Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Got king arrived screen, king did not actually come  (Read 1818 times)

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Got king arrived screen, king did not actually come
« on: January 11, 2012, 08:08:43 pm »

As title. I believe the royal animals came, as I suddenly had a reindeer, a piglet and another animal on the animal screen, but his entourage did not come. In the noble screen I can no longer access "progress to kingdom" or whatever, so I am 100% sure I am actually a mountainhome right now.

I had the pop cap at 150, i had about 166 (due to all the god damn babies). Am I screwed now?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:11:08 pm by tyrspawn »
Chris Krause
Soundsense Mod Community Organizer
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Got king arrived screen, king did not actually come
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 08:15:56 pm »

Do any of your dwarves have the title/profession of King? (Does this show up in the Nobles screen?  I've haven't gotten that far yet so I haven't had to deal with anything beyond the expedition leader/mayor. I really should put more effort into keeping a fortress going. ;) )
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 08:17:00 pm »

Not sure about this particular example, but I've heard of strange things happening when some person should have appeared, but that they'd actually died in worldgen.  Or maybe gotten so injured that they actually appear as a corpse on the edge of your screen, the game realising that they are not alive as soon as they appear.  But I take it that you don't have a king's corpse or have someone new mentioned in your deadlist?

(Or is it the old "The king arrived in disguise" thing?  You know, it's been ages since I've even noticeably had a king, despite going all the way through the elevation and promotion of Baron->Count->Duke.  Can't remember the last time I ever had any messages regarding the monarch, even demands for roads...  (I often have plenty of bridges to fulfil the general architecture requirements).)

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 08:25:17 pm »

I officially got the message saying the king has come and you are a mountainhome.

Theres no king or entourage though >_<
Chris Krause

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:58:20 pm »

Not sure about this particular example, but I've heard of strange things happening when some person should have appeared, but that they'd actually died in worldgen.  Or maybe gotten so injured that they actually appear as a corpse on the edge of your screen, the game realising that they are not alive as soon as they appear.  But I take it that you don't have a king's corpse or have someone new mentioned in your deadlist?

(Or is it the old "The king arrived in disguise" thing?  You know, it's been ages since I've even noticeably had a king, despite going all the way through the elevation and promotion of Baron->Count->Duke.  Can't remember the last time I ever had any messages regarding the monarch, even demands for roads...  (I often have plenty of bridges to fulfil the general architecture requirements).)

Nowadays, the king only arrives in disguise if you have a ludicrous amount of candy--so far as I can tell, you have to mod candy to be a layer stone to even have a chance.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 09:58:39 pm »

King might've died in legends before he got to your fort. Although since you're now the mountain home, it appears like you just bugged and removed the king from existence. Hey, why do you even need a king? :p

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 10:02:09 pm »

King might've died in legends before he got to your fort. Although since you're now the mountain home, it appears like you just bugged and removed the king from existence. Hey, why do you even need a king? :p
"Nae king! Nae quin! Nae laired! Nae master!  We willnae be fooled again!"

Sorry about that, the quote just came to mind...  Crivens!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 10:28:36 pm »

Pasture the piglet in the king's throne room.  All hail king piggy!
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 11:29:38 pm »

"Nae king! Nae quin! Nae laired! Nae master!  We willnae be fooled again!"

Sorry about that, the quote just came to mind...  Crivens!

"Crivens!" indeed. My mind jumped to The Lion King ("No king! No king! Neener neener neener!") instead of The Wee Free Men. Yours is the nerdier reference, and I salute you.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 12:11:31 am »

Check the nobility on the (c)ivilization screens, the king might be dead.  If so, guard your baron, she/he is the true ruler of dwarfkind.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 12:18:59 am »

Pasture the piglet in the king's throne room.  All hail king piggy!

Napoleon is our lord and master. Napoleon knows all.

Two legs bad, four legs good!
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 05:06:54 am »

I once got the announcement and received the entourage but no king. Then I checked the 'c'ivilization screen, and saw that my civilization had no leaders of note.  Then I was a sad panda.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 06:41:06 am »

I once got the announcement and received the entourage but no king. Then I checked the 'c'ivilization screen, and saw that my civilization had no leaders of note.  Then I was a sad panda.

Though you did get an entourage that probably had 3-4 legendary armsdwarves without getting an extra noble making mandates.

The one king I got identified as a "peasant" in the lists since he wasn't trained in any skills.  I promptly made him a farmer and then cross-trained him for a few levels in a lot of areas to make him a true dwarf of the people.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 08:15:06 am »

Check your graveyard. Do you suddenly have a new corpse there you never noticed before?
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 02:25:30 pm »

From the noble screen "your civilization has no important leaders"

No leaders are listed under the civ.

Dear god, did my civ get killed when i wasn't looking or something?

Shame, I wanted the court members like philosopher/alchemist/dungeon master etc
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:27:11 pm by tyrspawn »
Chris Krause
Pages: [1] 2