Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Human Diplomat Dead Upon Arrival  (Read 3535 times)

RomanGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Baruk khazad! Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
Human Diplomat Dead Upon Arrival
« on: January 04, 2012, 07:57:54 pm »

Um, so I was just doing the usual stuff with my fortress and an annoucement came up and said a human diplomat had arrived.  I believe it paused and zoomed in on him and I thought nothing of it.  I however did a double-take at the diplomat, for upon closer inspection the diplomats icon showed that he was not alive but a body.  I used k to look closer and sure enough he was dead, with all of his clothes lying there as well.

He just appeared at my map edge already dead.  The human caravan arrived a short while later perfectly fine, we traded, and they left.  What could possibly have killed him?  Did he die of old age?  And most importantly, will this affect my fortress, like getting blamed for his death?  I dont think I did anything to cause this, but I guess you never know with DF.
The world is grey, the mountains old,
the forge's fire is ashen cold.
No harp is wrung, no hammer falls,
the darkness dwells in Durin's halls.
In Moria, in Khazad-dum.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: Human Diplomat Dead Upon Arrival
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 08:00:59 pm »

He just appeared at my map edge already dead.

That saves you some effort.
Never pet a burning dog.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 08:01:11 pm »

It's pretty obvious that he died of acute beardlessness. Terrible shame, that. You didn't even get to throw him in the Project Spartan pit.
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 08:01:56 pm »

Bah. Feed his corpse to the dogs. He was probably attacked by elves or gobbos on the way.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 08:03:56 pm »

You guys are useless >_>
Um, so I was just doing the usual stuff with my fortress and an annoucement came up and said a human diplomat had arrived.  I believe it paused and zoomed in on him and I thought nothing of it.  I however did a double-take at the diplomat, for upon closer inspection the diplomats icon showed that he was not alive but a body.  I used k to look closer and sure enough he was dead, with all of his clothes lying there as well.

He just appeared at my map edge already dead.  The human caravan arrived a short while later perfectly fine, we traded, and they left.  What could possibly have killed him?  Did he die of old age?  And most importantly, will this affect my fortress, like getting blamed for his death?  I dont think I did anything to cause this, but I guess you never know with DF.
Probably age, anything in the battle reports?

RomanGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 08:11:59 pm »

Ah forgot to mention, no battle reports.  His corpse is flashing, does that mean anything?
In Moria, in Khazad-dum.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 08:13:25 pm »

Ah forgot to mention, no battle reports.  His corpse is flashing, does that mean anything?
bunch of items in one spot, next thing i would say is savecopy then check the history.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 08:21:34 pm »

Sometimes if a fort is very old, or hits a certain spot in time, historical figures will arrive dead.  This is because time freezes in fortress mode, and nothing outside your embark happens at all.  Creatures don't age.  However, the instant they step onto the map, any age they've accumulated occurs instantly.  It's been often-reported that an arriving king will drop dead on map's edge.  Diplomats and liaisons are taken from a pool of historical figures, so it's possible that worldgen ended with a human at 69 years old, you started a fort and played for 5 years, and the human died at age 70.

RomanGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 08:28:16 pm »

Sometimes if a fort is very old, or hits a certain spot in time, historical figures will arrive dead.  This is because time freezes in fortress mode, and nothing outside your embark happens at all.  Creatures don't age.  However, the instant they step onto the map, any age they've accumulated occurs instantly.  It's been often-reported that an arriving king will drop dead on map's edge.  Diplomats and liaisons are taken from a pool of historical figures, so it's possible that worldgen ended with a human at 69 years old, you started a fort and played for 5 years, and the human died at age 70.

Ah, I will have to check but this makes sense and is probably what happened, thanks.
In Moria, in Khazad-dum.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 08:35:15 pm »

Coincidentally, in previous versions there was an issue with titans.  Apparently, only a titan could kill another titan, but they rarely fought.  Instead, civilizations would face them, wounding and "winning" but programmed not to get the kill-hit.  So when you were playing in fortress mode, they'd show up injured, which was neat.  But if there was a long worldgen, they'd show up missing every limb and instantly drop dead.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 09:33:17 pm »

Coincidentally, in previous versions there was an issue with titans.  Apparently, only a titan could kill another titan, but they rarely fought.  Instead, civilizations would face them, wounding and "winning" but programmed not to get the kill-hit.  So when you were playing in fortress mode, they'd show up injured, which was neat.  But if there was a long worldgen, they'd show up missing every limb and instantly drop dead.
I remember reading that on TV Tropes...
Ah, Dwarf Fortress...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Zyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 09:38:30 pm »

I had the leader of a human squad drop dead from old age after decapitating my best squad of marksdwarves and stabbing a swordsman.Not sure how though,maybe the adredaline before it suddenly stops?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 09:54:40 pm »

Age is always done at the start of spring, it seems.  Maybe the start of any season, but I've seen it at spring mostly.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 10:33:11 pm »

Clearly he arrived, took one look at the clusterfuck slaughterhouse of a fort that you have if you're any kind of Bay12-er, and dropped dead from horror.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:41:18 pm by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 10:56:21 pm »

Clearly he arrived, took one look at the clusterfuck slaughterhouse of a fort that you have if you're any kind of Bay12-er, and dropped dead from horror.

Like I said, acute beardlessness. Humans can't handle the dorfy things that happen around dwarven forts.
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!
Pages: [1] 2 3