Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374045 times)

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #975 on: September 24, 2012, 04:46:16 am »

Just got this game,
done 4 games, got to the enemy flagship once, and got to its 3rd stage.
first 2 times I played on normal, 2nd 2 times I played on easy, got to flagship on 2nd time playing on easy, still just have the starting ship and the 2nd ship.
going to play one more game of it tonight.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: September 24, 2012, 06:44:45 am »

I've done about 18 games by now (complete and incomplete ones), and I've unlocked the federation, the engi (both layouts), crystal (both layouts) and zoltan ships.

I've been trying to get the slug ship for a while now but its hard to adjust your course to find the slug home nebulas, and the event itself seems rather rare.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: September 24, 2012, 07:33:57 am »

Kestrel, A&B
Engi ship, A&B
Federation Cruiser, A
Rock Cruiser, A

So, plotwise...

The Engie: Very logical speech, good machinists, generally peaceful. Loyal to the federation, have a pact with the Mantis. Have not done well since the fall of the federation. There are no primarily Engie pirates, though they may join pirate crews.
Mantis: Not friendly to the federation, but also not hostile to them - so long as they stay out of Mantis space. Enjoy hunting Slugs, who they hate, and Rocks, who they see as worthwhile enemies. Very frequently found as pirates.
Zoltan: Independent, strong believers in the letter of the law and quick to deal with potential threats and criminals. They have some advanced technology, and the Zoltan wise men can be alternately destructive or helpful, depending on their mood. Sometimes found as slavers or pirates.
Slugs: Disliked by everyone. Often found as pirates and slavers, and fight through trickery and subterfuge - often risking interspecies incidents by pretending to be a race other than their own. Particularly hateful of the Mantis.
Rock: I know nothing about these guys. Fairly common pirates. Like to fight, but do not use subterfuge like the Mantis and Slugs.

Umm... Aren't the Engi friends with the Zoltan, not Mantis? Also, shouldn't it be "Mantis: Not friendly to the federation, but also not hostile to them - so long as they stay out of Zoltan space." Demanding they stay out of their own areas is... illogical.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #978 on: September 24, 2012, 07:55:08 am »

Umm... Aren't the Engi friends with the Zoltan, not Mantis? Also, shouldn't it be "Mantis: Not friendly to the federation, but also not hostile to them - so long as they stay out of Zoltan space." Demanding they stay out of their own areas is... illogical.
You're misreading what he wrote. The Mantis are demanding that the Federation stay out of Mantis systems.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: September 24, 2012, 08:00:20 am »

You know, I actually haven't seen any evidence the Engi are friends with the Zoltan. I thought so at first, but I've got nothing to back it up.

I've been trying to get the slug ship for a while now but its hard to adjust your course to find the slug home nebulas, and the event itself seems rather rare.
It took me a while to realize slug homeworlds were green instead of purple. What's up with that.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: September 24, 2012, 08:05:36 am »

The game's description for the engi says they're allies or at least friends with the zoltan I think.

And the slug home nebula is blue cause its, well, a nebula :P, and they're the only true neutral race me thinks, neutral as in "we dont hate anyone, we just like to manipulate everyone" kind of neutral.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: September 24, 2012, 08:28:34 am »

Are you sure? I know slug controlled nebula's are purple, but I am almost certain their homeworlds are green.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: September 24, 2012, 08:36:47 am »

Nebulas are purple (normal/slug), friendly regions are green, hostile are red.

Because slug homeworlds are in nebula, it's purple region too.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: September 24, 2012, 08:58:54 am »

Also, the Rock are religious fanatics.  They generally fight the other factions because they're "heathens".

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: September 24, 2012, 08:59:55 am »

Yeah, I actually found the slug homeworld once upon a time and it was specifically referred to as the "Slug Home Nebula". Sadly, I didn't find much by way of slug ship there, but eh, at least I discovered that it was a nebula sector.

Rocks are religious fanatics? I thought they were just paranoid about protecting their culture from other species, which is why I described them as xenophobic.
Also often called Boowells.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: September 24, 2012, 09:09:36 am »

They are pretty religious either way. You can have a random encounter in the rock homewords in which a rock ship needs help but won't accept it. One of the options include claiming you were sent by the gods to help them. Since I chose the other option and they didn't believe me, I guess that one would work.

The zoltan seem to be composed of philosophers and crazy moral guardians, who will attack you for wandering into an asteroid field for whatever reason. They seem pretty powerful too, I recall meeting some crazy zoltan philopher that could open warp gates by sheer force of will.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: September 24, 2012, 09:19:54 am »

OMG, there IS a blue option for Giant Space Spiders event O:

Spoiler: It is... (click to show/hide)
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #987 on: September 24, 2012, 09:27:05 am »

I... kind of want to do a forum RPG based in this universe.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: September 24, 2012, 09:30:06 am »

Well I thought that it wouldn't be that hard, you know.

Just need to write down the weapons/ships/events (wiki is your friend?). Weapons and whatnots you have and the whole battle is just timed 'addition and substraction', so there's nothing huge to tinker with.
Of course the most troubling would be the turn/time system because the game is pretty much real-time and every second something happens.

Hmm.
SigFlags!

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: September 24, 2012, 09:31:02 am »

I... kind of want to do a forum RPG based in this universe.

Do it. I'd join in if I wasn't absolutely terrible at keeping an eye on forums other than "Other Games". They just move too fast for me.
Also often called Boowells.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 243