Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961795 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1695 on: September 12, 2012, 09:39:43 am »

"Why do they look like musclebound bruisers? So unrealistic! You're killing XCOM!"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We've all played the original game, right? It's not expensive. Our XCOM units are all good looking fellows with primed bodies which frequently survive plasma hits to the unarmoured chest. To give you perspective, if the plasma hit had missed, it would blow a man-sized hole in the wall behind our heroes.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:18:19 am by Grakelin »
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: September 12, 2012, 09:49:18 am »

Thank you.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1697 on: September 12, 2012, 09:54:48 am »

which frequently survive plasma hits to the unarmoured chest
Sorry what game were you playing? Was this on easy? Because I distinctly remember lots of death when being hit by plasma while unarmored.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: September 12, 2012, 10:00:04 am »

Which is whatever... I got long ago that they dropped all pretense of this game trying to even have a hint of reality as soon as I saw the space armor

Yeah, because the original set that reality bar soooo high...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuRzCHaeyXY

An 80's Saturday morning cartoon couldn't set the reality bar lower, bub.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: September 12, 2012, 10:07:55 am »

"Why do they look like musclebound bruisers? So unrealistic! You're killing XCOM!"

We've all played the original game, right? It's not expensive. Our XCOM units are all good looking fellows with primed bodies which frequently survive plasma hits to the unarmoured chest. To give you perspective, if the plasma hit had missed, it would blow a man-sized hole in the wall behind our heroes.
Alright. Now compare male and female operatives from the first 3 X-COMs and we're all set.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: September 12, 2012, 10:13:24 am »

Yeah, because the original set that reality bar soooo high...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuRzCHaeyXY
That cut-scene had nothing to do with the game. Half of the stuff that's in the movie wasn't in the game. And the other half was all wrong.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: September 12, 2012, 10:22:09 am »

Anyway, to find the old operatives!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: September 12, 2012, 10:24:33 am »

Sorry what game were you playing? Was this on easy? Because I distinctly remember lots of death when being hit by plasma while unarmored.
Easy difficulty just lowered the stats of the aliens.

The damage shown in he UFOpedia was just the average damage. In reality it was a random number between 0 and 2n, where n is the damage shown. So an unarmoured grunt could survive a hit, but the chances of that were low. Maybe... 1/3th for the plasma pistol? The fatal wounds would kill them shortly after though.

EDIT: It's closer to 1/5th. Grunts start off with less health than I thought. Obviously grunts have a worse chance to survive a blast from plasma rifles or heavy plasma. Something around 3/20th for the plasma rifle and 1/10 for the heavy plasma. That's for a grunt at the lowest health and not accounting for armour, but the numbers should give you a general idea of how powerful plasma weaponry is.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:34:58 am by USEC_OFFICER »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1703 on: September 12, 2012, 10:29:26 am »

Easy difficulty just lowered the stats of the aliens.

The damage shown in he UFOpedia was just the average damage. In reality it was a random number between 0 and 2n, where n is the damage shown. So an unarmoured grunt could survive a hit, but the chances of that were low. Maybe... 1/3th for the plasma pistol? The fatal wounds would kill them shortly after though.
Yes that is the xcom I remember.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: September 12, 2012, 10:40:31 am »

Has it really been three pages of people asspained because the developers made the units somewhat attractive? When the hell did this thread become a quasi-sexist one?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: September 12, 2012, 10:43:49 am »

Especially in turn based games with lots of characters. It also makes picking them out of the pack easier too if there are body type differences, so its often a mechanical improvement as well.

Was inspired to pick up my old save again. This comment rings true. The guy up front is probably Shigeo Okabe, but I have no idea.

(Anyone else remember some of their characters constantly shifting gender and ethnicity?)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: September 12, 2012, 10:44:32 am »

Especially in turn based games with lots of characters. It also makes picking them out of the pack easier too if there are body type differences, so its often a mechanical improvement as well.

Was inspired to pick up my old save again. This comment rings true. The guy up front is probably Shigeo Okabe, but I have no idea.

(Anyone else remember some of their characters constantly shifting gender and ethnicity?)
That, specifically, is why I came up with the Maxclones.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: September 12, 2012, 10:49:48 am »

That cut-scene had nothing to do with the game. Half of the stuff that's in the movie wasn't in the game. And the other half was all wrong.

That cut-scene was the opener to the game, cut scenes certainly do have something to do with a game, particularly an opener like that which establishes what the game is about.  Agreed that it wasn't terribly accurate (Wait, you mean we just walk out of the Skyranger one by one?  Can't we make a heroic leap into the air all at once?) , but its still a classic opener.  My point was to establish how cartoony the original was, to the point that calling it 'realistic' (in comparison) is silly.

The armor in that final still picture of the operatives?  Completely present as the first level of personal armor you can research.  Those aliens in green spandex?  Completely in the game.  Do we need to post screencaps of the actual game to remind ourselves of how cartoony the actual game's art was?  Comparing youtube videos of classic XCom vs the demos from the new one, can anyone honestly argue that the original had a more realistic look to it? 

I mean seriously:
http://gamerinvestments.com/video-game-stocks/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Xcom_1.png
and
http://i.imgur.com/ovLLc.png

Which one would look more 'realistic' if you walked out onto the street right now and bumped into them?  Apparently the new ones look so corny that one expects them to be holding a "medical gun" (/disappointed:  "Archimedes!").  Whatev's.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:52:59 am by Werdna »
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: September 12, 2012, 11:05:42 am »

...I don't think people are complaining about how the old game was unrealistic, or even that the new game is unrealistic. I think people were complaining about character models.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: September 12, 2012, 11:15:46 am »

The armor in that final still picture of the operatives?  Completely present as the first level of personal armor you can research.  Those aliens in green spandex?  Completely in the game.  Do we need to post screencaps of the actual game to remind ourselves of how cartoony the actual game's art was?  Comparing youtube videos of classic XCom vs the demos from the new one, can anyone honestly argue that the original had a more realistic look to it? 
The "aliens in green spandex" (Mutons) are in the game, but the one in red isn't, nor can the be killed with a rifle (without emptying the whole clip into one), (and who the hell has tier 1 weapons at this point on the story?), nor do they carry plasma pistols, nor do they teleport, nor can they fly away from a terror mission (only you can do that- anti-AI discrimination FTW!).

The first game had a very cartoony skin (to help you dissociate from all the GENOCIDE going on) but the game itself was quite grimdark.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 625