Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958326 times)

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #5715 on: May 09, 2013, 03:44:27 pm »

I thought the gollop chamber required the person to have the highest level of psionic?
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: May 09, 2013, 04:35:46 pm »

Yeah I think it could be based around whichever psyker of yours is currently the strongest, so they are the ones who need to activate it.
Nom nom nom

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5717 on: May 09, 2013, 06:44:57 pm »

Your psyker is just too weak. Get one thats a bit stronger and put him in the psi armour and then toss him in the Doople Device or whatever. The soldier has to meet a certain will value in order to use the Doppledunder Thingy and the one you dropped into the Device just didn't have enough will. Technically he doesn't need the armour, but wearing it amps your will value up by a ton and thats the only way to get it up to the level that you need in order to use the Gumball Device.

I think he has to be 90 or 100 or something; I don't remember the exact required value but I do know its fixed. There's no trigger or anything, and it definitely doesn't just rely on which of your psycho-active troops is the strongest. It definitely sounded like umiman had a glitch going though if he reloaded and used the same soldier.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:47:42 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: May 09, 2013, 06:54:26 pm »

Again, rookie fresh out of psi testing who had will of 65, counting the armor, triggered it for me, while psi-operative colonel with 100 will on her own didn't trigger it even though she had a mind shield. Also, won't let me use anyone in the Gollop chamber that doesn't have it on currently. Take it off someone, they disappear from the list. Put it on, they're on the list.

Either they changed the trigger to just Will score in a patch, or patched it to require the suit, but we must be playing on different versions.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: May 09, 2013, 07:24:39 pm »

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144195713

There we go. Impossible iron man victory. All second wave options on except marathon.

I would have expected a higher score heh...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: May 09, 2013, 07:37:51 pm »

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144195713

There we go. Impossible iron man victory. All second wave options on except marathon.

I would have expected a higher score heh...

If you're excellent at tactics, you wont lose battles, but once you get that good, the determining factor of Impossible Ironman is the geoscape. Some of the randomization options, I imagine, would actually be very helpful.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: May 09, 2013, 07:45:15 pm »

Mrm... I had to restart a few dozen times after running into horrible situations such as my starting income being only 50... or all the countries giving no money, things like that.

AFAIK, almost all the randomization options only seem to screw you over as I can't remember a single time a random mission reward gave more than it would normally have. For example, it was normal for me to get 2 - 3 engineers for an abduction mission... which is pretty horrible.

The only few options that helped were:
- guaranteed critical chance on flank - super helpful for the player because the AI on impossible almost always crits anyway.
- random starting stats - You know you struck gold when you get a rookie with 80 will and 90 aim. It can happen and is really great. Generally most rookies tend to be in the 60 aim range though which sucks.
- random level stats - I think the base stats are the most important, but this can give you awesome stuff like heavies with 100 aim. I can't really think of a time where this option screwed me over.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: May 09, 2013, 07:52:05 pm »

The Second Wave options aren't really supposed to help you, but nonetheless I pay every game with Not Created Equal and Hidden Potential on. RNG-Touched rookies still happen without them, but it's more common with it. It isn't X-COM until you have occasional inexplicably fortunate soldiers.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: May 09, 2013, 07:57:55 pm »

The Second Wave options aren't really supposed to help you, but nonetheless I pay every game with Not Created Equal and Hidden Potential on. RNG-Touched rookies still happen without them, but it's more common with it. It isn't X-COM until you have occasional inexplicably fortunate soldiers.
Contrariwise, it isn't X-COM until you have the horrible soldiers whose only purpose is to die :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: May 09, 2013, 08:05:31 pm »

I've noticed that one of the stats that gets randomized seems to be move distance. Is there a way to check this other than dragging them into combat and counting&remembering squares?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5725 on: May 09, 2013, 08:09:55 pm »

I've noticed that one of the stats that gets randomized seems to be move distance. Is there a way to check this other than dragging them into combat and counting&remembering squares?
Not that I'm aware of. It's freaking awesome having a support that can run the entire map in one bound though.

HP gets randomized too but it's generally not an issue when everything instakills you.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: May 10, 2013, 12:01:45 am »

Dunno if anyone has seen this yet, but... Linko

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:25:10 am by Solifuge »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: May 10, 2013, 12:05:08 am »

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: May 10, 2013, 12:25:18 am »

Huh, so it's not an FPS with nothing to do with the franchise anymore. Still, I say their gear looks like a cross between Ghostbusters and Fallout. A little... different :D

Somehow I feel the game's never going to see the light of day, though. The project smells of cancer. Let's hope it's not another "Forever"

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5729 on: May 10, 2013, 12:47:57 am »

Actually EA scrapped the project about a week ago.
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 625