Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374246 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #525 on: September 17, 2012, 03:21:28 pm »

Dead (yet) again!  :-[

So...missiles.  Am I right in thinking that apart from defense drones and evasion (including cloaking), there's no way to avoid getting your backside handed to you in fairly short order?  As in, not finding/not using at least one of those two options is going to result in a fairly rapid death by shield-skipping explosions?
Ion/ boarder spam against the enemy weapons systems work quite well too.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 17, 2012, 03:29:21 pm »

How often do you guys tend to use autofire? I find that locking in my main targets (usually weapons/drones) and helps a lot since I don't lose firing efficiency and can pay attention to issues like fires, boarders, and energy usage more closely.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 17, 2012, 03:30:58 pm »

How often do you guys tend to use autofire? I find that locking in my main targets (usually weapons/drones) and helps a lot since I don't lose firing efficiency and can pay attention to issues like fires, boarders, and energy usage more closely.
All the time. I prefer using ion cannons, which fire every 3 seconds or something with a level 2 boarder. I just which we could turn one weapon on auto and the rest on manual.Blown my own boarding crew up four times so far.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 17, 2012, 03:31:26 pm »

So far I use it pretty much constantly, and I've managed to win twice on normal.   Its probably slightly better to not use it, but I'm forgetful so it helps me out some. 

Sometimes if I need to time or sync my weapons I'll just powerdown the weapon and turn it back on.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #529 on: September 17, 2012, 03:35:37 pm »

So far I use it pretty much constantly, and I've managed to win twice on normal.   Its probably slightly better to not use it, but I'm forgetful so it helps me out some. 

Sometimes if I need to time or sync my weapons I'll just powerdown the weapon and turn it back on.  :)
You can stop the autofire without powering the weapon down by pressing the hotkey (1, 2, etc) and then right clicking instead of picking a target

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 17, 2012, 03:39:37 pm »

Oh nice.  I didn't know that.  Thanks!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 17, 2012, 03:47:35 pm »

I use it all the time. Why bother ordering each shot, especially if they're going to be for the same target, when your attention could be put to more productive use?

Also, wow, the final sector is no joke. I just died to one random rigger with boarding and anti-ship drones. Oh, and his missiles. Can't forget his missiles. He managed to kill my captain with a missile as he was going to medbay after wiping out both my engines and piloting with missiles. He had 4 points of shielding too...

Oh well, at least I got the No Redshirts and Technophobia achievements. On my first run of the game. On normal. I'm pretty happy with what I got, I'm not gonna lie.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 17, 2012, 03:52:27 pm »

Who waits all weapon to line up and yells 'FIRE!!!' at the monitor?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 17, 2012, 04:00:23 pm »

I use it all the time. Why bother ordering each shot, especially if they're going to be for the same target, when your attention could be put to more productive use?
Cause shields regenerate and you can get more shots in on the actual ship when you fire simultaneously? Not to mention beam weapons don't do anything (or are considerably weaker) when the shields are up, but can be devastating when fired in the time frame when they're down.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 17, 2012, 04:07:41 pm »

Cause shields regenerate and you can get more shots in on the actual ship when you fire simultaneously? Not to mention beam weapons don't do anything (or are considerably weaker) when the shields are up, but can be devastating when fired in the time frame when they're down.
Which is why I want to be able to set one weapon to auto and the others manual. I need the ion cannon to suppres their shields and weapon systems, but I don't want my lasers/ missiles/ whatever I'm using to go to waste.

Sure I can redesignate every so often, but I'm lazy /forget full.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 17, 2012, 04:13:06 pm »

I just had my first run with Torus.

I'm still amazed by how powerful was my heavy ion, 2x heavy laser and anti-ship drone. Shields down and then either system lolfails or just going for oxygen reserves. Got to Sector 6 easily but then a missile-spamming Mantis ship + solar flares in backgrounds got me :v
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 17, 2012, 04:13:28 pm »

Hehe, I just had a Zoltan ship fight me. Then when he was about to lose, he decided to join my crew for free.

Of course, his ship had already fired two shots, both of which hit the captain's quarters where he was in. He had 10 health in the end. He nearly killed himself with his own ship!

You have a point there. Though... I've barely found a case where I actually needed simultaneous fire from lasers.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 17, 2012, 04:54:22 pm »

Muaha.

Muahaha.

MUAHAHAHAHA!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Advantage: rock men.  :D

(Ignoring the fact that I only have one actual weapon, of course.  I will change that.  Also, I've managed to get a cloak, a teleporter and a drone control by this point...which is before the end of sector two.  C'mon, fingers crossed...)
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 17, 2012, 04:55:22 pm »

What does Heal B. do?

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 17, 2012, 04:57:37 pm »

What does Heal B. do?

It's a heal bomb.  Like a normal bomb, except when it explodes it heals nearby crewmembers instead of damaging them.  Obviously intended to be used on your OWN crew.  ;)

Might actually be quite handy for me, as I'm running these guys as a boarding team and it'll save beaming them back to my ship for healing.  I picked it up as a random drop, though, so I may end up selling it off for scrap.  I need to get my upgrades going, now that I've got the basic systems purchased.  Also need a defence drone.  And more crew would be handy.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 243