Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Location for Hordes of Enemies?  (Read 894 times)

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
Best Location for Hordes of Enemies?
« on: January 12, 2012, 03:02:33 pm »

Hi there, my problem is that most of my fortresses tend to be a bit on the tame side, at least as far as beasts and zombified pachyderms go. No matter how hard I try, no matter how evil/savage the location appears to be the closest I've come to anything dangerous is a herd of zombified capybaras. What are the ideal locations for evil beasts?
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Location for Hordes of Enemies?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 03:42:37 pm »

Zombified elephants will only be found in evil tropical shrublands and tropical fortests, and then only sometimes. They do exist; one especially short-lived fortress of mine had literally a dozen zombie elephants on the map from the moment I embarked. Your best bet for finding some is to get a site that's on the intersection between two or more evil elephant-friendly biomes. This will give you both biome's fauna.

If you're comfortable with modding you could add [UBIQUITOUS] to the elephant creature definition, which will make them spawn in every single elephant-friendly biome so no more hunting around. You could also up the population per map square, create a mammoth variant for colder climates... and then use advanced world generation to make almost the whole world terrifyingly evil so it is completely filled with zombie pachyderms.

If you don't want to do that kind of customization yourself then the much-beloved Fortress Defense Mod gives you the option for adding a seiging civilization composed of huge nonanthropomorphic elephants that sometimes wear armor.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 03:55:40 pm »

Zombified elephants will only be found in evil tropical shrublands and tropical fortests, and then only sometimes. They do exist; one especially short-lived fortress of mine had literally a dozen zombie elephants on the map from the moment I embarked. Your best bet for finding some is to get a site that's on the intersection between two or more evil elephant-friendly biomes. This will give you both biome's fauna.

If you're comfortable with modding you could add [UBIQUITOUS] to the elephant creature definition, which will make them spawn in every single elephant-friendly biome so no more hunting around. You could also up the population per map square, create a mammoth variant for colder climates... and then use advanced world generation to make almost the whole world terrifyingly evil so it is completely filled with zombie pachyderms.

If you don't want to do that kind of customization yourself then the much-beloved Fortress Defense Mod gives you the option for adding a seiging civilization composed of huge nonanthropomorphic elephants that sometimes wear armor.

I wasn't actually being particularly serious about elephants that was more just to illustrate the point, but the idea about mammoths is a pretty cool one.
Steam page!

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 04:36:25 pm »

Embark in a location that has 2 biomes, terrifying and haunting, or more. I heard more creatures will enter your map if you have multiple biomes.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 04:54:11 pm »

Every site has a bit of fun, you just need to dig deeper.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 05:05:52 pm »

blanket aquifier, no stone, bit hard.

Is there a tag somewhere in one of the raws that increases that maximum amount of animals in place at a time?

edit: I do also wish to retract my implication that Capybaras aren't dangerous. One just ripped off my milita commander's arm and beat her to death with it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:07:45 pm by LuckyNinja »
Steam page!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 06:50:26 pm »

blanket aquifier, no stone, bit hard.

Is there a tag somewhere in one of the raws that increases that maximum amount of animals in place at a time?

edit: I do also wish to retract my implication that Capybaras aren't dangerous. One just ripped off my milita commander's arm and beat her to death with it.
Not really. The only way to increase the amount of animals on screen at the same time is to embark on multiple biomes (I also believe that tropical zones tend to have more wildlife then non-tropical ones). Also elephants aren't the thing you need to be worried about, its the giant skeletal badgers that are really dangerous.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 08:03:38 pm »

The only way to increase the amount of animals on screen at the same time is to embark on multiple biomes
This is not true. To increase the amount of animal HERD you need bigger embarks. I believe 4x4 or 5x5 is the minimum for a second herd. To increase the amount of animal in a single herd, you need to increase their cluster size.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 08:12:57 pm »

The only way to increase the amount of animals on screen at the same time is to embark on multiple biomes
This is not true. To increase the amount of animal HERD you need bigger embarks. I believe 4x4 or 5x5 is the minimum for a second herd. To increase the amount of animal in a single herd, you need to increase their cluster size.
Sorry, mixed up total animal populations vs. animals on the screen at once in my head for some reason.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.