Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960582 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3690 on: October 15, 2012, 07:10:27 pm »

Step 1: grenade the outsider and its cover
Step 2: heavy w/ holographic aim to boost hit chance
Step 3: snipe that thing

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: October 15, 2012, 07:16:21 pm »

It was like the third mission of the game, and I'd picked the other option.

Although I dunno, if I'm doing classic then I'm guessing heavy will take a more long-ranged support role, suppressing and clearing terrain, so maybe holo-target would be a better choice.  I'm impressed, there's actually some strategic depth here.  This is why you should play classic, none of that stuff matters in Normal until Mutons and Heavy Floaters show up, and even then it's not that complicated.

Although some of the skill choices could do with a bit more parity.  As much as I want to be able to run and shoot as a sniper, squadsight is essential.  That choice is no contest.
Shoes...

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: October 15, 2012, 07:26:16 pm »

You know what's really hard? I hacked XCom to make Outsiders have 10Hp.

Fuck.
Team wiped, man.

Why would you do that you masochist bastard.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: October 15, 2012, 07:46:59 pm »

I have successfully taken down the alien base at the cost of the 5 most highly ranked operatives in my team!
It's FEF, not FEOF

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: October 15, 2012, 08:32:10 pm »

I have successfully taken down the alien base at the cost of the 5 most highly ranked operatives in my team!

I did it at the cost of only ONE of my most highly ranked operatives in my team due to extremely poor foresight involving Mind Control! (And one Redshirt who became Cryssalid food, but no one gave a shit about him.)

And with that, I can add Sectoid Commanders to my list of aliens that I want to murder, right next to Cryssalids and Berserkers.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 08:34:42 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #3695 on: October 15, 2012, 08:43:46 pm »

You know what's really hard? I hacked XCom to make Outsiders have 10Hp.

Fuck.
Team wiped, man.

Why would you do that you masochist bastard.

Why wouldn't he.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: October 15, 2012, 08:47:30 pm »

I did it at the cost of only ONE of my most highly ranked operatives in my team due to extremely poor foresight involving Mind Control! (And one Redshirt who became Cryssalid food, but no one gave a shit about him.)

And with that, I can add Sectoid Commanders to my list of aliens that I want to murder, right next to Cryssalids and Berserkers.
I took it down on Classic with no losses my first time through.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: October 15, 2012, 09:47:44 pm »

I was playing on normal (tried classic on my first run, sank hard) and I managed to finish it while losing a single standard alloy SHIV that was repeatedly shot by mutons.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: October 15, 2012, 10:12:21 pm »

Huh. Just completed the first terror mission in classic mode. 0 casualties. 14 civvies rescued. I'm really really glad I had those laser rifles and laser sniper rifle. The squad loadout was 2 support, 1 heavy, and 1 sniper. Supports had laser rifles and medkits; heavy had holo-targetting, standard lmg, and a SCOPE; sniper had a laser sniper rifle and a SCOPE. End of turn 1: 2 Crysallids jumped from the roof, one about 3 tiles away, one immediately adjacent to a support. Heavy and second support take out the one 3 tiles away, sniper headshot crits the one near the support; I even had an overwatch available on that support to end my turn with. Though my setup in the first turn was also quite good, as it turned out. Expected a crysallid roof-drop, so the 3 close range troops were right under the side, while the sniper was back behind a police car, with a clear view down the street and into the alcove the rest of the troops were in. 4 floaters made up the rest of the bunch; took those out with no problems, and no one getting shot. So, a mere 6 aliens to content with. Luckily the crysallids died on turn 2, as I don't think my squad was equipped for a zombie siege.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 10:18:07 pm by alway »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: October 15, 2012, 10:17:53 pm »

I HATE the terror map where there's the one big official-looking building in the center. That place is a DEATHTRAP because it quickly becomes a chryssalid nest. I had to hide on the roof and wait for the chryssalids to burn both their actions running out of the building and jumping onto the roof so I could kill them all without getting massacred.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: October 15, 2012, 10:19:55 pm »

That may have actually been the map I was on; a big marble building in the center of the map, taking up most of it.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: October 15, 2012, 10:29:07 pm »

Just finished my ironman classic run.  In addition to my previous post, the big thing that you have to remember is to treat every mission as if it's the most important in the game.  If you're playing carelessly, a scout UFO can wipe a squad of colonels, but cautious play can let a group of squaddies beat a chrysalid terror mission with zero casualties.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: October 15, 2012, 10:30:46 pm »

That may have actually been the map I was on; a big marble building in the center of the map, taking up most of it.
Tall, round pillars up front? Yeah, that was probably it. I blasted out the wall closest to the Skyranger because a few chryssalids and a cyberdisc had packed up in the door and were ready to piledrive my entire squad if I didn't break them up fast.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: October 15, 2012, 10:44:09 pm »

I was playing my first game in normal and was absolutely kicking ass... then I shot down my first alien abduction barge-thing.  Got into the second-to-last room before the bridge, had my team all stacked up and reloaded outside the door, moved into good cover, had excellent fields of fire on the whole room from multiple angles... 6 Chrysallids popped up and wiped half my team the same turn.  The rest soon followed...

It's fun, but I think the strategic depth is kind of lacking.  The cover mechanic's completely RNG imo, had a half-dozen mutons miss a squaddie redshirt in Carapace from 20 yards away, then a Sectodpod one-shot my Psionic Colonel Sniper in Titan from half the map away on classic.  I liked the way Valkyria Chronicles did it, where cover provides critical immunity, with the hit chance based entirely off of LOS.  Made flanking and flushing much more important.  I also miss customizable inventories, damage types, and multiple weapon choices instead of each one just being an across-the-board statistical upgrade.  The only real choice is between shotgun and assault rifle for the assault class. 

Still, it's fun, and I probably should have known this stuff before I picked it up.  Mostly just saw it on Steam, did a double take, and screamed "XCOM ERMAHGERD!! TAKE MY MONEY!!"
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: October 15, 2012, 10:47:17 pm »

This one is less about tactically using your surroundings and more like diving for the nearest half-cover and firing until the enemies stop firing back. Which makes even sectoids difficult: they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if they tried but they can and will score a critical hit on you if you give them more than 2 turns of firing.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 625