Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: patrol routes  (Read 487 times)

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
patrol routes
« on: January 15, 2012, 08:59:57 am »

i have fortifications carved in the mountain overlooking the main entrance and am trying to set up a patrol route for my marksdwarves behind them. however these stupid beings seem to think its wise to patrol on the OUTSIDE of said fortifications -.-

is there a way to keep them patrolling on the inside without closing the whole fortress? caravans should still be able to get in..
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: patrol routes
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 09:14:49 am »

Tell them to patrol with one tile's worth of berth away from the fortification? You are using note points for patrol right?

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 09:20:40 am »

Tell them to patrol with one tile's worth of berth away from the fortification? You are using note points for patrol right?

sadly not possible... to one of the waypoints there's only a narrow 1 tile wide hallway, so they have to walk adjacent to the fortifications. what about defining a burrow over the area and let them defend it. will that work?
(yes, i am using note points)
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 11:28:58 am »

Hmm, traffic restrictions (d->o->r) might help - if you paint the outside of the fortifications as Restricted, the pathfinding might prefer to go through the one-tile-wide hallway rather than outside of them.  I seem to recall reading a topic (which Search has not helped me to find) regarding someone getting their military to patrol along a very, very specific pathway by using a combination of traffic restrictions (for when they were moving) and burrows (for when they were standing still/defending a point).
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 01:30:11 pm »

If you tell a squad to station somewhere, they will move to within 3 tiles of that point, even through walls. I assume this applies to routes as well.

I suggest that you use burrows, since they don't have this problem. They won't move much when they're defending a burrow, though.

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 02:07:04 pm »

i've set the patrol points a little different and it seems to be working for now..
waiting for the next goblin siege...

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 02:09:29 pm »

Having no floor on the wrong side of the fortifications might help (treanch or build up 1 z-level). It will also stop baddies standing right next to them and negating thier usefulness.
This is a blank sig.

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 05:00:44 pm »

Making the side you want them on a high traffic area should work too, particularly if you make the other side restricted.
You can make them patrol a very specific path with just 4 points and a lot of traffic restrictions.