Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do merchant preferences affect prices during trades?  (Read 606 times)

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do merchant preferences affect prices during trades?
« on: January 03, 2012, 10:51:38 pm »

In one of my recent forts I played, I noticed that some decorated items that were identical in material, material quality, and assigned value were priced differently by the caravan merchant I was trading them to. I was trading masterwork cave spider silk bags with exceptional cave spider silk sewn images, a byproduct of my attempts to make masterwork bags made from masterwork cloth decorated with masterwork images made from masterwork cloth, and many of the bags were valued differently by the merchant.

All of the bags were exactly the same except for the design of the image, so the 'trade agreement' I made with the dwarven diplomat the previous year shouldn't have any effect on the price of the individual bags made from the same materials. Some of the bags were valued higher than others, some much higher, while one was even valued lower than the bags stated absolute value. Bags with similar decorations seemed to be valued at similar levels, but I didn't really have a large enough sample to confirm it. I had no way of accessing the merchant dwarf's likes or dislikes list, so I don't know if that is in fact what was causing the difference in prices.

It makes me very curious. I've never noticed this until I started experimenting with decorations. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Also, when I decorate something, it seems that I'm actually losing value on the items combined in most cases. The total value of the uncombined items is often higher that the value of the final decorated product, except when the final item's decorations are masterwork. Is this intended?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Do merchant preferences affect prices during trades?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 11:01:17 pm »

Yes.  In the entity raws, there are tags which cause each entity to value different symbols and types of decorations differently.  Dwarves like bands and spiked, but don't like rings or images of trees as much.  Elves love things with images of trees, plants, and elves on them, but hate spikes.  That kind of thing.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 11:18:25 pm »

--- Just my assumption, no verified fact ---
As to the latter part: Imagine, let's say Gucchi, making a masterwork suit. And then comes an 11 year old kid and weaves some funny looking colored threads on it. Wouldn't it decrease it's value?

I believe this is a wanted feature :D
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 11:30:49 pm »

I've also noticed (in my current fortress, no less) that if the merchant requested a certain item the previous autumn and happens to have that item with him when trading, the price of that item will reflect what they offered to pay you for it (e.g., if they offered 200% for plump helmets and have plump helmets for trade, they will want double the normal price for them).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 11:36:13 pm »

I've also noticed (in my current fortress, no less) that if the merchant requested a certain item the previous autumn and happens to have that item with him when trading, the price of that item will reflect what they offered to pay you for it (e.g., if they offered 200% for plump helmets and have plump helmets for trade, they will want double the normal price for them).
Actually, the increased price is because you asked for plump helmets, not because they did.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 01:02:13 pm »

While I was getting familiar with modding and looking around in the raws, I found the following in the entity raws (those for civilizations).
For dwarves:    

[EQUIPMENT_IMPROVEMENTS]
   [ART_IMAGE_ELEMENT_MODIFIER:PLANT:64]
   [ART_IMAGE_ELEMENT_MODIFIER:TREE:64]
   [ITEM_IMPROVEMENT_MODIFIER:RINGS_HANGING:164]
   [ITEM_IMPROVEMENT_MODIFIER:BANDS:384]
   [ITEM_IMPROVEMENT_MODIFIER:SPIKES:284]

Therefore I guess a dwarf will pay vastly more for decorations of spikes, bands and hanging rings, and somewhat more for plant and trees.

Same applies for other civilizations. You can look the modifiers up in your raws. Go to your dwarf fortress folder -> raws -> objects -> entity_default

Then you can use ctrl+f to search the document for keywords like 'improvement' and you should quickly find what you need!

Molay
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 01:06:38 pm »

If you were trading with dwarves, there may have been a previous trade agreement influencing the prices. Things you asked them to bring you and things they asked you to sell them will be worth more.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 01:20:55 pm »

While I was getting familiar with modding and looking around in the raws, I found the following in the entity raws (those for civilizations).
For dwarves:    

[EQUIPMENT_IMPROVEMENTS]
   [ART_IMAGE_ELEMENT_MODIFIER:PLANT:64]
   [ART_IMAGE_ELEMENT_MODIFIER:TREE:64]
   [ITEM_IMPROVEMENT_MODIFIER:RINGS_HANGING:64]
   [ITEM_IMPROVEMENT_MODIFIER:BANDS:384]
   [ITEM_IMPROVEMENT_MODIFIER:SPIKES:384]

Therefore I guess a dwarf will pay vastly more for decorations of spikes, bands and hanging rings, and somewhat more for plant and trees.

Actually, as noted on the wiki, the default value modifier is 256, so the above means that dwarves like bands and spikes but do not care much for hanging rings or pictures of plants or trees. By comparison, Elves hate spikes (they consider them to be worthless) but really like pictures of plants/trees.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 01:34:08 pm »

Actually, as noted on the wiki, the default value modifier is 256, so the above means that dwarves like bands and spikes but do not care much for hanging rings or pictures of plants or trees. By comparison, Elves hate spikes (they consider them to be worthless) but really like pictures of plants/trees.

Oh, thank you! I didn't know that :)

What article did you get this from?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 02:16:34 pm »

As to the latter part: Imagine, let's say Gucchi, making a masterwork suit. And then comes an 11 year old kid and weaves some funny looking colored threads on it. Wouldn't it decrease it's value?

I believe this is a wanted feature :D
Only if you look at the object as a whole. I mean you can always pick out the threads that the 11 year old stitched in with a little work, and then you have a Gucchi suit and a bunch of colored thread. Plus there is always the chance that somebody likes 11 year old thread design. :P

Also you can find default values/other stuff about entity tokens on the entity token page on the wiki.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:18:10 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 03:23:26 pm »

As to the latter part: Imagine, let's say Gucci, making a masterwork suit. And then comes an 11 year old kid and weaves some funny looking colored threads on it. Wouldn't it decrease it's value?
Only if you look at the object as a whole. I mean you can always pick out the threads that the 11 year old stitched in with a little work, and then you have a Gucci suit and a bunch of colored thread. Plus there is always the chance that somebody likes 11 year old thread design. :P
Or the kid grows up to be a Legendary Clothier and his early works become prized by collectors, including the vandalized Gucci.