Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961780 times)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1740 on: September 12, 2012, 06:27:56 pm »

I wonder, if you peg a sectoid dead on with a rocket, will you vaporize them completly, blow them into giblets, or just knock them down?

I do recall them saying that their isn't a gore mode in one of the gameplay things. So I assume not.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: September 12, 2012, 07:47:05 pm »

I've already got 818 GB of total hard drive space spread across four partitions on two hard drives (199 GB, 199 GB, 188 GB, and 232 GB, and only have free 72.7 GB, 71.6 GB, 8.78 GB, and 9.27 GB, respectively.)

I would prefer to not have to uninstall stuff all the time to make room for more stuff and keep the drives operating smoothly.  Apparently 3TB drives have issues, and 2 TB drives are $100+. 1862 GB (1.8 TB), if allocated to games which are about 50 GB each, would only be enough for 37 of them (and doesn't account for leaving 15% of the drive empty so it runs well, or for the OS, or anything else). Worse, Steam wants to only install stuff on one drive.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: September 12, 2012, 07:57:49 pm »

I would ask why you have 4 partitions, but I won't...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: September 12, 2012, 08:14:52 pm »

Games aren't going to get any smaller guys. You may want to invest in a slightly larger drive if you can afford one, they're fairly cheap these days.
Thirded. You can grab  harddrives for under 10c a gig these days. Even if you don't want to go all out for a 2 TB HDD you can always still grab another 250gb. Most motherboards have 4 sata slots anyway.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: September 12, 2012, 08:17:21 pm »

A little trickier for those of us with laptops, though. :/
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: September 12, 2012, 08:36:12 pm »

May I recommend the good ol' fashioned insurance bait-and-switch technique for that? Or you can pay a little bit more for the enclosure.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: September 12, 2012, 09:00:06 pm »

I have a 1TB hard drive, and it's astounding that I've managed to fill it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: September 12, 2012, 09:53:03 pm »

The denotation would be that someone is literally wearing rose tinted glasses

No...

I am talking about the difference between what is being said and what is being implied.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: September 12, 2012, 10:03:49 pm »

I've already got 818 GB of total hard drive space spread across four partitions on two hard drives (199 GB, 199 GB, 188 GB, and 232 GB, and only have free 72.7 GB, 71.6 GB, 8.78 GB, and 9.27 GB, respectively.)

I would prefer to not have to uninstall stuff all the time to make room for more stuff and keep the drives operating smoothly.  Apparently 3TB drives have issues, and 2 TB drives are $100+. 1862 GB (1.8 TB), if allocated to games which are about 50 GB each, would only be enough for 37 of them (and doesn't account for leaving 15% of the drive empty so it runs well, or for the OS, or anything else). Worse, Steam wants to only install stuff on one drive.

3TB only have issues if you are running on a MBR table instead of a GPT. And steam finally updated to allow you to install games on different drives.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: September 12, 2012, 10:06:41 pm »

Neonivek, I too have recently gained my Ph.D in English Semantics and also majored in Western Cultural Iconography as it Relates to People on Internet Forums as well as studying Sexism in the New Media Environment. I just thought you should know.......

Seriously. Bay12 hands these things out after 100 posts or so :)
It's a game. Have fun.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: September 12, 2012, 11:23:29 pm »

The denotation would be that someone is literally wearing rose tinted glasses

No...

I am talking about the difference between what is being said and what is being implied.

If you think it's being implied that you haven't played the original X-Com for years, well, I don't know what to tell you. It's pretty much IMPLIED that any fans of original X-Com play it regularly (or at least not so long ago that they can't remember it right), and it's not some distant 90's memory like Vanilla Ice or the Clinton Administration.

So I don't see it being implied at all.

If you want to disagree, you should first read between the lines, so you know what I really mean, not just what I said.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 11:25:25 pm by Sergius »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: September 13, 2012, 12:17:34 am »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/11/finally-an-in-built-way-to-choose-steam-install-locations/

This is prolly relevant to you. It's a bit of a pain to set up, but at least you'll be able to change the install location now.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: September 13, 2012, 01:18:44 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: September 13, 2012, 03:49:00 am »

X-COM rookies
:P

Also, this thread is making me want to do an X-COM LP again. Arguably silly with the newer one coming out in a month, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: September 13, 2012, 04:10:17 am »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/11/finally-an-in-built-way-to-choose-steam-install-locations/

This is prolly relevant to you. It's a bit of a pain to set up, but at least you'll be able to change the install location now.

My god, about time steam, I just pretty much was installing games then moving all the files to another folder and uninstalling the game so if I wanted to I could install it in a few minutes without a huge download but this is so much better.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 625