Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958777 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5955 on: August 21, 2013, 03:30:57 pm »

At this point, if they haven't played them and aren't willing to be spoiled they shouldn't be in the thread. The game has been out for a while now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: August 21, 2013, 03:31:45 pm »

No, but not everyone has been willing/able to slog through to the end of the game.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: August 21, 2013, 03:36:46 pm »

Feel free to interpret the ending as whatever you want, and that's your right, but it doesn't change my impression of the fact that it's so unbelievably boring.

Elaboration:

I think the TVtropes page for this kind of story explains why I think the ending is daft very well:

"But the problem is, these things are actually being written by humans, for humans, and that usually means people want to see humans in an important, overarching role. To accomplish this, it is made clear that there is something special, something unique about the human character. It could be that humans are inherently noble, kind and idealistic, or that we never ever give up no matter how bad things get, or we are extremely curious and love adventure or simply that our very emotions are our strength. Whatever the case may be, humans are usually given some Western, humanistic value that somehow allows us to transcend our weaknesses and earn the admiration and/or fear of other, more advanced civilizations. Apparently everyone else is stuck in a rut, possibly as a result of being a Planet of Hats."

Neil deGrass Tyson explains it very well too in several videos:

Humans are too stupid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt0uV5d8tss

Humans are designed badly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCnGf37iiKU

TL;DR: The aliens' reasons for attacking us is too Hollywood. Humans are the best things amirite.

----------

Since we're also on the subject, one of the best space game endings in my opinion is Master of Orion 2's ending. Where humans and a bunch of other races get together to transcend dimensions and defeat what they considered an intergalactic threat. However, they completely misunderstood the situation like an ant would misunderstand what the nature of the shoe that stomps on it does.

Instead of ending the threat, what they actually did was annoy the threat enough to actually notice them and they ended up getting obliterated and subjugated in such rapid fashion before being promptly forgotten again.

I think that's a more apt detailing of what it means to actually face up against an immeasurably superior force. The Half-life series did this too, which I think was really good.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: August 21, 2013, 03:48:26 pm »

It's not that humans have the power of Heart, it's that we're the one alien race they've found so far that's both physically durable and has psionic gift. Sectiods had gift, but they're puny. Ethereals even more so. Mutons can tear a car in half, but they've got no mind powers.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: August 21, 2013, 03:53:53 pm »

Indeed. X-COM is not exactly a traditional example of Humans are Special. X-COM is all about difficulty and dying in droves. X-COM are literally the only humans in the world that make a decent showing against the aliens.

The Ethereals don't even want baseline humans, either. They want to subjugate humanity because they see us as potentially having the base traits that they could enhance into being perfect warriors. And we see how good their "enhancement" is for the other species.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: August 21, 2013, 03:57:40 pm »

I.E. Horrific.

Also, perhaps X-COM is doing their job for them now. Cybernetics department...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: August 21, 2013, 03:58:25 pm »

I wonder what their strategy meeting for the invasion of Earth was.

"Okay guys. Greg. Right. Our past subjugations and experiments were kinda shitty. Sectoids? Kinda dumb. And who was the genius that suggested we get the Chryssalids. Greg I'm looking at you. We need ideas here so we don't screw up this time. C'mon guys, brainstorm!"

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: August 21, 2013, 03:59:37 pm »

And even then humans kind of suck EXCEPT when sort of abusing the benefits given by the aliens! We've got potential, but the whole point of the game is that in many ways we are giving up our humanity to achieve it.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: August 21, 2013, 04:04:38 pm »

And even then humans kind of suck EXCEPT when sort of abusing the benefits given by the aliens! We've got potential, but the whole point of the game is that in many ways we are giving up our humanity to achieve it.
Basicly trainning and forging OURSELf to be their weapons :) Or thats how i see it XD
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: August 21, 2013, 04:13:41 pm »

I think that's a more apt detailing of what it means to actually face up against an immeasurably superior force.

Well, the thing about X-Com, which I quite enjoy, is that it doesn't feel like an alien invasion so much as a series of border skirmishes. A few alien ships show up each month with a crew complement in maybe the teens or twenties, tops? XCOM: Enemy Unknown doesn't really make it seem like what your guys are doing is part of an enormous war.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: August 21, 2013, 04:14:39 pm »

!!!SPOILERS!!!

It's not that humans have the power of Heart, it's that we're the one alien race they've found so far that's both physically durable and has psionic gift. Sectiods had gift, but they're puny. Ethereals even more so. Mutons can tear a car in half, but they've got no mind powers.

But the Mutons weren't sought after. They are the only race brought into the fold simply because of their combat abilities.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: August 21, 2013, 04:28:15 pm »

Ok here's my idea.

The aliens are actually losing!
They don't have nearly enough man(alien)power to wage a balls to the walls planetary invasion because most of their forcess are busy fighting a losing war elsewhere.

The ones who are actually "invading" earth are just a "small" research team looking for new species to hopefully use in their wars.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: August 21, 2013, 04:29:42 pm »

The aliens have plenty power to conquer Earth, Dr. Shen says so himself. The issue is that going all-out would involve killing most of humanity, which is contrary to their goals.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: August 21, 2013, 04:34:47 pm »

I still love the original XCOM ending.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

better then new XCOM ending which is about self sacrifice and ends with black hole just outside Earth's atmosphere?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: August 21, 2013, 04:39:08 pm »

The aliens have plenty power to conquer Earth, Dr. Shen says so himself. The issue is that going all-out would involve killing most of humanity, which is contrary to their goals.

And how did he come to the conclusion that there are so many alien craft around earth?
From what i can tell it's just a small planetary experiment.

It's neither a invasion (they didn't go balls to the walls with it anyway) nor a silent takeover by utilizing mind control and clones.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 625