Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961507 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1995 on: September 25, 2012, 03:53:14 am »

I really liked that each soldier has his country's flag on his back. I was kind of sad they didn't all have characteristic accents, but that's ok.

This is something that has really annoyed me.

Customising a Scottish soldier...accent choices = American, American, American and American.
Customising a British soldier (not sure why Scotland and Great Britain are separate here...) accent choices = American, American, American and American.
Customising a Japanese soldier...accent choices = American, American, American and American.
Customising an African soldier...accent choices = American, American, American and American.

Really?

All these nationalities that you can choose from and all of the accents (four choices) are standard American accents?

An oversight or laziness? It's started to make me worry. If they could have an oversight like that, what else have they overlooked?

Voice acting costs a bomb and there are an awful lot of countries on this planet.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: September 25, 2012, 04:30:17 am »

I really liked that each soldier has his country's flag on his back. I was kind of sad they didn't all have characteristic accents, but that's ok.

This is something that has really annoyed me.

Customising a Scottish soldier...accent choices = American, American, American and American.
Customising a British soldier (not sure why Scotland and Great Britain are separate here...) accent choices = American, American, American and American.
Customising a Japanese soldier...accent choices = American, American, American and American.
Customising an African soldier...accent choices = American, American, American and American.

Really?

All these nationalities that you can choose from and all of the accents (four choices) are standard American accents?

An oversight or laziness? It's started to make me worry. If they could have an oversight like that, what else have they overlooked?

Voice acting costs a bomb and there are an awful lot of countries on this planet.

Ya, theres what, 20 countrys, though some would overlap, maybe 15 uniaue accents. Plus male and female, so your talking about multiplying your squad response buget by at least 30, assuming you can hire them all for the same ammount. Plus actually finding and hiring good voiceactors...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: September 25, 2012, 04:31:28 am »

I'd be funny if you could put decals on your soldiers. I'd put a bullseye on all the rookies... if they got past THAT, then they'd get some standard colour :P
Oh man, I'd totally give my rookies ham sandwiches or something. Then if they survived a mission or two, they'd be upgraded to field mice. By the time they became hardened veterans they'd be up to wolves or Thor's hammers or something.

Hm, I wonder if this could inspire a valid coloring scheme...

If/once they let us mod it this should correct itself rather quickly. Morgan Freeman soldiers in no time.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: September 25, 2012, 04:32:04 am »

There are definitely more than twenty sovereign nations.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: September 25, 2012, 04:37:01 am »

Uh, yeah, over 200, unless I'm seriously mistaken.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: September 25, 2012, 04:50:12 am »

Ya, theres what, 20 countrys,
Are You American by yourself, perhaps?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: September 25, 2012, 05:14:38 am »

That's not nice. I'm American, too.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: September 25, 2012, 06:08:34 am »

I was refering to the countries represented in game, but thank.
Also, I am both very aware there are more than 20 nations in the world, and Canadian. So, while no hard feelings towards our neighbours to the south, I think I choose to be insulted.
Eh?

EDIT: To clarify further, I was refering to the countries, in the game, which provide you soldiers.
Good lord, what do you people think of me!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:11:43 am by timferius »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: September 25, 2012, 06:19:05 am »

Uh, yeah, over 200, unless I'm seriously mistaken.
Not in the game. I recall them mentioning a number, and it was definitely less than 3 digits.

Also, somebody here is overestimating the cost of including different voices. Jagged Alliance 2, anyone? That fit on 1 cd.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: September 25, 2012, 06:29:04 am »

Yeah they could have just had a few actors doing different accents, actors do it all the time, ie: theres heaps of british actors doing american accents on american tv.
They could have just done maybe 5 sets of accents, American (Midwest or something with a hint of cowboy feel but not overkill), english, some kind of terrible european accent that'll serve for every damn EU country, Morgan freeman, and chuck norris Bruce lee for all of asia.
That should be sufficient to create some kind of illusion that theres people from different countries, while also pissing 90% of the players for having unrealistic interpretation of their accent.
Also they could get the one actor doing each kind of accent to record each accent slightly different a few times so theres at least some variety, and maybe run the recordings through a filter that changes pitch/tone/ speed, to turn 1 accent into a dozen.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: September 25, 2012, 07:23:54 am »

Dude, dick move.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: September 25, 2012, 08:32:42 am »

I can't wait for the day when someone invents a piece of software that can accurately generate unique voices from a few sample sound bits.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:03:31 am by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: September 25, 2012, 09:07:26 am »

Yeah they could have just had a few actors doing different accents, actors do it all the time, ie: theres heaps of british actors doing american accents on american tv.
They could have just done maybe 5 sets of accents, American (Midwest or something with a hint of cowboy feel but not overkill), english, some kind of terrible european accent that'll serve for every damn EU country, Morgan freeman, and chuck norris Bruce lee for all of asia.
That should be sufficient to create some kind of illusion that theres people from different countries, while also pissing 90% of the players for having unrealistic interpretation of their accent.
They've sort of already put that in, except not for the soldiers. The researcher woman in the briefing has a thick French-like/European accent.

Also, having played some of the demo, I now realize why they stuck with such a limited number of voices. It's cause the soldiers talk in length during the god awful cutscenes, and there's probably a lot of them.

Some other things from the demo:
-Aliens initially drop some things that turn people into green stuff or something? Is that supposed to be like a Troll 2 thing where they change people into this stuff and eat it? Or is it supposed to be like the most inept bioweapon ever? If this was ever explained, then I must've skipped it.
-The briefing guy is a moron who cannot understand "hilfe" and needs dr. Frenchie to translate for his stupid ass. I do not want either of these idiots to say anything, really. The whole concept of adding a narration this explicit is completely misguided and cheapens everything.
-The speeches are horribly cliche and constantly insult the player's intelligence.
-The gameplay isn't bad at all (when looking at it as a separate tactical turn-based game), except it's hindered by horrendous cutscenes and "story" levels.
-Both levels presented are cutscene shooter design. The first is an over-narrated tutorial where you know what's gonna happen before it does and would totally avoid these things using common sense if the game didn't order you to do them. The second is a corridor. It's got like 1:4 ratio dimensions, and cover everywhere along the way. It's just there to present the three basic alien types and give each a short cutscene where they do something and the briefing idiots start blabbering something about them before you shoot them.
-Having to choose between two locations to go to is nonsensical. In the post-demo cutscene, they even refer to an XCOM team as "Alpha team", implying there's more than one team. So why do they send out only one team at a time?

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: September 25, 2012, 09:10:51 am »

So I just figured out how to turn the difficulty up from easy to superhuman. Lost 2 guys on the second mission with the survivors being terribly wounded.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: September 25, 2012, 09:19:49 am »

Hard to tell from a heavily scripted demo, but I think I might like this quite a lot.
I knew I liked it the instant my soldier shotgunned a floater out of the air in reaction fire and yelled "Yeeeeehaw!"

Did you make your guy sing "you are so beautiful" to lure it out into the open?

-Aliens initially drop some things that turn people into green stuff or something? Is that supposed to be like a Troll 2 thing where they change people into this stuff and eat it? Or is it supposed to be like the most inept bioweapon ever? If this was ever explained, then I must've skipped it.

IIRC, from the video that was in an "abduction mission", so I'm guessing it's some gunk they spray people on to immobilize them and maybe kidnap them? Or maybe it's just some ambience stuff that kills people in a messy way for the lulz...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:26:30 am by Sergius »
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 625