Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961319 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #2190 on: September 27, 2012, 03:23:17 pm »

At no point did the two people complaining about the key rebinding over-react with a "RUINED FOREVER!!!" post.  I even went as far to add the "Ah, first world problems" with a smiley face to indicate just how important I thought my own semi-rant was.  I personally think that hard-coded keybindings are a classic PC game no-no and one of the easily corrected things that give "console ports" a bad name, but as pointed out, its just a camera control.  I'll live.

I was more aiming at the official forums and "teh video game news blogs comments" than anything/one here, and that point there was more of a general feedoff of thoughts than directly related (upon reflection probably should of appeared at the bottom of that whole section of talk to keep it separate from that notion, ninja edited!)...

"RUINED FOREVER!!!" was an exaggeration for the purposes of humour, sorry that did not come across as effectively as I wished it would :) Ruined Forever refers to when there is a massive negative fan or individual reaction to a single event or change which, upon reflection, isn't that big of a deal.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 03:25:05 pm by MorleyDev »

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: September 27, 2012, 03:26:35 pm »

Ah, no prob.  Someone had already mentioned the keybinding complaints as not a shining example of "critical thinking" so I was wondering if that was getting singled out as an example of the boo-birds.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: September 27, 2012, 03:31:50 pm »

Hmm. I'm torn between the desire to uninstall the demo and wait for the real game to come out; thus saving me from any real spoilers. Or...getting the hack to the demo so I can try it out some more with different aliens.

Grr...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: September 27, 2012, 03:46:16 pm »

I used the demo to get a *feel* of the game, I didnt like some stuff but heck... i loved the UFO: After serie... Needless to say that game has been preordered ( not the ufo series, these i got at bargain price )
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: September 27, 2012, 04:20:24 pm »

Hmm. I'm torn between the desire to uninstall the demo and wait for the real game to come out; thus saving me from any real spoilers. Or...getting the hack to the demo so I can try it out some more with different aliens.

Grr...
I say wait for it. Squeezing a little bit more out of the demo will probably just whet your appetite more.

Gonna be a looooooong two weeks, though. :<

Ah, no prob.  Someone had already mentioned the keybinding complaints as not a shining example of "critical thinking" so I was wondering if that was getting singled out as an example of the boo-birds.
I didn't mean it in a disparaging way, I just didn't think it was especially insightful.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2195 on: September 27, 2012, 04:39:33 pm »

They wouldn't be as long if people would quickly preorder even more. Then we'd get Civ5 and while the time away. I was hoping I'd be able to play it this weekend, but at this rate we'll probably get it on Tuesday or Wednesday or so.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: September 27, 2012, 05:17:58 pm »

Wasn't it 10% lower yesterday? At that rate it'd be available for at least some of the weekend.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2197 on: September 27, 2012, 05:20:54 pm »

I guess I've been checking far too often to get an accurate estimate of how fast it's growing. It always seems like too much time has gone by :P

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: September 27, 2012, 05:27:32 pm »

I expect it to hit either tomorrow morning or monday afternoon depending on when people get paid.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: September 27, 2012, 07:14:37 pm »

Finally played the demo, about to start the first real mission I think.  The voice thing is a little more jarring than I thought it would be, but all the voices are pretty amateurish (the general guy in the trailer is so bad it's almost funny), so I'm going to go with the local "talent" explanation.

As for multiple skyrangers, I never really saw a need for that kind of thing, even on harder difficulties I could usually handle it.  Multiple interceptors hell yeah, but I only really used extra bases as listening stations.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:18:29 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: September 27, 2012, 07:20:08 pm »

Finally played the demo, about to start the first real mission I think.  The voice thing is a little more jarring than I thought it would be, but all the voices are pretty amateurish (the general guy in the trailer is so bad it's almost funny), so I'm going to go with the local "talent" explanation.
I actually really liked the voice acting. It was absolutely terrible, but in a way that gives it a sort of classic 'action heroes' vibe which fits really well with the game's theme.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: September 27, 2012, 08:46:04 pm »

I actually really liked the voice acting. It was absolutely terrible, but in a way that gives it a sort of classic 'action heroes' vibe which fits really well with the game's theme.

I'd like to believe it was trying for a cheesy action movie vibe, but it was so wooden and phoned-in that I couldn't be sure if it was intentionally bad or just plain bad.  I'd honestly prefer they all just shut the Hell up, because the cutscenes are so cut and dried they're not even worth watching.

The gameplay I don't really have a problem with.  It's not X-COM as I remember it no, but it does feel reasonably solid.  It's kinda like a flash-game pastiche of X-COM, all of the strategy and tactics with virtually none of the detail.  Which is alright, because it trades detail for speed and X-COM battles could take a long damn time to play.  And it is self-reinforcing when you get into it.  I understand that the demo is hard-coded to Easy Mode or something but the AI still isn't stupid, and you can definitely lose guys if you don't take it seriously.

All in all, I'm not disappointed with pre-ordering it, because frankly I've spent as much on far worse games, and this one is at least trying.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: September 27, 2012, 10:39:46 pm »

Ironman Mode + Impossible Difficulty = Dwarf Fortress Mode no cage traps or drawbridge edition

Losing is fun and I will enjoy every second

This shall  be my turnbased roguelike for a loooong time I think. Modding support is likely to come and when that comes... Well its game over this game will be endless enjoyment
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 10:43:06 pm by Kromgar »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: September 27, 2012, 11:40:59 pm »

Ironman Mode + Impossible Difficulty = Dwarf Fortress Mode no cage traps or drawbridge edition

Losing is fun and I will enjoy every second

This shall  be my turnbased roguelike for a loooong time I think. Modding support is likely to come and when that comes... Well its game over this game will be endless enjoyment

Ooh, it's like if nethack took 20+ hours to beat.  AKA really disappointing if you lose.  Good luck.
(the hours was just a guess)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: September 28, 2012, 12:13:19 am »

I have long since learned that difficulty doesn't equal fun.

Many games get less fun as difficulty increases.

This Xcom... OHH BOY this Xcom... is more then capable of being one of those games.

If "Hard" equals "Inch by inch gameplay" then yeah... this is definately one of those "less fun" games.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 625