Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Disabling the Collosus of Bronze  (Read 2938 times)

Alpha Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disabling the Collosus of Bronze
« on: January 12, 2012, 05:51:38 pm »

Sometimes it is really tough to kill and yet totally dismantled as far as the description relates. Perhaps certain golems and collosuses  ??? that are made of tough minerals should become immobile and incapable of action after certain prerequisites are met. I think that these creatures should become the statues they rightfully are after fracturing and denting their limbs to a point, like is implemented in skeleton creatures, defined as a number of surplus damage.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Disabling the Collosus of Bronze
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 12:58:26 am »

I've found removing the head works. Seriously, look at it the DF way:

Tried smashing?
Try stabbing.
Tried stabbing?
Try hacking.

If all fail, magma.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 02:23:23 am »

ya you need VERY good axedwarves. VERY good wrestlers also help.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 04:56:54 pm »

I just have this one recruit who refuses to train correctly and got attached to a rock short sword, yet he has killed 3 titans and a number of megabeasts. usually in one shot. he scares me...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 05:01:00 pm »

I just have this one recruit who refuses to train correctly and got attached to a rock short sword, yet he has killed 3 titans and a number of megabeasts. usually in one shot. he scares me...

This kinda thing warrants its own thread ;)

Also, wouldn't having hp or a disable button go against principles in DF? Bronze Colossi just wouldn't be the same if they were taken down by 120+ peasants punching them to death.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 12:25:55 am »

I remember reading on the Wiki that Bronze Colossi suffer from cumulative damage.
So as long as you keep denting and chipping it, it should go down eventually...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 05:49:58 pm »

I have two solutions, no three,actually, if your willing to hear me out, Loud Whispers, since this might affect people who don't like 'cheating'...

A) Dfusion ----> Sacrifice millions of elves.
B) Lead it underground and magma the damn thing.
C) Epically killing it with a sqaud of three dwarves in candy armor, or steel if candy is not available.

Alpha Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 05:27:32 am »

This kinda thing warrants its own thread ;)

Also, wouldn't having hp or a disable button go against principles in DF? Bronze Colossi just wouldn't be the same if they were taken down by 120+ peasants punching them to death.

If meek and filthy peasant hands can actually fracture and dent a collossusses entire body, then fifty more iterations of them pounding on it should render the colossus paralyzed.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 07:57:42 pm »

but unarmed meek and filthy peasant cant hurt a Bronze Colosus in any way.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 12:26:16 am »

Try using a pick.  Mine your way through until you burst through its chest.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 01:54:26 pm »

even a copper pick will cause fractures, because copper is denser than bronze -wich has the less dense tin in it-
So if you manufacture a crap ton of picks or warhammers, you should be able to bring it down with peasentry swarms that are armed with such tools.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 01:59:12 pm »

If meek and filthy peasant hands can actually fracture and dent a collossusses entire body, then fifty more iterations of them pounding on it should render the colossus paralyzed.

Meek and filthy peasant hands can't fracture or dent colossi bronze though :(

even a copper pick will cause fractures, because copper is denser than bronze -wich has the less dense tin in it-
So if you manufacture a crap ton of picks or warhammers, you should be able to bring it down with peasentry swarms that are armed with such tools.

This works though :D

Alpha Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 10:08:58 pm »

You guys realize punching it to death was only an example based off of someone's post. The point still stands. Exactly how dented and fractured can a collosus get? I assume someone will say, "Well, obviously just so much until it finally dies," though that wouldn't make much sense as two guys with similar strength in fighting ability can take drastically different amounts of time in putting it down with the exact same attacks.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 10:18:03 pm »

I remember reading on the Wiki that Bronze Colossi suffer from cumulative damage.
So as long as you keep denting and chipping it, it should go down eventually...

This is a true thing. I had one fort where I was trying out danger rooms, and had cruddy copper equipment for all my dwarves because it was the only thing on the map. Had, I believe, 4 10 dwarf squads, or thereabouts. Anyway, the colossus comes, and I throw my army at it. I'm dealing damage, and putting multiple body parts into the red, but the thing keeps crippling/killing my dwarves. Worse, this was before the healthcare fixes.

Eventually, almost the entire military was dead or hospitalized, except for about 4 melee dwarves and 6 or 7 marksdwarves. The only thing standing between them and the colossus was the fact that said monster had leapt into one of the various ponds scattered about.

So, except for the thing scaring my dwarves despite now being completely harmless, life returned to normal in my fort for about 10 minutes in real time, when a minotaur showed up. I send out my ragged, war-torn squads, and focus on the minotaur. My melee dwarves show up (bolstered by a few choice recruits), and start getting the pants beat off of them. After a bit, I realize my marksdwarves aren't shooting him, and what remains of my melee squads was being beat to death by a cow man.

I went to see what they were doing, and they had just started making their way toward the minotaur. Satisfied, I resumed my vigil. So then they run up and beat on the minotaur with their crossbows, and start getting beat on in return. Fantastic.

On a whim, I go to check my deceased list, to see how many dwarves had actually been lost, and I see the colossus on the list. I checked the reports, and found that the marksdwarves had expended all their ammo on it, which was why they were meleeing the Minotaur, apparently.

Apparently, one of the crossbow bolts severed it's upper body.

I was unfortunately unable to recover the statue before winter set in and froze it into oblivion, and the fort was soon steamrolled by a goblin siege backed with trolls, with all my dwarves in the hospital. A couple cage traps thinned their numbers, but my civilians were helpless.

Never going to forget that colossus though. Unlucky bastard.

TLDR: I nickel and dimed a colossus, eventually severing the torso with a friggin' crossbow bolt.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 12:40:18 pm »

Apparently, one of the crossbow bolts severed it's upper body.

I see you cut down a tree with a minigun.

I cut a living bronze statue in half with a crossbow.
Pages: [1] 2