Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958392 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7485 on: February 01, 2014, 08:50:51 pm »

Dude. Be nice, that was in jest.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7486 on: February 01, 2014, 08:58:13 pm »

That is stupid.
Even if the joke's not that funny, I don't think there's reason to be that insulting.  ^_^

But in seriousness...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 09:07:16 pm by Culise »

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7487 on: February 01, 2014, 09:01:32 pm »

-Snip-
Keep trying. Soon you will learn and proceed to rise from the piles of corpses like a mighty phoenix. Then you will die on the second mission.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7488 on: February 01, 2014, 09:23:07 pm »

That is stupid.
Even if the joke's not that funny, I don't think there's reason to be that insulting.  ^_^

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7489 on: February 01, 2014, 09:52:29 pm »

GWG's III
Part II: Never Gonna Give This Up

Operation Spectral Priest Redux
The team splits into pairs, each taking one side of the road. Overwatches are the norm. Right at the last movement on the third turn, we spot a couple xenos who flee for cover. Overwatches all around, people.
One of the aliens fires at Private Ruiz, who apparently could have shot the one xeno. She moves forward, but alerts no fewer than six more buggers, who run for cover. Damn plasma-armed roaches. The squad maneuvers.
Those xenos? One zaps Private Ruiz down to 1 health, panicking her and Private Owusu, who run behind a truck and shoot at a xeno respectively. Private Hall is killed, and Hudson, the only member of the team not dead or requiring an underwear change, runs forward and kills a xeno at long range.
The aliens responded. At first, all was good; Hudson was saved by their inaccuracy (one seemed to hit the alien device it took cover behind) and his dodging skills, but the penultimate xeno killed him. And the last one? Killed Hall. The dog is fucked. Ruiz decides to end this the best way she can: Charging at the nearest cluster of xenos and dropping a grenade at her feet. Three were wounded; Ruiz did not survive. Was this better or worse than plasma? Who the hell knows?

Operation Spectral Priest Panicked Stooge Tridux
We advance much as normal. A xeno is encountered at the dawn of the second turn, shot at by Ruiz (who misses on 50%) and Owusu (who kills on 35%). We continue moving forward, shooting at more aliens who show up. Owusu avoids Overwatch fire from unseen xenos twice in as many turns, but then panics from a scratch given by the xeno's plasma pistol. Didn't even pierce the armor. The other xeno missed him but set his cover up to blow. The cover that, when he panicked, he ran to a slightly different part of.
(Memo to self: Attempt to capture a xenomorph alive, then send its pistol to the Mythbusters to determine if it is, in fact, realistic for the weapon to be able to make cars explode.)
Hall kills the last damn xeno we see. However...we've killed what, two? There's more. I alt-tab to the game right after typing this, advance Ruiz, and discover three more xenos, who of course get free moves. Owusu predictably dies when the car he's hiding behind blows up. Ruiz panics, shooting Hudson for three damage, panicking Hudson who shoots back for three damage. It's hilarious. Anyways, Hall advances and discovers more xenos, xenos' turn, they both miss Ruiz, one setsthe car Hudson is hiding behind on fire, forcing him into the open to sprint to a car right at the edge of his dashing range...and get killed by an Overwatching xeno. Ruiz panics again and misses a random xeno, finding her mind clear enough to complain about ammunition. One xeno polishes of Ruiz, another puts a burn straight through the armor of Hudson, the last surviving and most competent of the rookies this mission.
Dog, fucked. Hudson has a plan: He walks out into the open, swings his arms out wide, and shouts "YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME?!? COME GET IT, MOTHERFUCKERS!" A reaction shot interrupts him in the "walking" phase of his plan. Mission failed.

Maybe II isn't for me.

Operation Spectral Priest Tridux
I advance more aggressively this time, Ruiz discovering a trio of xenos blissfully unaware of my existence on the first turn. Or maybe not, since they kill Ruiz, causing Hall to panic and Hudson to...also panic, but the kind that makes him shoot Hall for panicking. Unsuccessfully, but still, you've got to admire the Commissar vibe. Oh, and Owusu, the last functioning squaddie, gets killed. So yeah, two dead two panicked on the first turn. Thankfully, the second is...strangely uneventful. The survivors cluster a bit and Overwatch, watching over nothing. Hall takes a reaction bolt to the face, taking one point of damage and losing seven points of Charisma. He then gets critically wounded by another xeno's shot, as a trio of xenos more wanders in and sprints for cover.
"Fuck this," Hudson says. "Not fucking again."
He runs for cover, spots two more xenos, and gets shot twice. Lethally.

