Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So my roommate is currently in the bathroom either tripping on acid...  (Read 1794 times)

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

....or else attempting to banish a ghost back to the afterlife. I am entirely serious. I live in a real cool house with two really weird people (craigslist). The reason I suspect he's trying to banish a ghost is that the mirror inexplicably broke in there last week and I jokingly said "it must be haunted." He was like "well, I have a lot of experience dealing with evil spirits." I was not nearly as convinced as I'd wish to be that he was also joking.

Edit: Either that or he was taking a really intense dump. He just flushed and left.

Edit 2: For clarity, he was talking in really weird intonations. Like, occult-chant type intonations. Could not hear the words and was not about to go and ask.

Is this really my life? I don't know what's worse, ghosts and a roommate who knows how to deal with them, or no ghosts and a roommate who thinks he knows how to banish ghosts.

ITT, discuss insane living situations you've been in.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:13:15 pm by Africa »
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: So my roommate is currently in the bathroom either tripping on acid...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 07:13:43 pm »

:o What.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 07:16:46 pm »

Just as long as the ghosts don't get angry and start ripping off limbs, you should be good.  I guess if you can get the ghosts' names from him you could engrave a memorial to them and save him the trouble of banishing them.  :P

Anyway, I've been lucky with room mates so far: my brother has been my room mate for years and I've never had to deal with anybody else.  I suspect when either of us has to move away, I'll just pay the rent wherever I go by myself because I'd rather not have to deal with people tripping on acid in the bathroom.  Or exorcising ghosts.  Or coming in drunk and puking on everything.  Or other stuff.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 07:17:09 pm »

Man that sounds like a really interesting conversation you're avoiding. Talk to the dude, heh.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 08:01:42 pm »

craigslist

This here is probably where you first went wrong.

As for insane living conditions, I've done pretty well living-conditions wise.  I went to a summer camp once where the other kids in the bunks shouted "masturbation" and "waterfalls" well past midnight.

My first home was an apartment outside Cincinnati, and my parents moved out when a stray bullet took out a window in their car.
Shoes...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 08:08:12 pm »

I've been very lucky so far. My first roommate was a guy from out in the sticks who worked on a dairy farm, outweighed me by about 200lb, went home on weekends, and shared no interests with me. It worked out perfectly, because we hardly ever even talked to each other, he didn't drink or party, and I never had to deal with random assholes wandering into my space at 3am.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 08:52:41 pm »

Miraculously, craigslist actually got me a good apartment. 400 bucks a month in rent and utilities and a 10 minute walk to work, and best of all, a sane roommate. 3 months later and I'm still waiting for the catch to make itself apparent (the catch is that there was no parking). If talking about our apartment-renting experiences is where this thread is going, anyway.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

OwlEpicurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 09:47:25 pm »

I've had three roommates.  The first was rather unremarkable because we we're almost never both in the room and awake at the same time.  My second roomate was...interesting?  I was in Germany for a summer language program (I lived in Aachen for ~5 years when I was younger, and I hoped that going back for a bit would help me relearn German).  My roommate was from Spain.  She would stay out all night and then wander into the room at 6 am.  She was pretty nice overall, though, so I can't complain too much.

My current roommate is pretty cool.  We have somewhat similar interests, and we haven't had any major problems.  Well, with each other, anyways.  Now the neighbors...let's just say one of their favorite activities last semester was staying up until 1 am singing Disney songs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 11:58:52 pm »

Offer a tribute of Doritos to the vengeful spirits that threaten your mirrors?

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 08:20:11 am »

Funny you should mention doritos. Last Friday morning I woke up to find the sink in that bathroom was clogged, and there were some potato chips floating in the water.

The other roommate, meanwhile, occasionally flips out in the middle of the night and stumbles around screaming and cursing at, apparently, nothing for a while. I think she might be a werewolf.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 08:41:51 am »

Talking to people who might be in trouble or need help doesn't bring shame. 

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 08:49:13 am »

Its a shame that I have nothing but bad experiences with people who strongly believe in spirits.

Mind you one of them was legitimately crazy and the other was a semi-evil-opportunist

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 06:06:08 pm »

Semi-evil-opportunist as in a sometimes evil when he has an opportunity, or a somewhat evil opportunity maker?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.