Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960024 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #4470 on: October 25, 2012, 01:33:06 pm »

So, one benefit of mind meld in multiplayer (I assume, if I could get it to work) is that, so long as you can stay away from the enemy for a couple turns, you can use it to heal your units back up to full health fairly effectively.

A squad of support sectoids can heal a dude up pretty quickly.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: October 25, 2012, 01:38:05 pm »

So, one benefit of mind meld in multiplayer (I assume, if I could get it to work) is that, so long as you can stay away from the enemy for a couple turns, you can use it to heal your units back up to full health fairly effectively.

Nope, the health bonus ends after the merge is over. That extra hit point is temporary. Also I don't think you can mind merge with a unit already being merged. Also it's going to be hard to stay away from the enemy for a couple of turns.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: October 25, 2012, 01:42:44 pm »

Nope, the health bonus ends after the merge is over. That extra hit point is temporary. Also I don't think you can mind merge with a unit already being merged. Also it's going to be hard to stay away from the enemy for a couple of turns.

Sectoids DO get healed in SP, though, I've seen that quite a bit. The extra hit point is temporary, but it works in a weird way. They basically get +1 to Current and Max hit points. The Max goes away, but if they were less than max then they keep the +1 to current. It effects my strategy when fighting merged sectoids, since you can't just whittle them down as easily as most aliens with Pistols if you run out of ammo.

No idea about MP.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: October 25, 2012, 01:43:36 pm »

Nope, noticed in single player, the bonus hp slot goes away, but they end up the same HP as before the merge ended
So Pre merge say 2/4hp
Merge 3/5
Post merge 3/4

Had a wounded sectoid heal completly over several turns because of this.

Fake Edit: Ninja'd, but I worked so hard on my example!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: October 25, 2012, 02:03:08 pm »

At the very least it means a sectoid gives a 1hp per turn regeneration to a unit of your choice. That's not half bad, really.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: October 25, 2012, 02:28:12 pm »

I would test this but it's hard too with buggy multiplayer.

Still I did think like you did but I swear I remember seeing a sectoid not regaining health after a merge ended.

But most likely im just wrong :P Sorry

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: October 25, 2012, 02:40:18 pm »

Nah, the bonus hp remains after the merge.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: October 25, 2012, 02:41:07 pm »

Your sniper may have Ghost/Skeleton Armor, while the others don't.  Ghost/Skeleton armor gives 20/10 defense. 
There is also the fact that if your sniper is major or higher, he gets double defense in cover I believe... (It might just only apply to half cover, don't remember.)
At the time he was a captain, and I haven't even researched Carapace armor yet.

It only applies to half, but honestly, if your sniper is that close to need it, you're using him wrong.
My guy has more HP than any other soldier I have (11 base). I think it's okay for him to be on the front lines.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 02:42:56 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: October 25, 2012, 03:29:45 pm »

Anyone else get a 'hero' soldier? I'm playing on impossible and while the body count is getting impressively high I have one soldier who seems to be invincible. He literally never misses (He has taken several low % shots and hit everyone!) and never gets hit (One time he had 4 mutons fire at him at once and every single one missed or wasted its shot on cover.) His last name is Mc'Neil maybe he is related to O'neil from stargate? Haha.

Then again I've also had some amazing duds. One heavy comes to mind. He fired a rocket killing three mutons...and then panics!? Runs straight into the arms of an over-watched muton getting killed in the process. Of course this caused 4 of the other soldiers to panic as well. Luckily "Snake Eyes" the sniper was the only one that kept her cool and blasted the muton in the head.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: October 25, 2012, 04:19:12 pm »

Now that I've been playing with the Second Wave, I'm thinking I may want to make a new coloring scheme for Rookies to help me differentiate the Lame, Average, and Awesome ones. And maybe a special color for the ones that have good Aim but lousy Will.

Maybe Bright green for promising Rookies, Darker green for average ones, and Yellow for ones that have poor will. Really bad ones can get Helmets so I know that they're just cannon fodder I shouldn't care about.

That could work...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: October 25, 2012, 04:21:03 pm »

Now that I've been playing with the Second Wave, I'm thinking I may want to make a new coloring scheme for Rookies to help me differentiate the Lame, Average, and Awesome ones. And maybe a special color for the ones that have good Aim but lousy Will.

Maybe Bright green for promising Rookies, Darker green for average ones, and Yellow for ones that have poor will. Really bad ones can get Helmets so I know that they're just cannon fodder I shouldn't care about.

That could work...

Red for the fodder.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: October 25, 2012, 04:22:01 pm »

No, Red is one of my favorite colors. I get the reference but...I always expect the soldiers in Red to be awesome. I'd use White to make them Storm Troopers, but I'm used to my medics all being White now.
Come play Mafia with us!

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4482 on: October 25, 2012, 04:30:35 pm »

Rookies get the default armour for me. And face concealing helmets. Because everyone knows only important people go without head protection.

Then it's Snipers get black, assaults get green, support get white and heavy get blue.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: October 25, 2012, 04:44:14 pm »

Rookies get the default armour for me. And face concealing helmets. Because everyone knows only important people go without head protection.

Then it's Snipers get black, assaults get green, support get white and heavy get blue.

I did something similar before, too. But with Not Created Equal some of my Recruits are actually more valuable than others and I'd like to be able to remember who I care about easily. Conversely, some are just junk and best used as cannon fodder.
Come play Mafia with us!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4484 on: October 25, 2012, 04:47:15 pm »

I put everyone in black uniforms with identical helmets except for anyone with psionics, which get red psi armor and no helmet, and they're all bald.

It actually looks fairly neat.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 625