Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960962 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3165 on: October 12, 2012, 06:36:39 am »

Okay, after watching a few videos, I have decided that I REALLY want this game now.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3166 on: October 12, 2012, 06:44:33 am »

Anyone else just feel so satisfied after killing a sectoid with an active mindlink to another thus killing both with one shot?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: October 12, 2012, 06:52:40 am »

Anyone else just feel so satisfied after killing a sectoid with an active mindlink to another thus killing both with one shot?

It is the BEST. Bonus if you make that shot with a sniper using Squad Sight.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: October 12, 2012, 06:55:11 am »

Yep. Mindlink is the silliest power ever, since 9 times out of 10 I can just shoot the sectoid maintaining the mindlink, thus allowing me to kill both of them at the same time. Plus the health/accuracy/critical bonuses from it don't really seem to counterbalance the fact that they're cutting their firepower in half.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: October 12, 2012, 07:18:26 am »

It is the BEST. Bonus if you make that shot with a sniper using Squad Sight.
Thanks for standing still wanker
-TF2 Sniper.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3170 on: October 12, 2012, 07:23:22 am »

Heh, yeah. I guess sectoids don't hit that often, and mindlinks helps them put at least one shot on target...

Hemmingjay, are you doing classic or normal?

That's what I wanted to do, but it's not quite working out so far... spamming satellites is still super expensive. Another uplink is lotsa money, plus 100 for each satellite, and I tend to place them in places where I'm in danger of losing funding. I've only managed to get 3 total satellites, not a lot at all. I've been focusing on getting engineers and/or money, and settled in S. America for the research bonuses on corpses and interrogations. I'm still fairly behind in research though. I've started getting Mutons, and don't have any special equipment yet.

In other words... It's not going as well as I wanted, but then again I barely just started. We'll see.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: October 12, 2012, 07:27:56 am »

Though it should be noted that the bonus damage from mindlink gives them enough damage on a critical to one hit a rookie I believe.
Nom nom nom

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: October 12, 2012, 07:28:51 am »

I am playing Classic on PC and Normal on Xbox. I am using the same strategy for both and both are in the same situation(except on Classic I have 8 deaths, 3 on Normal). It is an expensive strategy and I don't spend money on anything else. I also put off the campaign objectives until I have great upgrades.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: October 12, 2012, 07:46:51 am »

Though it should be noted that the bonus damage from mindlink gives them enough damage on a critical to one hit a rookie I believe.
Yes, this.  It gives em the ability to one shot my noobs. 
Also, in classic, there can be enough of em shooting at me for this to chip down my low-mid rank troops.  2-3 shots to kill.

I am playing Classic on PC and Normal on Xbox. I am using the same strategy for both and both are in the same situation(except on Classic I have 8 deaths, 3 on Normal). It is an expensive strategy and I don't spend money on anything else. I also put off the campaign objectives until I have great upgrades.
Question for ya.... what part are you holding at?  And for how long?  What is the strongest thing you've faced at that part?
I'm wondering if enemy types are ramped up by time or story/campaign progression.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 07:48:36 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: October 12, 2012, 07:53:09 am »

Yes, this.  It gives em the ability to one shot my noobs. 
Also, in classic, there can be enough of em shooting at me for this to chip down my low-mid rank troops.  2-3 shots to kill.

Question for ya.... what part are you holding at?  And for how long?  What is the strongest thing you've faced at that part?
I'm wondering if enemy types are ramped up by time or story/campaign progression.

I think it's by time. I haven't done any of the required objectives outside of getting the stun gun and just encountered my first Muton Berserker. Which is not fun when it can deal 15 damage to a guy in titan armor.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #3175 on: October 12, 2012, 07:56:08 am »

So this is the new Xcom that is NOT fps.  Is it good enough for purchase? How have they changed the amount of guys you can have?
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: October 12, 2012, 08:01:10 am »

We kind of have a whole thread dedicated to discussing those things you asked.

True story:  I was playing a multiplayer game and the other player mind-linked his full health muton elite with a 1-hp regular sectoid.  It was like Christmas.
Shoes...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3177 on: October 12, 2012, 08:05:16 am »

Wow, you could inform yourself a little bit! Check out a LP, or download the demo (which is super handholdy). Either way...

You get 6 guys max, but the combat system has been revamped... which is to say that it's different. Less flexible, but more streamlined and thus less boring. Most people seem to like it at least as much as the previous one.

It's a different game. Less complex, less micromanagement, and perhaps a little more linear, but I'm loving it. Funny thing is, I was a huge fan of X-com but always save-scummed to never have any of my guys die. This one? It's all about ironman mode. It really DOES make you care about every single one of your troopers, and every choice, every shot REALLY counts. I am much more involved emotionally in this one than in the old X-com.

Of course, if you're a fanatic that will not take well to any changes ever, then you won't enjoy it. It IS different.

Cthulhu: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :D Awesome! I can't wait to get home today... and download a huge patch before playing? Dang...

Also yeah, the game progresses whether you do the missions or not. I've actually found the arc thrower to be a decent WEAPON for when you go out of ammo and the other guys are almost done. Pistols might not cut it. This has actually saved a couple of my guys without me expecting it to. On the other hand, grenades wipe cover out (something I always seem to forget) and allow others to show at enemies without any cover penalties. I totally need to start doing this to the stupid squads of Mutons.

Also, did anyone notice thin men don't seem to take damage from grenades if they are in cover? The cover gets destroyed, but they're handydandy. Or did I encounter a bug in a mission?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: October 12, 2012, 08:10:09 am »

The difficulty is mostly tied to the passage of time although it seems to be sped up a little by completing the campaign objectives. I don't want to include spoilers, so I will say I have stopped progressing before making the "key". I have upgraded SHIVs, great armor and weapons as well as 2 full squads of captains-colonels. I will be making a well prepared push on my normal game tonight to test tactics for my classic game. I am overly cautious because I am on Iron man mode.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3179 on: October 12, 2012, 08:21:29 am »

So this is the new Xcom that is NOT fps.  Is it good enough for purchase? How have they changed the amount of guys you can have?
HEY GUYS I IGNORE THREAD IS GAME GUD?

The difficulty is mostly tied to the passage of time although it seems to be sped up a little by completing the campaign objectives. I don't want to include spoilers, so I will say I have stopped progressing before making the "key". I have upgraded SHIVs, great armor and weapons as well as 2 full squads of captains-colonels. I will be making a well prepared push on my normal game tonight to test tactics for my classic game. I am overly cautious because I am on Iron man mode.
See, when I used the "key" I hadn't even built a foundry and my guys had standard armor + laser rifles, my heavy was still using a standard machine gun, and I had nobody higher than Lieutenant
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 625