Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 846

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1326044 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #6825 on: February 22, 2016, 08:46:30 pm »

but what about gelatinous cyber-cubedragons?

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6826 on: February 23, 2016, 05:01:50 pm »

Ooo, that's pretty neat! Say, this is probably a durr-caliber question, but are you planning to put the 3D to use in a game?

Thanks! And yep, most of it will end up in a vidya game. The tree won't (probably), and a lot of the stuff with Mental Ray shaders is inapplicable to Unity (although it'll come in handy later on for non-video game projects), but the rocks are designed to be low-poly and properly atlased so that they'll work efficiently in-engine.
Spoiler: Nanomesh Wall (click to show/hide)
ZBrush has a thing called nanomeshes, which basically allow you to tile small objects across a larger surface and add in random variations. In this case, bricks were tiled across a flat surface to create a wall. It's better than my old method of creating brick walls, which was to start with a flat plane and try to sculpt bricks onto it. In retrospect, I really had no idea what I was doing most of the time. I'll probably think that same thing about my current self a year from now.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6827 on: February 23, 2016, 05:37:52 pm »

I think you may want to take a look at Procedural World.
I don't know whether their Voxel Studio already includes the building generation stuff, but the blog has talked about it extensively.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #6828 on: February 23, 2016, 08:40:19 pm »

Thanks! And yep, most of it will end up in a vidya game. The tree won't (probably), and a lot of the stuff with Mental Ray shaders is inapplicable to Unity (although it'll come in handy later on for non-video game projects), but the rocks are designed to be low-poly and properly atlased so that they'll work efficiently in-engine.
Spoiler: Nanomesh Wall (click to show/hide)
ZBrush has a thing called nanomeshes, which basically allow you to tile small objects across a larger surface and add in random variations. In this case, bricks were tiled across a flat surface to create a wall. It's better than my old method of creating brick walls, which was to start with a flat plane and try to sculpt bricks onto it. In retrospect, I really had no idea what I was doing most of the time. I'll probably think that same thing about my current self a year from now.
Nobody knows what they're doing at first, but figuring out the tricks of the trade is part of the fun. That wall seems fairly "loose", but if the point of it is to convey a state of disrepair, then that totally works. Most walls in meatspace are quite uniform, though. :v
Also hey cool, i remember that thing! Making gaems is pretty great, so i might be keeping an eye on that. ;)

also also since i'm already making angular animals here have a ramgle

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

he high
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6829 on: February 23, 2016, 08:55:10 pm »

I can already see a geometric bestiary book thingy. Make it happen Shook, you you can do it!

Also have a friendly wendigo explaining the gourmet difference between a blacksmith and a miner to an imp and a fairy stranded in heavy rainfall:
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6830 on: February 23, 2016, 09:17:20 pm »

I can already see a geometric bestiary book thingy. Make it happen Shook, you you can do it!

Also have a friendly wendigo explaining the gourmet difference between a blacksmith and a miner to an imp and a fairy stranded in heavy rainfall:
Adorable.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6831 on: February 23, 2016, 09:43:14 pm »

The wendigo's umbrella arm bends a little oddly for the perspective. Other than that it's great. Reminds me of Chronicles of Narnis for no apparent reason.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6832 on: February 24, 2016, 11:51:19 am »

Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #6833 on: February 25, 2016, 12:30:29 pm »

Oh god, my volume was way too high when that birb showed up. :v

"blacksmiths tend to taste more sooty but miners are always covered in dirt so it kind of doesn't matter"

Good stuff bro! Also, i totally should make such a thing, there are many silly creatures to be made. The biggest problem comes when we get above octahedrons, because i don't have any good ways of drawing those shapes. :v (read: d20's are the evilest things to attempt to draw)

also i did a commission thing

So yeah that's about as high as i can/will go in terms of single character quality. :v (also fuck me i don't know how to pose or proportions)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #6834 on: February 25, 2016, 02:01:59 pm »

Wait... Shook does commissions?

Is it time for a game with Shook art then?
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6835 on: February 25, 2016, 02:06:18 pm »

Angry Laser Space. Also several Cortex Command mods.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6836 on: February 25, 2016, 03:05:32 pm »

Wait... Shook does commissions?

Is it time for a game with Shook art then?
He has a Patreon and everything.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6837 on: February 25, 2016, 05:47:05 pm »

That wall seems fairly "loose", but if the point of it is to convey a state of disrepair, then that totally works. Most walls in meatspace are quite uniform, though. :v

I was aiming for a sort of dilapidated-medieval lookin' wall, not so much a modern brick wall.
It turns out things get weirder when you try to use the nanomesh technique with a non-uniform wall (like a wall with an arch through it, for example). The second image is the result of a completely different method of creating tileable textures and normal maps from a more carefully constructed template, which is especially useful for video games (where the number of polygons and unique materials matter a lot more). The actual shapes need some work, though - I don't care for how flat the normal maps ended up looking.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6838 on: February 25, 2016, 05:57:07 pm »

Don't the majority of games simply make brick walls by slapping on a detailed texture on a flat plane, thereby merely giving the illusion of depth?

Because I'm pretty sure that's what the wall on the right is doing.                   

Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6839 on: February 25, 2016, 06:22:52 pm »

That's an poor wall, nowadays they use bump mapping and parallax mapping and whatnot, to make it actually look like 3D walls.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 846