Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958792 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8040 on: March 18, 2014, 05:41:30 pm »

Worst I've had to do is reinstall my mod whenever steam fancies updating the files and finds the exe tampared with. Fast enough to fix back up when I have the necesary config saved away somewhere, if annoying.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8041 on: March 18, 2014, 08:19:46 pm »

For those who don't know, Microsoft has long given program files invisible mandatory security that quietly reverts any changes the user makes within it.  So modding steam games is impossible until I find the time to backup all the games I care about.  At least I think its impossible.
Windows Vista had this, but 7 and 8 don't.
I've played around in Program Files on Vista and 7 and never had any problem changing anything in Program Files. Every time someone gave a warning to move stuff out of Program Files I just ignored it and nothing bad ever happened.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8042 on: March 18, 2014, 08:20:57 pm »

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8043 on: March 18, 2014, 08:22:30 pm »

For those who don't know, Microsoft has long given program files invisible mandatory security that quietly reverts any changes the user makes within it.  So modding steam games is impossible until I find the time to backup all the games I care about.  At least I think its impossible.
Windows Vista had this, but 7 and 8 don't.
I've played around in Program Files on Vista and 7 and never had any problem changing anything in Program Files. Every time someone gave a warning to move stuff out of Program Files I just ignored it and nothing bad ever happened.
I remember trying to mod Oblivion while I had windows Vista, and eventually I just had to reinstall it in a different folder because nothing would work.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8044 on: March 19, 2014, 11:39:06 am »

Worst I've had to do is reinstall my mod whenever steam fancies updating the files and finds the exe tampared with. Fast enough to fix back up when I have the necesary config saved away somewhere, if annoying.

Your saved games don't stay degraded?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8045 on: March 19, 2014, 11:42:23 am »

Turn off automatic updates?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8046 on: March 19, 2014, 12:03:40 pm »

Long war sounds fucking awesome, unfortunately my steam folder is in my program files and there are too many savegames for me to want to risk migrating it somewhere.

How to migrate your Steam folder elsewhere:
1) Move your steam folder. Just Ctrl-X Ctrl-V the folder elsewhere. Drag and drop works too.
2) Run Steam once. Steam will give an error message to the tune of "It looks like steam is in the wrong place. Fix everything y/n?"
3) Tell Steam to fix everything.
4) Your Steam folder has now been migrated.

At least that's how it worked for me when I had to reinstall Windows after a hard drive failure. It looks like Steam, unlike basically all other Windows programs, is actually responsible with its registry edits and can fix them if necessary.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8047 on: March 22, 2014, 10:38:10 pm »

You can put hats on your soldiers. (Except Annette. Fuck you, Annette.)

Fedoras are an option.

WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED?!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8048 on: March 22, 2014, 11:17:52 pm »

That's how I felt when I found out, too.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8049 on: March 22, 2014, 11:34:30 pm »

Enemy Within Is a really odd expansion...

I want to ask questions on it but I don't want to be spoiled.

Mainly, and I am not asking, I want to know if it is a "This is how the original game ACTUALLY went" or if it is a "Alternate timeline created at a future point".

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8050 on: March 22, 2014, 11:42:23 pm »

It's the former. The new additions appear right from the start, without much explanation for their existence, and even if they technically have no business to appear so early. Standard DLC fare.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8051 on: March 23, 2014, 12:11:13 am »

It's the former. The new additions appear right from the start, without much explanation for their existence, and even if they technically have no business to appear so early. Standard DLC fare.

That is disappointing. I liked the fanfic letsplay someone made where the meld were actually from the future, sent to the past to try to change the direction of the invasion (I didn't know it was a fanfic letsplay at the time)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8052 on: March 23, 2014, 12:13:41 am »

You know what's total bullshit about EW? Sleeveless Gene Mod soldiers. It would make them sense to wear more armor, or if they wanted to look badass and capable, put them in some casual clothing or something, not like they're going to a beach party.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8053 on: March 23, 2014, 12:15:11 am »

Ugh, yeah. I hate that, especially with stuff like the Titan Armor where it ruins the entire effect of the armor.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8054 on: March 23, 2014, 12:17:43 am »

Ugh, yeah. I hate that, especially with stuff like the Titan Armor where it ruins the entire effect of the armor.

True that, it's like the Gene Mod makes their arms totally resistant to plasma. If Gene Mods make your muscles much tougher, then they might as not wear armor at all. Hell, Gene Mod soldiers should run around fighting aliens in their underwear or naked. I'd be cooler with that.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.
Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 625