Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 959174 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8595 on: November 10, 2014, 10:34:51 pm »

I find exalt the easiest enemy unless they swarm before your squad can actually start attacking. Otherwise, I just get to kill each exalt enemy as they drop in and attempt to do whatever.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8596 on: November 10, 2014, 10:41:54 pm »

Sirius: Just kill all the exalt troopers and that glitch can never happen. :D
I did. The glitch happened anyway.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8597 on: November 10, 2014, 10:52:53 pm »

now Sirus is all scared of (mostly) pushover EXALT kiddies :<

Although I did lose a covert operative once, due to bad planning on my part. He ate a critical laser sniper shot, but only started bleeding out. He was carrying the only medikit.

You can guess how the rest played out then.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8598 on: November 10, 2014, 11:15:52 pm »

now Sirus is all scared of (mostly) pushover EXALT kiddies :<

Although I did lose a covert operative once, due to bad planning on my part. He ate a critical laser sniper shot, but only started bleeding out. He was carrying the only medikit.

You can guess how the rest played out then.
"Oh thank God, he is only bleeding out.  Now to find my medic.  Are you the medic? Are you? Are you? Are you?  Please please please be you... damn it."
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8599 on: November 10, 2014, 11:21:24 pm »

I'm not exactly scared of EXALT. I just dislike how they can cause insta-panic in a country, and then if I go to fight them and win the battle perfectly I can still lose a soldier to the whims of a bug.

Sooner I eliminate them, the better.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8600 on: November 10, 2014, 11:23:40 pm »

I used my gene-modded colonel sniper for the covert operative, with a plasma pistol, the treats-half-cover-as-full-cover skill, double-tap, etc, and that is just terrifyingly effective. 'Course, it was still normal difficulty, so exalt wasn't very threatening unless they decided to use their rockets.

Edit: Oh, IIRC that bug can only happen on one of the two mission types (the extraction one, not the defend one), and you can save before launching the mission and reload if you get the extraction one, and it'll reroll it and potentially give you the other mission type. So you can avoid it entirely that way.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:25:54 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8601 on: November 10, 2014, 11:26:51 pm »

Quote from: Lightningfalcon link=topic=98553.msg5798111#msg5798111
"Oh thank God, he is only bleeding out.  Now to find my medic.  Are you the medic? Are you? Are you? Are you?  Please please please be you... damn it."
Pretty much, lol. We still went on to eliminate EXALT though, no lasting phobias.

@Sirus: Yeah, bugs are a real pain, especially during ironman runs. Commiserations, but that's about all I can say.

"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8602 on: November 10, 2014, 11:29:36 pm »

I used my gene-modded colonel sniper for the covert operative, with a plasma pistol, the treats-half-cover-as-full-cover skill, double-tap, etc, and that is just terrifyingly effective. 'Course, it was still normal difficulty, so exalt wasn't very threatening unless they decided to use their rockets.

Edit: Oh, IIRC that bug can only happen on one of the two mission types (the extraction one, not the defend one), and you can save before launching the mission and reload if you get the extraction one, and it'll reroll it and potentially give you the other mission type. So you can avoid it entirely that way.
...Okay, the skill of the covert operative had nothing to do with anything. The operative I lost was a skilled assault who didn't take a single hit during the course of the mission, and indeed killed a few EXALT soldiers. We cleared the map of enemies, and I moved the operative into the evac zone. The mission ended immediately. Then when we got back to base, he randomly died. The result would have been the same whether the operative were a rookie or a gene-modded colonel.

THAT'S why I dislike fighting EXALT. Because their missions are buggy and soldiers can die completely at random. And I play Ironman, so no reloading to get a favorable mission type.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8603 on: November 11, 2014, 04:20:06 am »

I'm wondering if the higher difficulty settings are more of a challenge, or if I should just try Long War (or if it would be a mistake to go straight from Normal to Long War because of how easy/forgiving Normal is)?

Normal difficulty on vanilla XCOM is pretty easy (easy difficulty is like kindergarten mode), classic is a significant step up and impossible is much more difficult. A big factor change between Impossible and Classic is grenades not 1 shotting sectoids but the big change between normal and classic is that the AI will do less super stupid stuff.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8604 on: November 11, 2014, 04:30:42 am »

I'm wondering if the higher difficulty settings are more of a challenge, or if I should just try Long War (or if it would be a mistake to go straight from Normal to Long War because of how easy/forgiving Normal is)?

Normal difficulty on vanilla XCOM is pretty easy (easy difficulty is like kindergarten mode), classic is a significant step up and impossible is much more difficult. A big factor change between Impossible and Classic is grenades not 1 shotting sectoids but the big change between normal and classic is that the AI will do less super stupid stuff.

There is quite a bit more between normal and classic.

Sectoids being able to one shot kill your troops, aliens are able to kill civilians during terror missions when you aren't looking, and hmm I forget it has been a while.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8605 on: November 11, 2014, 05:21:06 am »

Only ever played on vanilla normal so far, but what I really enjoyed about the Exalt missions (especially the transmitters missions) was that since Exalt loot is mostly worthless, I felt free to just turns everything into a wasteland with explosives. It's much easier once you've destroyed all cover around the transmitters and can just shoot coverless Exalt operative.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8606 on: November 11, 2014, 10:53:10 am »

aliens are able to kill civilians during terror missions when you aren't looking

This happens on normal too, particularly with chryssalids.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8607 on: November 11, 2014, 11:27:00 am »

aliens are able to kill civilians during terror missions when you aren't looking

This happens on normal too, particularly with chryssalids.
Yeah, I'm not sure where you got that particular difference from. Aliens might be more aggressive about killing civilians during terror missions on Classic difficulty, but it still happens quite a bit on Normal.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8608 on: November 11, 2014, 12:05:48 pm »

The main difference is that chryssalids turn the people they kill off screen into zombies more often on higher difficulties.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8609 on: November 11, 2014, 12:12:30 pm »

But the worst part about terror missions on any difficulty is the fact that sometimes civilians just die without rhyme or reason if you can't see them. Easily the most aggravating part of terror missions for me.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 625