Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 960945 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #3075 on: October 11, 2012, 05:03:15 pm »

Am I reading this right? A 1.8 GIG patch today? WTF!

It REALLY needed it.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: October 11, 2012, 05:10:49 pm »

I was just one hour from unlock, then patch happened

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: October 11, 2012, 05:51:36 pm »

Patch Notes thread is up on the 2k Forums.

Spoiler: Copied Patch Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 05:58:04 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #3078 on: October 11, 2012, 05:55:25 pm »

File size seems to be due to changes to the main texture files, which are all bundled together in a way that's efficient for running the game but not for patching xD
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 06:01:58 pm by MorleyDev »

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: October 11, 2012, 06:09:30 pm »

GAH! Talon Prime (after 27 missions and 65 kills) just bit the bullet, along with the rest of his squad, because the game decided that the incline of a ramp is enough cover to completely hide a tower death machine. Damn Sectopods to hell!
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: October 11, 2012, 06:11:49 pm »

So, turns out UFO rooftops... are a terrible place to position your soldiers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TL;DR: Rooftops might be good for Squadsight Snipers at the far end of the map, but everybody else should stay the heck off the ceilings. Unless you like the AI getting ridiculous angles through solid metal.  >:(

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: October 11, 2012, 06:26:10 pm »

Woah, you can rotate your camera with the latest patch. Yay!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: October 11, 2012, 06:29:59 pm »

So I though I was doing pretty good in the game... right up to my first crashed battleship battle.  28 enemies almost all of which are either sectopods, heavy mutons, or etherals.  My 6 man elite squad never stood a chance qq
Nom nom nom

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: October 11, 2012, 06:56:41 pm »

I'm going to echo that the one and only glaring problem with the game is the lack of ability to expand your reach.  No matter how many soldiers, how much money, how much technology you ever acquire, you can still only respond to one call for help at time.  On Classic and Impossible difficulty, this turns the game into a race against the clock, because no matter how well you perform, every abduction becomes a one-step-forward two-steps-back fight against the tide of terror sweeping the world.

I think it would be a great mark of achievement in the higher difficulty levels, when you finally have the resources to act in more than one place at a time.  C'mon Firaxis, you know that a stupid fucking idea.

I would say that the base building descriptions could be a little more clear too.  I hobbled myself well into the fourth month because I didn't realize that building a workship gives you engineers.  I thought it just... gave you space for more of them.  Like in the old days.

BTW, the project codename for the Floater autopsy is "Crimson Cape".  That was well appreciated.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: October 11, 2012, 07:06:59 pm »

I've been one nation away from total doomsday for half of my game. Lost the entirety of South America but I've got every remaining nation covered by a satellite so I've managed to stave off defeat. I do agree that's it's lame not being able to deploy more than one Ranger at a time. The whole "Pick one, lose two" thing is utter crap on Classic. I want to fail because I physically don't have the soldiers or Rangers to respond, not because the game pigeon holes me into it.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: October 11, 2012, 07:21:03 pm »

I'm going to echo that the one and only glaring problem with the game is the lack of ability to expand your reach.  No matter how many soldiers, how much money, how much technology you ever acquire, you can still only respond to one call for help at time.  On Classic and Impossible difficulty, this turns the game into a race against the clock, because no matter how well you perform, every abduction becomes a one-step-forward two-steps-back fight against the tide of terror sweeping the world.

While it is a bit arbitrary, the sense of racing against the clock does contribute to the feel of the alien invasion.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: October 11, 2012, 07:27:07 pm »

While it is a bit arbitrary, the sense of racing against the clock does contribute to the feel of the alien invasion.

I like the race against the clock feel, I just wish it had been implemented in a less heavy-handed fashion.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: October 11, 2012, 07:33:42 pm »

Just came back from my first encounter with Berserkers...
Aside from taking an inordinate number of shots to bring down, they really didn't bother me much. I even managed to capture one.
However, this was in a relatively open area with my entire squad ready to shoot. I assume they'd be far more dangerous in other situations.

Also, I keep trying to have Hellsing and Grande psi-tested. Sadly, they keep getting dragged back out for terror missions and landed UFOs, where I need my very best murder machines :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: October 11, 2012, 07:37:53 pm »

So I got my first max-psy ranked soldier, only to have him blown to very tiny bits halfway through his first mission where he could use mind control.  Fuck you sectopods and your ability to launch missile silos that deal way too fucking much damage.
Nom nom nom

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #3089 on: October 11, 2012, 07:41:11 pm »

Woah, you can rotate your camera with the latest patch. Yay!

Pretty sure it was possible to rotate the camera before the patch, unless i'm mistaken.

Anyway, game unlocked for me an hour ago though i slept in a bit so i got on after it unlocked, but since it's downloading the patch it means my first personal experience will be that little bit less buggy. :D

Though of course it's gonna take somewhere under half an hour to download. WHY MUST YOU TEASE ME SO?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 07:42:48 pm by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 625