pm »

I have to agree with Gryph about this. The game if produced by a big company would have been much more to buy and probably contain nasty DRM, it cost hardly anything and if you buy from the website has no DRM which honestly in a modern game is worth the amount of money the game itself costs to me.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: September 25, 2012, 01:54:17 pm »

After some thought, I think my next playthrough will be with the Federation Cruiser. As much as I'm interested in the Zoltan ship, I really can't turn down the cool laser weapon lol. The first episode with the new ship will likely be up tomorrow or the day after.

Out of curiosity though, is there some rhyme or reason to where the homeworlds appear? For example, is there always a homeworld at a certain numbered sector? Or are the sectors which are at the edge of the map more likely to be homeworlds, etc? I assume that each racial ship tends to be unlocked in their respective homeworld?

I want to know this too, I've been trying to unlock the mantis/stealth ships because those are the only ones that require me to have specific crew members, yet I only find the homeworlds around half the time and when I do I get unlucky finding the beacon.

As far as I can tell though, it's just a completely unbiased random chance to find them anywhere past the second sector.  I used to think the edges were more common but I'm not sure any more.  If it's any help, rock/mantis are red, slug is blue, and engi/zoltan are green.  And yes, you assumed correctly, with the exception that the engi one unlocks a federation ship for some reason.  Oh, and the Zoltan and Rock quests are quite easy, I completed them both in the same run, on the first try too.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: September 25, 2012, 01:57:00 pm »

I think it's a decent price. It's a great game and it's only real flaw is the lastability. I think I would very much like to see a sequel to this that adds more depth however and perhaps elevate it beyond the current "random encounter" mechanic. A FTL and SPAZ (FTLSPAZ) mash-up would make for a wonderful game.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: September 25, 2012, 02:00:27 pm »

I want to know this too, I've been trying to unlock the mantis/stealth ships because those are the only ones that require me to have specific crew members, yet I only find the homeworlds around half the time and when I do I get unlucky finding the beacon.

My method is generally to aim myself at regions that I know are the right color - whichever path has the most. Mantis homeworlds are always red, Engi homeworlds are always green. Once there, it helps if you have long range sensors - for the Mantis, I believe you're looking for a ship square, and for the Stealth ship, I believe you're looking for a not-ship square (distress maybe?)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: September 25, 2012, 02:05:11 pm »

After some thought, I think my next playthrough will be with the Federation Cruiser. As much as I'm interested in the Zoltan ship, I really can't turn down the cool laser weapon lol. The first episode with the new ship will likely be up tomorrow or the day after.

Out of curiosity though, is there some rhyme or reason to where the homeworlds appear? For example, is there always a homeworld at a certain numbered sector? Or are the sectors which are at the edge of the map more likely to be homeworlds, etc? I assume that each racial ship tends to be unlocked in their respective homeworld?

As far as I can tell though, it's just a completely unbiased random chance to find them anywhere past the second sector.  I used to think the edges were more common but I'm not sure any more.  If it's any help, rock/mantis are red, slug is blue, and engi/zoltan are green.  And yes, you assumed correctly, with the exception that the engi one unlocks a federation ship for some reason.  Oh, and the Zoltan and Rock quests are quite easy, I completed them both in the same run, on the first try too.
I have no idea how it actually works. But, looking at sector_data.xml, I see some "minSector" values in there.

So if I had to guess, I'd say some sector types have minimum sector numbers before they're generated.

Sectors that have minSector values that aren't 0 are:
Final: Minsector 7.
Engi home: Minsector 2.
Mantis home: Minsector 2.
Slug home: Minsector 3.
Slug sector: Minsector 3.
Zoltan sector: Minsector 1.
Zoltan home: Minsector 2.
Rock sector: Minsector 1.
Rock home: Minsector 4.

Do note, since "Final" is 7 when there are at least 8 sectors if I recall correctly, the game engine could be counting the sectors as one number lower than what it says in-game.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:31:20 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: September 25, 2012, 02:18:54 pm »

I can pretty much say right now it does. :P Starts counting at zero, of course.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: September 25, 2012, 02:21:02 pm »

Interestingly enough there's no regular Mantis sector listed. I don't know if it's an oversight on your part or actual fact, but if it's the latter it's kinda interesting to see that they, being the most aggressive species by far, are also the least expansionist along with the Engis.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: September 25, 2012, 02:29:13 pm »

Interestingly enough there's no regular Mantis sector listed. I don't know if it's an oversight on your part or actual fact, but if it's the latter it's kinda interesting to see that they, being the most aggressive species by far, are also the least expansionist along with the Engis.
I only listed sectors that have minSector values higher than 0, which is no minimum. Mantis sectors have a minSector value of 0.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:30:45 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: September 25, 2012, 02:37:35 pm »

Welp.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: September 25, 2012, 03:02:28 pm »

I get to Sector 5 on my first game.  Launch my second game with my new Engi ship, die in my first battle.  This is ridiculous how the heck do the Engi survive unless they run from every fight.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: September 25, 2012, 03:05:07 pm »

I get to Sector 5 on my first game.  Launch my second game with my new Engi ship, die in my first battle.  This is ridiculous how the heck do the Engi survive unless they run from every fight.
1) Ion blast enemy weapons, set to autofire.
2) Launch Anti-Ship drone.
3) You basically win, unless the enemy has a lot of shields, and by the time they do you should have additional weapons.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: September 25, 2012, 03:07:32 pm »

3) You basically win, unless the enemy has a lot of shields, and by the time they do you should have additional weapons.
Not actually guaranteed.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: September 25, 2012, 03:09:13 pm »

Not actually guaranteed.
Very few things in this game are :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: September 25, 2012, 03:09:47 pm »

Anyone have a good strategy for the Federation Cruiser? I always get a great start and then get curbstomped around Sector 5. Not sure why it's so much harder than the Kestrel. I've tried upgrading Shields a lot, Engines a lot, the Artillery Cannon, regular weapons...nothing seems to work for me and I can't really tell why.

Hmm. I usually die to robot ships in Ion Storms. Maybe I just need to invest a bit in Excess energy so I can get past those.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 243