Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do bad thoughts go away?  (Read 2210 times)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do bad thoughts go away?
« on: January 08, 2012, 10:12:40 pm »

Do thoughts of dwarfs dying in combat eventually go away or do they keep accumulating without ever being deleted?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Do bad thoughts go away?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 10:22:07 pm »

the preference screen will only show a list of most recent happiness modifiers but they do stack up, both god and bad thought. Note that dining in a legendary dining room totally negate the bad thought from having one's child mauled by a bear.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 10:27:52 pm »

Bad thoughts do vanish over time.  At any time a dwarf should only be affected by the thoughts listed on their preference screen.  Once a bad or good thought times out and vanished from the screen, it no longer affects the dwarf.  Furthermore, I suspect that thoughts of the exact same type don't stack (a dwarf can only have a single bad thought of the exact same kind at once) but I'm not sure of that.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 10:46:56 pm »

Bad thoughts do vanish over time.
Open the therapist and stare at their happiness meter until your have a better understanding on this matter.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 11:04:12 pm »

The wiki is the source of all (DF) knowledge: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Thought

The answer to your question is more complicated than a yes/no, because dwarf preferences/moods are fairly intricate (and hilariously broken) in DF. 
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 03:27:19 am »

Bad thoughts do vanish over time.
Open the therapist and stare at their happiness meter until your have a better understanding on this matter.
Well as long as you remembered to refresh it every once in a while, else wise it's not gonna change no matter how long you stare at it. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 04:40:52 pm »

Thoughts from dying in battle do not go away. The dwarves are too busy decomposing to care.

Thoughts from friends dying in battle might; I'm pretty sure I've seen thoughts go away eventually.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 10:24:54 pm »

Thoughts from dying in battle do not go away. The dwarves are too busy decomposing to care.

Thoughts from friends dying in battle might; I'm pretty sure I've seen thoughts go away eventually.

That is my main concern. Are there really "acceptable losses" in DF? Or will they accumulate into an inevitable tantrum spiral no matter how rarely they happen?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 11:05:11 pm »

Yes, bad thoughts go away after 1 year IIRC. Their effects are also lessened to half of the happiness penalty/boost at the 6 month mark (at least this was true as of 40d). As for GreatWyrmGold his post was a bit of a joke there, since if a dwarf dies in battle then they will be dead and therefore their thoughts won't go away. The thought caused in all of their friends due to their death will though.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

UnexpectedSalad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 11:37:39 pm »

One of my best military dwarfs has been unhappy for ages. Almost like he has PTSD, started after an ambush killed 2 of his friends and his wife lol.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 11:45:06 pm »

One of my best military dwarfs has been unhappy for ages. Almost like he has PTSD, started after an ambush killed 2 of his friends and his wife lol.

Get him to kill a whole bunch of things / witness lots of death, he should start being content.

UnexpectedSalad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 01:09:29 am »

Get him to kill a whole bunch of things / witness lots of death, he should start being content.
Killing and witnessing more death will make him better?........... lol

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 01:10:42 am »

Well killing things does give the "took joy in slaughter" thought and after seeing enough death dwarves "don't really care about anything anymore" so yes, seeing more death will make him better. Rather dwarfy, isn't it? :P

UnexpectedSalad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 01:23:17 am »

Well killing things does give the "took joy in slaughter" thought and after seeing enough death dwarves "don't really care about anything anymore" so yes, seeing more death will make him better. Rather dwarfy, isn't it? :P
Hmm, sounds more like training a dwarf to become a future psychotic murder that will destroy my fortress. But alright, lol.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 01:46:06 am »

Hmm, sounds more like training a dwarf to become a future psychotic murder that will destroy my fortress. But alright, lol.
If you want him to train a psychotic murderer, give your fortress guard candy weapons and your mayor have a preference for slade.