Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958083 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5820 on: June 02, 2013, 06:34:15 am »

For people who want the old-school experience once again, two nice pieces of news:

Open Xcom is feature complete. It's a free open source remake the of original X-COM game engine that requires all the originals assets, just drop the exe into the folder of the original X-Com and run. Enjoy the ability to scale graphics to any resolution and built-in support for designing the base at the start, get annoyed at the bug that causes the camera to shoot off to a random corner and not come back until you end the turn. The temporary fix is to go into the options, change the camera type, leave and re-enter options and change it back. Also if you dig around in the settings, you can even have it do some black magic that basically turns all the graphics into good looking vector art, which makes it actually look rather decent when scaled up to any size. It's witchcraft I say!

Ah nice. It had too much missing when I last looked into it, hadn't thought they'd get it complete so quickly so hadn't checked back yet.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: June 02, 2013, 10:21:31 am »

Like high-end PC gaming once was, console gaming will diminish into a hardcore following of dedicated people who have the cash to pay for the systems and the monthly subscription fee for all the games (as this is the ultimate DRM feature the Xbox 1 and PS3 shall have: always online DRM).
PS3 doesn't have always online. And neither will the PS4 according to official statements.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: June 02, 2013, 12:12:12 pm »

I just had a 90% stun fail, ruining the mission....in Operation Broken Spark.

I am not a superstitious man, but this has happened too many times. It knows, man. It fucking knows.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #5823 on: June 02, 2013, 12:47:55 pm »

Yup, pretty much. It's why whenever I get an Operation name in my LP that has anything to do with death, or sorrow, I instantly start preparing myself for the inevitable death of one of my top squad members.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: June 02, 2013, 01:49:36 pm »

I just had a 90% stun fail, ruining the mission....in Operation Broken Spark.

I am not a superstitious man, but this has happened too many times. It knows, man. It fucking knows.
My theory is that whenever the operations name is something like that, the game actually increases the difficulty.  This game does make you rather superstitious at times.  Like whenever I go to the map where you are on top of the skyscraper.  That was the map where I first got a code black, and as such it will forever remain in my memory as a place NOT to take good soldiers to. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: June 02, 2013, 02:19:11 pm »

I am not a superstitious man

You are now! :D

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: June 02, 2013, 02:28:54 pm »

Yup, pretty much. It's why whenever I get an Operation name in my LP that has anything to do with death, or sorrow, I instantly start preparing myself for the inevitable death of one of my top squad members.

I lost a guy, who had %99 chance to hit, on Operation Shattered Shield.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: June 02, 2013, 04:58:01 pm »

In this decade, mobile and PC games will become the main market.

*Drops a few Zoloft in coffee and continues reading*
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Beorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: July 30, 2013, 03:30:54 am »

Is there a way to sell your created (and obsolete) equipment?
Thanks.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: July 30, 2013, 05:11:21 am »

You can't sell equipment, only alien loot.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: July 30, 2013, 10:41:29 am »

You can't sell equipment, only alien loot.
Right. So you can only do so if you have the 'missions' to sell equipment.

Right. Those can include things like Laser weapons and the like, though, so sometimes you get the opportunity to sell off obsolete gear. Or, more often, make some quick cash by making and selling some items.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: July 30, 2013, 01:35:34 pm »

Well, they don't know you don't need resources for it  8)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: July 30, 2013, 03:52:19 pm »

Currently completely owning aliens. Just raided the alien base, suffered no casualty, ever. Has been shot three times in five missions. Routinely kill three aliens per turn.

Following "how to own the game in impossible" guidelines in easy mode kind of help...

Chryssalids are still horrible monsters though. Had frightening moments with them. God bless overwatch and laser guns.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: July 30, 2013, 04:50:20 pm »

Finally bought this game the other day (Xbox, mind you, haven't quite built my new computer yet...), and gotta say; I'm loving it. Archangel Armor is simply glorious!  :D
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: July 30, 2013, 05:12:27 pm »

Currently completely owning aliens. Just raided the alien base, suffered no casualty, ever. Has been shot three times in five missions. Routinely kill three aliens per turn.

Following "how to own the game in impossible" guidelines in easy mode kind of help...

Chryssalids are still horrible monsters though. Had frightening moments with them. God bless overwatch and laser guns.

Yeah, the AI is certainly exploitable. Personally, I find the game more fun to play on Classic, pseudo-ironman, without using AI exploits. Try to approach situations in a reasonable manner and do my best to manage. It's tough but interesting, especially with HPs off on the aliens.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 625