Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958982 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7920 on: February 16, 2014, 09:06:04 pm »

Wait, are you saying it sold for more than it took to create?
Of course. A lot of things in X-COM worked that way.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7921 on: February 16, 2014, 09:07:53 pm »

Like alien corpses. :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7922 on: February 16, 2014, 09:08:48 pm »

Quote from: GreatWyrmGold link=topic=98553.msg5015933#msg5015933 date=1392602717
[/quote
That is how it works in real life.  Not like there is much competition.   You still had to build them thou, so it was limited.
What was the most cost effective item to sell?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7923 on: February 16, 2014, 09:12:48 pm »

Laser Cannons, hands down, unless you exploited a bug with material use that made some other item more profitable. I forget which item it was though.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7924 on: February 16, 2014, 09:17:44 pm »

That is how it works in real life.  Not like there is much competition.
True, but I would have expected that basic game design would keep costs (including non-monetary costs) above selling price.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7925 on: February 16, 2014, 09:21:35 pm »

Laser Cannons, hands down, unless you exploited a bug with material use that made some other item more profitable. I forget which item it was though.
How much is the profit?
Old XCom did have the difficulty on the geoscape.   If you cant maintain at least a few firestorms with plasma cannons, you will lose countries.   
I would fix that post, but I'm posting from my phone.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7926 on: February 16, 2014, 09:27:47 pm »

True, but I would have expected that basic game design would keep costs (including non-monetary costs) above selling price.

I have no idea, to be honest. I guess it's so that people could support themselves through manufacturing or something like that.

How much is the profit?

Let me check the wiki...

Laser Cannons would earn you $1,968,000 a month, and $29,000 per unit sold. But you can really crank out the Laser Cannons, so they're the best item to manufacture for a profit. Fusion Ball Launchers are the second-most profitable item, at $1,480,000 a month and $32,600 per unit. The only reason they aren't the most profitable item is because they use an alien alloy to manufacture them. If you don't care about alien alloys, or use a (very tedious) bug to not use any alien alloys to manufacture them, then Fusion Ball Launchers are the best item to produce.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7927 on: February 16, 2014, 09:30:49 pm »

Unless I'm mistaken, before you can obtain laser cannons, aren't medkits also a good source of income? I'm not sure, and I'm basing my information what I've seen of a TFTD let's play, but still.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7928 on: February 16, 2014, 09:35:43 pm »

Unless I'm mistaken, before you can obtain laser cannons, aren't medkits also a good source of income? I'm not sure, and I'm basing my information what I've seen of a TFTD let's play, but still.

According to the chart, Motion Scanners are much more profitable monthly, but Medikits are more valuable per unit. Actually, Motion Scanners are the fourth most profitable item to produce, with Medikits right behind. Mind you, per engineering hour, Motion Scanners are worth twice as much as Medikits.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7929 on: February 16, 2014, 09:43:49 pm »

According to the chart, Motion Scanners are much more profitable monthly, but Medikits are more valuable per unit. Actually, Motion Scanners are the fourth most profitable item to produce, with Medikits right behind. Mind you, per engineering hour, Motion Scanners are worth twice as much as Medikits.
*Insert ethical argument about how medkits are helping people and what not while  motion scanners are corporate evil.*
Huh, would there ever be a situation where the two would be inverted, or is that not mathematically possible?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7930 on: February 16, 2014, 09:49:00 pm »

*Insert ethical argument about how medkits are helping people and what not while  motion scanners are corporate evil.*
Huh, would there ever be a situation where the two would be inverted, or is that not mathematically possible?

Eh... I think it's mathematically impossible. Medikits sell for about 7k~ more, but you can produce almost twice as many Motion Scanners in the same time frame. So you're looking at 1 Medikit at 18k versus two Motion Scanners at 10k each.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7931 on: February 16, 2014, 10:40:38 pm »

I remember when I got Blaster Bomb Launchers in Oldcom and when I got one in Newcom. Both were equally giddy moments.

In Oldcom, I had two soldiers with four bombs and a launcher each, plus the rest of my 14 man veteran squad, most of whom where in Powered Armor with Laser Rifles and such. (I had plasma weaponry, but I mostly just gave them to people with really good aim. I didn't bother to acquire a whole lot of them at this point, though that changed pretty quickly.) My two launchermen ran out of the Skyranger after the main squad secured a perimeter, and set up in the middle of the empty lot we'd landed in. My men started moving up slowly, and each time I spotted an enemy, I fired a Blaster Bomb at them. Blaster Bombs do the most damage of any hand held weapon in the game, IIRC. They're powerful enough to blow apart alien ship armor. So what we ended up with by the end of the mission was an entire city block completely leveled. Best terror mission EVER.

In Newcom, I got the launcher and gave it to Odin, my Psionic Heavy Colonel. We rolled into a crashed UFO and he finally unleashed it on an Ethereal that was deep in the ship, while he was outside. I clicked the Blaster Bomb Launcher and centered the reticule on the Ethereal. The path the explosive took weaved past two of my soldiers, within arm's reach, past three Muton Elites, and then detonated in the EXACT spot in the ship that wouldn't destroy anything of value, doing JUST enough damage to the Ethereal that I could taze it afterwards.

My one, major beef with Newcom is that the Aliens never use the Blaster Bomb Launcher on you. I think Sectoid Commanders should use them like crazy. Might make it more interesting.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7932 on: February 16, 2014, 10:53:23 pm »

My one, major beef with Newcom is that the Aliens never use the Blaster Bomb Launcher on you. I think Sectoid Commanders should use them like crazy. Might make it more interesting.
Well.. ingame lore for the Newcom blaster launcher suggests that blaster launchers are upgraded rocket launchers made by combining human and alien tech, so maybe that's why aliens never seem to use it against XCOM? :3
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7933 on: February 16, 2014, 11:23:33 pm »

In Newcom, I got the launcher and gave it to Odin, my Psionic Heavy Colonel.
That's like the best soldier who could be getting that name. Well, unless scars get implemented and someone loses an eye.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7934 on: February 17, 2014, 12:21:01 am »

Did they take out the Blaster Launcher in Enemy Within? I beat the game and never once got to build them, but I got them in Enemy Unknown.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 625