Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960404 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3930 on: October 18, 2012, 01:24:35 am »

Honestly I personally don't think they needed much of a reason. Most of the aliens are mass produced clones and most ships mass produced ships. The idea that this was basically a "Mass produced invasion" would make sense and not need much of an explanation.

Heck my theory was that they were harvesting us for our psionic potential.

It certainly doesn't explain the game's WEIRD lack of Outsiders (It still bugs me and I consider it a videogame oversight)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:27:11 am by Neonivek »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: October 18, 2012, 01:31:53 am »

The poison spit becomes a non-issue in titan armor, since it's immune to poison.  What I don't get, though, is that the higher-tech armors such as Psi, Ghost, and Archangel *don't* have the poison-filtration. 

Poison spit is kinda non-issue in any armor, since 1 HP/turn is really slow and it's curable. Only had one char die to poison, because I was fleeing with a guy with 1 hp, and derped through a poison cloud. But I'm guessing there's some higher damage poison I haven't come across yet.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: October 18, 2012, 01:59:11 am »

Chryssalids.

You can just hate them. Damn mothefuckers, moving half over the battlefield in one turn.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: October 18, 2012, 02:01:31 am »

Chryssalids are the one reason that the way the enemies get to move when you spot them really bugs me. They'll use their cover turn to get point blank to you, which is game over if that unit has moved already (or your tech level isn't very high).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: October 18, 2012, 02:05:04 am »

Chryssalids are the one reason that the way the enemies get to move when you spot them really bugs me. They'll use their cover turn to get point blank to you, which is game over if that unit has moved already (or your tech level isn't very high).

Its true. It is why using the last turn you have to explore a new area is a bad idea unless you are doing it to just run away.

Since otherwise enemies will get essentially two (or sometimes THREE) moves on your one.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: October 18, 2012, 02:28:19 am »

I's get really annoying when they ASSAULT you and then get yet ANOTHER turn because they spotted you. Computers are cheating bastards.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: October 18, 2012, 03:12:55 am »

That's why I hate terror missions. Move too slow, civilians die. Move too fast, get zombified. At least chryssalids aren't instadeath anymore.

Though the free move isn't so bad with chryssalids, since I always pack heavy close range firepower and keep my units covering each other. I don't like it on the really mobile units like floaters and thin men who use it to get out of sniping range then outflank you.

And it's actually less frustrating than the old XCom's reaction fire when you walk into vision (but I do miss that).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 03:16:25 am by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: October 18, 2012, 04:13:37 am »

Chyrssalids, Mutons, Cyberdisks, Floaters. I can deal with all that on Terror Missions, it's just that god damn Sectopod which fucks up my day. I have to resort to either bombarding it with everything in 1 turn (and hope nothing glitches so it avoids damage like it does sometimes....) or getting someone expendable in Full Cover Hunker Down (Hunker after sniper fires) Line of Sight while sniper just pokes it down from range.

All while civvies are getting murdered everywhere because sectopod spawns within skyranger range behind a wall which explains my hatred for overwatch because it was "ahh shoot chyrssalid coming at me pew-pew miss, oh wall destroyed, oh hello sectopod who hadn't moved yet so has free turn to kill me".

The thing that annoyed me most was my colonel assault got critical wound and stupid support had revive so colonel gets up and sectopod knocks him back down permanently.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: October 18, 2012, 05:48:20 am »

The ending was pretty terrible honestly, but hey... not really playing this game for the story. :P

I would have loved it if there was a completely different ending for impossible difficulty. Instead of all that mystic crap, have the Ethereals talk shit to you the whole way through the final level. Like right from the get go...

"The worthless scum have arrived to be putrefied by our greater intellect."

Then insulting you all the way through.

"How impressive. You killed a Sectoid. Your bulbous mass made that quite the accomplishment. Pathetic creature."

It would be so goddamned satisfying to slaughter them at the end after that.

Imo in the long run it actually made sense.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:51:28 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: October 18, 2012, 06:05:48 am »

Has anyone else found Firestorms to be more or less a waste, beyond the coolness factor?  I haven't built one yet on Classic, but on Normal I never had any trouble taking down anything up to and including Battleships with normal interceptors provided they had weapon upgrades, and that trend seems to be continuing on my Classic playthrough.  The EMP Cannon took down everything in two hits as soon as the 'ceptors closed on Normal, and even if every shot from the alien ship hit they couldn't do enough damage to take it down before that.  Plus, a heavily damaged interceptor takes less time to repair than a lightly damaged Firestorm. 

Also, has anyone noticed an actual difference in salvageable parts from an EMP Cannon vs. Plasma Cannon/Fusion Beam?  Did some light testing and so far didn't seem to make any noticeable difference.  Decided to have a full 4 Firestorms on each continent before doing the final mission, so I had a pretty decent sample size to go on...
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: October 18, 2012, 06:19:47 am »

Has anyone else found Firestorms to be more or less a waste, beyond the coolness factor?  I haven't built one yet on Classic, but on Normal I never had any trouble taking down anything up to and including Battleships with normal interceptors provided they had weapon upgrades, and that trend seems to be continuing on my Classic playthrough.  The EMP Cannon took down everything in two hits as soon as the 'ceptors closed on Normal, and even if every shot from the alien ship hit they couldn't do enough damage to take it down before that.  Plus, a heavily damaged interceptor takes less time to repair than a lightly damaged Firestorm. 

Also, has anyone noticed an actual difference in salvageable parts from an EMP Cannon vs. Plasma Cannon/Fusion Beam?  Did some light testing and so far didn't seem to make any noticeable difference.  Decided to have a full 4 Firestorms on each continent before doing the final mission, so I had a pretty decent sample size to go on...

I found the firestorm useful in taking down the overseer UFO before it gets away. But yeah. Plasma cannon on a normal interceptor or two can take most UFOs down most of the time.

Otherwise. It's a fun game for what it is. What I want them to do now is patch aliens being able to shoot through ceilings/walls randomly. It really cheapens ironman mode when something obviously a bug is responsible for your people dieing.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 06:22:14 am by Lexx »

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: October 18, 2012, 06:45:37 am »

Chryssalids.

You can just hate them. Damn mothefuckers, moving half over the battlefield in one turn.

Once you get chitin plating, they really do become a joke. I like how you need to kill chyssalids to get it though. Ensures the first missions are amazingly tense.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3942 on: October 18, 2012, 06:47:59 am »

Chryssalids.

Once you get chitin plating, they really do become a joke. I like how you need to kill chyssalids to get it though. Ensures the first missions are amazingly tense.
You use chitin plating?

I always reserved the inventory slots for important things, like medkits and scopes

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: October 18, 2012, 06:56:05 am »

Chryssalids.

You use chitin plating?

I always reserved the inventory slots for important things, like medkits and scopes

For early terror missions it works quite well actually, nice health bonus as well when dealing with non-chrysalid enemies. Nano-weave is useless but Chitin plating isn't so bad.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3944 on: October 18, 2012, 06:58:01 am »

Chryssalids.

You use chitin plating?

For early terror missions it works quite well actually, nice health bonus as well when dealing with non-chrysalid enemies. Nano-weave is useless but Chitin plating isn't so bad.
I never had enough corpses to make a good number of plating before I got better armor, after I got the armor I preferred to have other items. Thats what I like about xcom though, everyone plays differently based on their preferences and the situation
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 625