Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roads and Crutches  (Read 1051 times)

Stargazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roads and Crutches
« on: January 06, 2012, 10:39:16 pm »

Now, I haven't exactly played for a while. The last time I did, I recall that crutches were broken and that, even when made, amputated dwarves refused to use them. Is this fixed in the current build?

My second question involves roads. Other than using them to pave areas so that tress and shrubs don't grow on the tiles underneath, is there a purpose for using roads? Does connecting them to the edge of a map tile caravans in any way?

Xelanthol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roads and Crutches
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 10:48:03 pm »

Crutches are fixed in the latest version (hospital got a tiny touch up) but as far as I know roads don't do much of anything yet.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 10:50:34 pm »

My second question involves roads. Other than using them to pave areas so that tress and shrubs don't grow on the tiles underneath, is there a purpose for using roads? Does connecting them to the edge of a map tile caravans in any way?

Roads keep grass and moss from growing on sand or clay you want to be collected. You can also build them for aesthetics, since the cave grasses can be quite ugly.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 11:00:06 pm »

I don't think they still have a real purpose, especially now that wagons are gone.  You can use them to train architecture, prevent tree infestations, dispose of blocks and nice roads might give happy thoughts (im not sure). 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 11:03:47 pm »

I don't think they still have a real purpose, especially now that wagons are gone.
Wagons aren't gone, they're just missing in action (specifically, civilizations never think they have access to them) - once the next version of DFHack is released (or if you download the sources and compile it yourself), there'll be a plugin which brings back caravan wagons (and just needs to be run once in each world you generate).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 01:44:31 pm »

I don't think they still have a real purpose, especially now that wagons are gone.  You can use them to train architecture, prevent tree infestations, dispose of blocks and nice roads might give happy thoughts (im not sure).

You need a certain amount of road wealth to get the monarch to move in according to the nobles screen.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 12:05:39 pm »

I don't think they still have a real purpose, especially now that wagons are gone.
Wagons aren't gone, they're just missing in action (specifically, civilizations never think they have access to them) - once the next version of DFHack is released (or if you download the sources and compile it yourself), there'll be a plugin which brings back caravan wagons (and just needs to be run once in each world you generate).
Will this also increase the accessibility to goods besides the 'light and easily portable' ones? I mean, I like bins of cloth, but wagons full of bins of cloth is probably not going to help me much more than pack animals full of bins of cloth - there's only so much of it I need, after all. On the other hand, being able to request bins full of iron bars or bins full of serrated discs means being able to rid myself of surplus 'trash' and still get something useful - in quantity.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 03:18:27 pm »

Roads use up less building material than floors as well, but you can't build them over open spaces or put traps on them.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 04:00:49 pm »

Will this also increase the accessibility to goods besides the 'light and easily portable' ones?
No - they'll continue to bring exactly the same kinds of goods, but now they'll be able to bring more of them before running out of room. Of course, since the trade capacity values are way too high, they were never running out room in the first place - when the caravan departs, pretty much everything is going to get loaded onto the first wagon.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 01:25:32 am »

they have one neat use. If you can rig it so that there's only one path from your trade depot to the edge of the map that a wagon could use (even though there aren't any wagons) then the caravans will almost always spawn there on the edge. I use roads to keep the path clear.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 08:15:30 am »

I've got a one legged miner hobbling around on crutches just fine, so those work now for sure.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 01:25:42 pm »

Roads are handy in sewerage systems, too.  That long drain tunnel off the mapside, that vents your flood trap will get blocked up by veggies, if its not roughly paved.

I never had much luck running a road off the map.  They don't seem to link across zones.  One level change, and the road is unlinked.  I guess if I build a 2nd Depot out in an unsafe area this might be possible, however.  Something to try the next fort. 

Lost my last one, to some wierd starvation fluke.  Out of the blue, my dwarfs just started dying of thirst.  Was wierd, I just figured it had something to do with all the undead miasma around the fortress.  Wierd tho, I had buckets, water access open to anywhere, and an opperational well, and 6 stills. 

Dunno, but I'm starting a new one outside the evil regions, that miasma cloud is just too annoying to play around.  If it were a little less obstructive, visually, I'll try it again, but my lord, it goes up and down zones, and spreads way too far. 

Zombies need mini-miasma clouds, IMHO.  Too cruel on the end users using tilesets, otherwise.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.