Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960991 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3135 on: October 11, 2012, 11:36:03 pm »

This is bullshit, I just had 2 sectopods and 2 ethereals thrown at me. How the fuck am I supposed to deal with that shit?

More dakka.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: October 11, 2012, 11:41:09 pm »

This is bullshit, I just had 2 sectopods and 2 ethereals thrown at me. How the fuck am I supposed to deal with that shit?
With that avatar, I'd suspect that you're the only one who really knows.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: October 11, 2012, 11:42:50 pm »

More dakka.

No, Sid Meier. Granted, he disables achievments, but Holy shit. Max rank support and Psyker, with psion armour, plasma rifle, and plasma pistol. Nickname "Godfather". Otto Zander "Unbreakable" comes with an Alloy cannon, Plasma pistol, and Ghost Armour, and is a max rank assault.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: October 11, 2012, 11:47:31 pm »

Wow, I got really lucky with an enemy mind control.

How? He mind controls one of my dudes, which makes another panic and shoot at the mind controlled guy. He misses at a very close range. Then, another panics and runs away. But due to the promotions of the dude mind controlled, he gets a free reaction shot. BUT the guy who's running away has Lightning Reflexes, so the reaction shot missed.

That could have been so, so much worse. The guy who was mind controlled was close to the entire team. And I had two snipers on my team. If either of them panicked, I could have lost someone.

But it's also a shame because the guy mind controlled was the guy with the Arc Thrower, so I didn't get a chance to capture the bugger.

Oh well, I'm just glad to have finished the first alien base with no casualties.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 12:14:16 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: October 11, 2012, 11:57:59 pm »

Lightning Reactions is really weird for me. I keep completely forgetting or not noticing that I both have and will need it, but for some reason the guy triggering reaction fire always ends up being the guy with it anyway.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: October 12, 2012, 12:00:21 am »

Fall back and more dakka?

Also... what...
Tip: A soldier who has survived a critical wound can recover, but suffers a permanent reduction to will.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: October 12, 2012, 12:05:01 am »

Okay, got a chance to play it today... I take back most of my misgivings about the combat system... It's almost perfect... UI glitches aside and the fact that I STILL think the class system is too limiting, I'm very happy with the way combat tends to play out. I'd still prefer more than 4-6 soldiers, but they've at least balanced it somewhat well.

The strategic game, however... part of me just can't figure it out, the other part is raging against the changes, a single catastrophic loss mission seems impossible to recover from, the abductions just don't seem fair, I can't seem to get more than 2 or 3 satellites up before everyone's bailing on me.

I mean, I know it's possible to do well at this game... and I am playing classic ironman... but still...

And I'm sure part of this just is lack of knowledge about what order to do things in... As with so many games, build order is important, and I just haven't found out what works for this.

It is a fun game though, and the Demo really doesn't do it justice. Part of me still doesn't want to call it a true X-Com game... but to be honest... the more I play it, the more it does... just those god damn abduction missions.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: October 12, 2012, 12:24:50 am »

Fall back and more dakka?

Also... what...
Tip: A soldier who has survived a critical wound can recover, but suffers a permanent reduction to will.

Trauma. Will governs his bravery and the like, right? Of course you'd freaking panic if you almost went through a near-death situation AGAIN. I don't agree with permanent reduction, but I don't know how much the reduction is. I would prefer a Will reduction that makes him far more prone to panicking for like five to ten missions' worth of time. Sort of like you need to just let him sit out a few missions if he panics too much to let him get his head straight.
Also often called Boowells.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: October 12, 2012, 12:45:28 am »

Okay, got a chance to play it today... I take back most of my misgivings about the combat system... It's almost perfect... UI glitches aside and the fact that I STILL think the class system is too limiting, I'm very happy with the way combat tends to play out. I'd still prefer more than 4-6 soldiers, but they've at least balanced it somewhat well.

The strategic game, however... part of me just can't figure it out, the other part is raging against the changes, a single catastrophic loss mission seems impossible to recover from, the abductions just don't seem fair, I can't seem to get more than 2 or 3 satellites up before everyone's bailing on me.

I mean, I know it's possible to do well at this game... and I am playing classic ironman... but still...

And I'm sure part of this just is lack of knowledge about what order to do things in... As with so many games, build order is important, and I just haven't found out what works for this.

It is a fun game though, and the Demo really doesn't do it justice. Part of me still doesn't want to call it a true X-Com game... but to be honest... the more I play it, the more it does... just those god damn abduction missions.
Yeah; after my just-about-to-end classic ironman game, I think I'm going to play on normal and simply fast expand my satellite network, while simply eating the cost of bad soldiers and equipment until I get enough each month to steamroll through any expenses.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: October 12, 2012, 01:08:10 am »

I actually thought I had finally turned the tables on the Thin Men.  Then they killed two squaddies in two turns, and the last remaining squaddie panicked and shot the VIP for some unfathomable reason.  Welp.

Considering this was our third mission on the ground, I'm just going to write this universe off.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: October 12, 2012, 01:12:05 am »

I actually thought I had finally turned the tables on the Thin Men.  Then they killed two squaddies in two turns, and the last remaining squaddie panicked and shot the VIP for some unfathomable reason.  Welp.

Considering this was our third mission on the ground, I'm just going to write this universe off.

Rename soldier Otto Zander, Shotgun everything ever.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: October 12, 2012, 01:23:50 am »

Holy shit, y'all.

You remember Hellsing, right? British sniper, first Major in this game, probably my deadliest soldier who's finally getting equipment to match?

His psionic test results came back. He has the gift. The first human known with the will and brainpower to affect the material universe with his mind.

Has he reached gamebreaker status yet? :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: October 12, 2012, 01:25:30 am »

Holy shit, y'all.

You remember Hellsing, right? British sniper, first Major in this game, probably my deadliest soldier who's finally getting equipment to match?

His psionic test results came back. He has the gift. The first human known with the will and brainpower to affect the material universe with his mind.

Not quite "Sid Meier" yet, but close :P

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: October 12, 2012, 01:30:51 am »

Holy shit, y'all.

Not quite "Sid Meier" yet, but close :P
Ohhhh, he'll get there. Or die trying. But considering how rarely he even gets shot at, I think the former is more likely.

Besides, Sid Meier is a Support. Hellsing is a Sniper who's designed from the ground up to commit murder at long range.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: October 12, 2012, 01:32:39 am »

6 hover plasma shivs...those things slaughter so much it isn't even funny...speaking of funny...build 16 workshops next to eachother and see what happens :P
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 625