Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958234 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5880 on: August 04, 2013, 12:02:07 am »

The major expansion looks like it will be a standalone, Xcom Enemy Within. It's the thing I saw on Jake's laptop earlier this year it appears. It looks like it will drop at Christmas or maybe even a little sooner.
Will we be shrinking xcom agents to tiny size to fight aliums inside the president?! I AM SO EXCITE
The laser blast strikes the lung wall.  The lung wall has been destroyed.
FOUR TURNS UNTIL THE PRESIDENT BLEEDS OUT. SEAL THE ARTERIAL BREACH AND KILL THE ALIUMS!
Fuck it. Better use Blaster Launcher.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5881 on: August 04, 2013, 02:56:32 pm »

The major expansion looks like it will be a standalone, Xcom Enemy Within. It's the thing I saw on Jake's laptop earlier this year it appears. It looks like it will drop at Christmas or maybe even a little sooner.

In case anyone doubted hemmingjay: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/01/an-outsider-what-is-xcom-enemy-within/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rockpapershotgun%2Fsteam+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%3A+Steam+RSS%29.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5882 on: August 04, 2013, 03:01:56 pm »

Definitely sounds like it will have something to do with allium-sympathizing scum.

Or at least I hope it will, since (as one of the comments points out) the alternative is that we are going to get an extensive Chryssalid expansion.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5883 on: August 04, 2013, 03:20:47 pm »

I wonder if we'll be fighting human opponents.  That would certainly be different.  I mean X-com has a long history of killing humans, but usually its an accident.  Or an "accident".
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5884 on: August 04, 2013, 03:23:36 pm »

I wonder if we'll be fighting human opponents.  That would certainly be different.  I mean X-com has a long history of killing humans, but usually its an accident.  Or an "accident".
If I had a dime for all the times I lost a VIP to some fucking rookie getting caught up in a panic spiral...

I'm not even afraid of the aliens killing a VIP anymore, it's X-COM I watch.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5885 on: August 04, 2013, 04:46:18 pm »

If I had a dime for all the times I lost a VIP to some fucking rookie getting caught up in a panic spiral...

Old XCOm was even worse in that regards. Mostly because my "containment" policy for Snakemen terror Missions (Which had Chryssalids) was "Burn it. Burn it all". Just straight up leveled the entire city with Blaster Bombs.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5886 on: August 04, 2013, 04:49:03 pm »

Dropping annoying, counter-productive memes, this series is significantly less than it could be for all the hardened soldiers' anxiety attacks.  :-\
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5887 on: August 04, 2013, 05:46:16 pm »

Old XCOm was even worse in that regards. Mostly because my "containment" policy for Snakemen terror Missions (Which had Chryssalids) was "Burn it. Burn it all". Just straight up leveled the entire city with Blaster Bombs.
I remember my strategy being the same as well.  Raid battelships and supply ships, produce a bunch of blaster bombs, if somethign makes it through my air defense net I just have one or two tanks leave the Avenger, and the other ten people fire off their blasters.  Unless I have a flying suit.  The I used them. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5888 on: August 04, 2013, 07:34:47 pm »

My strategy for Snakemen missions was to just have my forces camp around the skyranger, and just overwatch sort of by just waiting for the enemy to come for them.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5889 on: August 04, 2013, 08:58:45 pm »

Snakemen terror missions had a simple solution in my book: auto-fired AC-I everywhere.

Actually, that was my solution for a lot of things in original X-COM, including darkness and the things that went bump therein. You don't need flares when everything is on fire.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5890 on: August 04, 2013, 09:22:16 pm »

yeah incendiary rounds were a night mission's best friend.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5891 on: August 05, 2013, 02:29:39 am »

I remember my first old X-com mission.  3 survivors, and we recovered a plasma pistol and a sectoid corpse.  As in, I got my ass kicked so badly I changed my mission objective to "we've killed that one alien, now grab its body."

Didn't get too far before the inventory management and my desire to make all my moves optimal slowed down the game to crawl.  Hopefully Xenonauts or XcomRL or whatever that's called nowadays will provide a similar experience with less annoyance.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5892 on: August 05, 2013, 04:48:22 am »

I remember my first old X-com mission.  3 survivors, and we recovered a plasma pistol and a sectoid corpse.  As in, I got my ass kicked so badly I changed my mission objective to "we've killed that one alien, now grab its body."

Didn't get too far before the inventory management and my desire to make all my moves optimal slowed down the game to crawl.  Hopefully Xenonauts or XcomRL or whatever that's called nowadays will provide a similar experience with less annoyance.
My first mission was at night by some farm.  I spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out how to enter the UFO while I got sniped at by whatever was on the other side of the map.  Eventually all my soldiers died. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Grand Nagus

• Bay Watcher
  • A Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5893 on: August 05, 2013, 05:13:10 am »

I remember those feels. Them be good feels ;)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5894 on: August 21, 2013, 08:58:26 am »

And now it's going back to an expansion for the PC version and a standalone for consoles. Quite jerking my chain, Jake! http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/21/xcom-enemy-within-is-an-expansion-out-15th-november/#more-165561
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 625