Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960848 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3315 on: October 12, 2012, 10:05:52 pm »

I'm not really upset about the loss of the dude, I'm upset at the failed 95% chance. The fact that the soldier was a good one only amplified it. If he had died to some mundane reason like, say, an Elite Muton getting lucky twice, I would have accepted that. But a 95% chance at perhaps the most crucial moment in the entire mission? Come on.

And he's not my best. Oh no. I've got colonel snipers that have a kill ratio of 2+ or 3+ per mission with an aim of 115.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: October 12, 2012, 10:38:41 pm »

Could be worse, like a CTD RIGHT at the final part of the last mission.

Then finding out that you can't get into that room due to a bug with loading a save :I
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: October 12, 2012, 10:53:06 pm »

I'm not really upset about the loss of the dude, I'm upset at the failed 95% chance. The fact that the soldier was a good one only amplified it. If he had died to some mundane reason like, say, an Elite Muton getting lucky twice, I would have accepted that. But a 95% chance at perhaps the most crucial moment in the entire mission? Come on.

And he's not my best. Oh no. I've got colonel snipers that have a kill ratio of 2+ or 3+ per mission with an aim of 115.

You gotta have that Sun Tzu shit on your mind when you're playing this game.  Risk calculation, son.  It's 95%, sure, but does the cost of failure outweigh the odds of success?  Would you take a 95% chance at a million dollars, if the 5% meant you died?

I just had a really rough mission too.  Lost a lot of good guys, and one colonel.  Android, for fuck's sake.  Why did you leave us?  I remember when I first saw you.  I think if he'd died heroically it might not be so bad.  Ross Rodriguez, another cool guy (I imagined him having an Uncle Rico type voice), died to save a civilian, for example.  I wasn't sad about Ross, I couldn't have asked for a better death.

Android though, God damn.  He got shot by a Muton and bled out because our support was dead and my guys couldn't kill the last enemy in time.  For a guy like him, that's fucked up.
Shoes...

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: October 12, 2012, 10:59:46 pm »

So I've suddenly figured out a great plan to try and keep my soldiers alive.  Spend a lot of time customizing them so you become attached to each individual one, it makes you really think over every single action.  Just completed a terror mission with 20 some enemies and my team was 3 rookies and 3 mid-rank guys, no losses due to NEVER making a quick-thought move.  also luck, copious amounts of luck :p  I think the RNG likes heavily customized soldiers, they seem to preform better.  (read shotgun dude getting a critical that had 5% chance of hitting)
Nom nom nom

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: October 12, 2012, 11:27:08 pm »

I'm not convinced the RNG is quite as R as it'd like us to believe, being that it basically decides what actions will work and what won't on a given turn right at the beginning of said turn.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: October 12, 2012, 11:27:51 pm »

... what?

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: October 12, 2012, 11:29:10 pm »

Try savescumming from the beginning of the turn's autosave on an 80%+ shot that misses.

It'll miss every single time.

Which is to say, each turn has a seed that tells the game what would hit and what wouldn't, I"m pretty sure.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: October 12, 2012, 11:29:39 pm »

Is this game worth playing? Yes/No give it to me straight.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: October 12, 2012, 11:30:55 pm »

RNG pre-rolls at start of turn, to minimize savescummer efficiency, just take a different action.

Yes.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: October 12, 2012, 11:32:00 pm »

Well, I'm not you so I don't know exactly what you like, but if you aren't specifically against turn-based squad tactics, then yes.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: October 12, 2012, 11:33:46 pm »

RNG pre-rolls at start of turn, to minimize savescummer efficiency, just take a different action.

Yes.

Yea, which means each action is essentially a guessing game in the literal sense -- it's already been decided whether it'll hit or not and you just don't know, is all. I dunno, the practical result is the same of course, but it feels kind of cheesy to me.

That said, to the yes/no person, yes.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: October 12, 2012, 11:34:03 pm »

Yes. I haven't played it.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: October 12, 2012, 11:35:08 pm »

I love tactical games, sounds like I'm going to love this,  getting it tonight.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #3328 on: October 12, 2012, 11:47:03 pm »

I'm not convinced the RNG is quite as R as it'd like us to believe, being that it basically decides what actions will work and what won't on a given turn right at the beginning of said turn.

Because (without specialized hardware) computers can't actually generate random numbers.  Read up on psuedo-random number generators (PRNG). The algorithms for how they do it are actually pretty interesting if you're into the mathy / CS sort of thing.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: October 12, 2012, 11:48:23 pm »

Wooo! Wet Works achievement!

That was a lot easier than I expected it to be. I landed at the abduction site and 13 mutons (11 regular mutons and 2 berserkers) charged at me on turn 2 lol... So it was either kill them all by turn 3 or get wiped.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 625