Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962309 times)

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1035 on: May 26, 2012, 08:08:21 am »

SPAM ATTACK! Gamespy has a preview up, going into detail about the tutorial campaign. There is also some info regarding the "starting bonusses" you receive when you pick the location of your base.

Quote from: Gamespy Preview May 22 2012
North America, "Air and Space" - All aircraft and aircraft weapons cost 50% less to purchase, build and maintain.

Europe, "Expert Knowledge" - Labs and workshops cost 50% less to build and maintain.

Asia, "Future Combat" - All projects in the foundry and the Officer Training school cost 50% less.

South America "We Have Ways" - Autopsies and Interrogations are completed instantly.

Africa, "All In" - Monthly XCOM funding increased by 25%.

Read more here. SPOILER ALERT!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 08:12:09 am by Dohon »
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: May 26, 2012, 08:10:30 am »

Weird choice for Africa.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: May 26, 2012, 08:58:34 am »

Weird choice for Africa.

I read somewhere some time ago, that if Africa would pull it's shit together it might become a great center for banking and stuff (I think that during recession a few Nigerian banks had great times). But I wanna say I agree with you, but... That's racist!..

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: May 26, 2012, 09:19:17 am »

Not really, it just isn't a continent known for it's excessive wealth.

America would make more sense, with the Middle East offering decreased aircraft maintenance cos of oil and stuff.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: May 26, 2012, 09:56:05 am »

Weird choice for Africa.

Not really. If Africa ever had a threat that could tie the continent together as a cohesive force, then they might end up as a huge power block. They have the man-power, the resources, the cheap labour, the ability to do things covertly, they also have many funding channels open where things could be "off-books" for the fund-raisers, either shown as being benefactors or simply as under-the-table deals.

This is the future. Within 20-30 years Africa is expected to be the next China or India in the real world. This is the very reason why China, India and the rest of the world are investing a little ahead of schedule so that the returns are all the greater when the continent emerges fully towards the potential it shows.

Seems like quite a reasonable benefit for starting in Africa really.
It's a game. Have fun.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: May 26, 2012, 10:11:50 am »

That could well be true, but AFAIK X-COM is set tomorrow, or possibly the day after.

You can play through the game twice in its entirety and never see the same map.

That's either a lie, or they have an awfully large amount of maps.  Hoping for the latter.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 10:38:02 am by lordcooper »

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: May 26, 2012, 10:44:24 am »

That could well be true, but AFAIK X-COM is set tomorrow, or possibly the day after.

You can play through the game twice in its entirety and never see the same map.

That's either a lie, or they have an awfully large amount of maps.  Hoping for the latter.

I was hoping for randomly generated maps, since hand-made maps differ too greatly to feel x-com-like :D.

We don't really know the date when X-COM is set.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: May 26, 2012, 11:00:27 am »

even if map are similar, tech escalation should be the same in each game, so that's quite a bogus claim.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: May 26, 2012, 12:10:14 pm »

Their justification was that Africa IS absurdly wealthy, they just don't utilize most of it efficiently. In terms of natural resources, at least. Also, Africa might include the middle east in-game, or at least a good chunk of it. Oil!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: May 26, 2012, 01:52:14 pm »

even if map are similar, tech escalation should be the same in each game, so that's quite a bogus claim.

Well. There was a mention of choice between high tech, high equipment, and high training. Which I guess is possible, in which case yeah it could be true. But I dunno.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: May 26, 2012, 01:54:56 pm »

There could also be multiple, branching paths of research, like there was in the first game but expanded (ie: do you continue down weapon paths, focus on psionics, improve you soldiers' survivability, etc). Making blanket statements about a game that has not even been demoed and has maybe an hour of total footage released so far seems pretty stupid illogical to me.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: May 26, 2012, 02:05:00 pm »

Their justification was that Africa IS absurdly wealthy, they just don't utilize most of it efficiently. In terms of natural resources, at least. Also, Africa might include the middle east in-game, or at least a good chunk of it. Oil!

Oil, the highest concentration of gold, diamond, and other natural resources that  could make alot of pretty pennies for X-com if they were to get involved in it.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: May 26, 2012, 06:08:08 pm »

I don't think that one is half as racist as

South America "We Have Ways" - Autopsies and Interrogations are completed instantly.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: May 26, 2012, 07:10:26 pm »

There is a certain amount of "experience" in S.America in things like kidnapping, torture, forced confessions and a somewhat charming attitude towards law and order and the prosecution of known criminals.

Imagine what could happen if they wouldn't be breaking any ethical codes or moral standards. Human rights are for the humans, the aliens don't have them.

What happens in South America often stays in South America. In garbage bags and missing some toes. They have ways to make sure that this is so. :)

(It's not racist if it is said with a morbid admiration and just a little bit of fear. With a smiley face.)
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: May 26, 2012, 08:21:26 pm »

Actually, just that one sentence for a starting base bonus kind of sends chills up my spine. People have said that the new Xcom aliens seem too animalistic, they make the wrong sounds, they're not eerie and quiet anymore. Perhaps it's not the aliens that are meant to be scary or a hidden terror. They're aliens, they're bad, we kill them.

If humans and earth, with it's track record of sometimes doing things somewhat amorally when the chips are down, got into a war against an alien civilisation, I don't think we'd be very nice to them at all. We're in the trenches and we're losing. Our friends, our family and our hometowns are being wiped out. It's time to cut bits off every bastard you capture alive, then cut some more off when they're dead.

It might not be grim-dark, but maybe humans aren't necessarily the good guys in Xcom. They're just the other side in a war, a war that they intend to win. We might not growl much, but we can be pretty damn scary when we need to be. Against the enemy and even against our own, to "raise morale" of course. Plus we know how to cut bits off. Either for !science! or just to prove a point.

Humans can be quite effective as terror weapons as well, the aliens will find that out in due time.

I really like that starting bonus........
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 08:23:57 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 625