Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 846

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1325428 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #825 on: March 13, 2013, 09:39:06 pm »

I see next to none of the issues listed. Others than the magic's position being kind of wonky with the hand and lacking a background, it looks awesome.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 13, 2013, 11:28:10 pm »

I see next to none of the issues listed. Others than the magic's position being kind of wonky with the hand and lacking a background, it looks awesome.

Thanks! :)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 14, 2013, 03:38:20 am »

And the nebula is pretty cool but it could use some more defined shapes, check out this dudes gallery for some cool images :D
This is the bane of my existence. I can't seem to get sharp, defines shapes and lines without it looking absolutely retarded. Any tips?
Try to keep from using sharp, defined shapes and lines when you want to draw nebulae? Sorry, but I think what Jopax means is that you need to use more detail, or more accurate detail, rather than trying to create the oxymoron "a sharply defined nebula". Take a few moments to focus individually on small (200x100), random sections of your drawing (using window resizing if necessary), then compare each ~wisp to various shapes of vapor/cloud/smoke/fog in photos (Hubble or otherwise); do those pieces really look like gas?* Because to me, they all tend to look a lot more like opaci-brush squiggles surrounded by blur; they lack the suggestion of 3d shape that comes with a 3d object. Might want to spend a while looking at photos you've dug up and imagining what shapes produced them.
 Now, in the nebula photos you might have noticed that the stars tend to act as both foreground and background; where sometimes the nebulae occlude them, contain them, or get lit up by them. It helps especially here to remember that those gases do not actually glow visibly; all that colored light comes from stars in or around the nebulae.
 (This is all completely ignoring that without the preface the drawing looks like it was supposed to be a comet in the middle of breaking to pieces.)

Also, take a look at the times that guy said he took for his nebulae; 4-7 hours each work— or in other words, he's probably spent about 120 hours on just that first deviantart page of paintings. Practice power.

*Or, in a different spot, do those •'s and randomly oriented +'s look like stars? Remember that the + is a result of the camera taking the image or artificial lens effects, so them being different orientations implies a bunch of different images stitched together. Also, said stars look like they would through an atmosphere over a city, instead of from a space telescope.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 14, 2013, 04:44:23 am »

Pretty much what he said, it's not that you need harder shapes (I'm still struggling with those, but forcing yourself to work with opacity control off and jacking it up to 80-ish helps) just smaller highlights and indications as to what might be there. Right now the center is very overblown, dialing that back and squiggling in small lines to show cloud edges would make it more interesting, alternatively use shadows to show that there is volume in a shape, the best example of this would be the Horsehead nebula:

Try doing that one for practice, doesn't need to be the whole thing, but doing atleast a small part to see how you can achieve the tangible look of it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 14, 2013, 05:08:29 am »

Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 14, 2013, 12:21:02 pm »

Thanks for the feedback, guys :) I'll be incorporating it all into my next nebula-type-thing :) Also,

Or for even more choices...

Not only have you just given me an excellent source of reference photos, you've also given me my newest set of desktop backgrounds; those are incredible :D
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 14, 2013, 02:37:06 pm »

Some more dinosaurs, kind of like the one shook turned into a dragon through anger.

Why have I been drawing so many dinosaurs?!

edit: spelling error
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 14, 2013, 03:54:32 pm »

That's really nice, stylized and cartoony. Like the eyes especially. I'd recommend doing it on regular paper though and using a scanner or something.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #833 on: March 14, 2013, 04:06:33 pm »

Such lovely clean lines! Also dinosaurs, can't ever go wrong with those. COMRADE SHOOK APPROVES.

On a related note, i decided to try taking detectosaurus and actually PAINT his hardboiled mug rather than the previous pen tool clusterfuck (that turned out surprisingly well). It's obviously WIP, but so far i'm pleased!

This is mostly to prove to myself that i'm not modelocked into completely cartoony things, but hey, painting practice with a SOFT BRUSH!! Any input? (also yes i'm obviously still using a mouse, i'm hoping to get hold of a tablet within this month)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 14, 2013, 04:18:05 pm »

Shading on the rightmost nostril looks off.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #835 on: March 14, 2013, 08:16:00 pm »

That it does, though (i hope) that's mostly because it's still heavily WIP. And speaking of that, here's the next WIP after having poured another hour into it.

Still a fair bit left to do, but PROGRESS. In particular am i surprised at how well the pipe turned out. That possibly owes to the fact that you can still find non-fossilized pipes today, as opposed to dinosaurs.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 14, 2013, 08:19:35 pm »

Agreed! Pipe looks good, nostril is subtler shading.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 14, 2013, 09:11:33 pm »

That's really nice, stylized and cartoony. Like the eyes especially. I'd recommend doing it on regular paper though and using a scanner or something.
I tend to just doodle these things into my notebook during classes, and scanning looks kinda off with a spiral notebook. With any luck, I'm going to be able to paint (digitally) over picture, and won't have to worry about redrawing it. Although they may start popping up in more of my notebooks.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
I am a Goober.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 16, 2013, 03:18:35 pm »

Inspired by a doodle I made on the edge of my Bio homework yesterday.

...That should work...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 846