Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958831 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8130 on: June 29, 2014, 09:00:05 pm »

It's one of the few cases in which preventing accurate fire is more important than doing damage, or even doing damage to other enemies.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8131 on: June 29, 2014, 11:07:51 pm »

Also, dense smoke and/or telekinetic field pretty much makes your team invulnerable for a turn, which gives you time to set up and dish out the pain next turn.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8132 on: June 29, 2014, 11:48:51 pm »

Yo, vets, how do you take down a Sectopod without anyone getting killed? This is by far my biggest issue, I've never beaten the game because of these motherfuckers.

Addendum: I want to take it a bit further and say one Sectopod isn't too bad, if I can use a Heavy as a 1-turn sponge and unload all my firepower during the following turn. Nah, it's when you have to deal with 2 or 3 in a single mission.
Lots of snipers.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8133 on: June 30, 2014, 12:08:03 am »

Anyone have a link to that really early trailer that ends with the soldier stabbing the muton?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8134 on: June 30, 2014, 12:09:12 am »

Enemy Unknown: Like everything else, squadsight plasma sniper two-shot, garnish if necessary.

Enemy Within: No.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8135 on: June 30, 2014, 12:10:55 am »

Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #8136 on: June 30, 2014, 12:18:10 am »

Anyone have a link to that really early trailer that ends with the soldier stabbing the muton?
This one?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8137 on: June 30, 2014, 12:21:33 am »

I know what you're talking about, I swear it was a really early conceptual animation showing how they thought they'd have gameplay work, I've seen it with my own eyes on the youtubes, but I can't find it on youtube for the life of me.

Well then.

2 Hover SHIVs floating in the air and constantly toggling suppression and reloading while the rest of the team takes potshots. Think I also had a heavy with suppression who also took turns suppressing until reloading so that I could always have 2 suppressions on the pod at any time. It's worked, I've done it. Can't say no one got injured, but no one died.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8138 on: June 30, 2014, 12:35:07 am »

This one?
Is that the one with the weird robot that come out of the barn? I can't get the videos to play. If so, then no.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8139 on: June 30, 2014, 12:38:26 am »

Four fully upgraded MECs (max rank), one P.O.'d heavy with heavy plasma, plasma grenades, and a freakin' Blaster Launcher, and a maxed out sniper with plasma.  Sectopod = scrap in two turns or less.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #8140 on: June 30, 2014, 12:57:40 am »

Yeah I think I linked the wrong one.  It's this one.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8141 on: June 30, 2014, 12:58:26 am »

Well then.

2 Hover SHIVs floating in the air and constantly toggling suppression and reloading while the rest of the team takes potshots. Think I also had a heavy with suppression who also took turns suppressing until reloading so that I could always have 2 suppressions on the pod at any time. It's worked, I've done it. Can't say no one got injured, but no one died.

Does this tactic work when fighting two Sectopods simultaneously?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8142 on: June 30, 2014, 01:32:30 am »

Yeah I think I linked the wrong one.  It's this one.
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8143 on: June 30, 2014, 01:36:49 am »

Well then.

Does this tactic work when fighting two Sectopods simultaneously?
You don't actually HAVE to fight them both simultaneously.

The biggest mistake novices make is not realizing they can actually run away from battles. Don't like how pinned down you are or how screwed you're going to be? Ask everyone to GTFO.

I was under the impression that non-EW Sectopods are even easier to kill as they don't get that 50% damage reduction. About 60% sure it's exclusive to EW. If that's the case, just nuke them with heavies and their bonus damage to machines. You can easily kill two of them in a turn that way.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8144 on: June 30, 2014, 02:00:20 am »

I was under the impression that non-EW Sectopods are even easier to kill as they don't get that 50% damage reduction. About 60% sure it's exclusive to EW. If that's the case, just nuke them with heavies and their bonus damage to machines. You can easily kill two of them in a turn that way.
Sectopod 50% damage reduction is indeed exclusive to EW.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 625