Operación espectral Sacerdote Número Cuatro
¡Esta vez, vamos a intentar informar en roto español!
Nos retiramos a un rincón. Cosas todavía se presentaron en el segundo turno, y luego huyó. No es que se tropezó El Overwatch. O estaban dentro del rango de tiro al momento de retirar despedirnos...Espere, mierda, que son! Ruiz y Hudson pánico cuando Owusu fue asesinado; Ruiz rompió la formación y fue matado por el avance de principio a fin. Hudson recibe un disparo a un punto de golpe y el pánico, corriendo a la esquina del tablero. Hall se vacía su rifle de asalto sin hacer uno de los tiros del cuarenta por ciento. Él entonces muere. Uno adivina qué. Hudson Overwatch...a? Overwatche? (I don't know how to conjugate Overwatch as a Spanish verb. It does not have a standard ending!) Él Overwatche para muchas vueltas--¡para diecinueve vueltas!--con un punto de golpe, antes de detenerse Overwatchiendo. Entonces, él dio un paso hacia adelante, vio a dos extranjeros, se perdió uno, y murió. Al Final.
Oh wow. That was horrible.

Anyways, I learned a valuable lesson those last two missions. My tactics suck...but changing them makes things worse.

Well, there were much less absurd ways to jest. That was so over-the-top, it looped past being stupid, to being funny, to being annoying.

That is stupid.

But in seriousness...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All of this makes more sense than detecting the hole. Which may or may not have ever existed.

-Snip-
Keep trying. Soon you will learn and proceed to rise from the piles of corpses like a mighty phoenix. Then you will die on the second mission.
Yay?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7490 on: February 01, 2014, 10:01:32 pm »

See? You're learning. When you get frustrated, switch to CI. It's like training while wearing weights, when you get to the actual thing you were practicing for it will be worlds easier.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7491 on: February 01, 2014, 10:03:29 pm »

It's true. Like I was saying earlier on, my decimation of the Normal run is a direct result of having played so many Classic and Impossible games. I've never beaten either difficulty once (though I've come close on Classic several times), but the experience is enough that Normal might as well be Very Easy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7492 on: February 01, 2014, 10:09:11 pm »

Also, stop counting. I remember in EU, when I started trying to beat II (Which I still have yet to do.), I went from game 8 (Classic Victory) to game 50+. In case you're wondering, in the load-game menu, it tells you the number game that file is.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7493 on: February 01, 2014, 10:13:34 pm »

Well, there were much less absurd ways to jest. That was so over-the-top, it looped past being stupid, to being funny, to being annoying.

Seriously? That's your opinion and it still doesn't excuse being insulting. You can't just go around putting down everybody you disagree with.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7494 on: February 01, 2014, 10:18:09 pm »

I only just understood that II stood for Ironman Impossible. I was all "'two'? what's a 'two' run? is it DLC?"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7495 on: February 01, 2014, 10:30:40 pm »

See? You're learning. When you get frustrated, switch to CI. It's like training while wearing weights, when you get to the actual thing you were practicing for it will be worlds easier.
CI?

Also, stop counting. I remember in EU, when I started trying to beat II (Which I still have yet to do.), I went from game 8 (Classic Victory) to game 50+. In case you're wondering, in the load-game menu, it tells you the number game that file is.
I know. I...I kinda play the game too.
And I'm not counting by the game number; I threw that off early by Game 1 crashing without being saved. I lost Game Two and Game 3 is stalled by graphics issues.

I only just understood that II stood for Ironman Impossible. I was all "'two'? what's a 'two' run? is it DLC?"
Took me a while too.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7496 on: February 01, 2014, 10:32:52 pm »

CI?
Classic Ironman. It should really be IC, though, since II is usually Ironman Impossible instead of vice versa. On another note, I'd also recommend only playing Ironman. It's better to just not have the temptation to savescum.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7497 on: February 01, 2014, 10:57:46 pm »

Annoyed by that $20 I spent on a game that apparently overloads my video driver thingy, I decide to try something...interesting.

Who wants to take bets on how long I last on Impossible difficulty? (Also, all of the base Second Wave adjustments were enabled.)

There is a fix to the video card problem. It's actually an issue with Steam. There is a third party program which disables something called 'Steam CEG' or something like that, which will make the game run properly though it has to be run prior to starting the game every time you restart your computer.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 625