Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 887969 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #9720 on: June 10, 2016, 08:06:10 am »

By default Unity imports EVERYTHING when you update a model, so you have to specifically tell it that (insert random prop or scenery bit) doesn't have any animations so please don't try to import animation data from that file every time I make a minor change.

However, just a few moments ago, Unity imported a sign and automatically set the model's "Animation Type" to "none".

I'm flabbergasted.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9721 on: June 10, 2016, 11:11:51 am »

Am forced to use Visual Studio cause that's what Unreal Engine 4 is integrated with. I just installed Visual Assist cause I got fed up with Intellisense being a slow piece of shit.

Expected some improvement. Didn't expect it to feel like someone stopped choking me and I could finally breathe. Jesus.

Might have to buy it just so I don't blow my brains out once the free trial is over and I'm forced to use Intellisense again.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:15:43 am by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9722 on: June 10, 2016, 03:28:16 pm »

Intellisense is slow for you? I'm wishing IntelliJ's version of it was less shit ("Let's make it disappear as soon as you type a '(', HARG HARG HARG"). (I'm using IntelliJ for Go)

(I almost called it "eclipse")
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #9723 on: June 10, 2016, 08:55:40 pm »

im running a linux bot on #esoteric-blah (freenode), you have full root access, its on a virtual machine

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9724 on: June 11, 2016, 08:18:41 pm »

I'm looking for comments/tips on a good text editor for linux. 

Eventually hoping to use it for coding but for now it is just text (config files and the like).  On windows I was very happy with Notepad+, no coding work.  I've tried a few and currently use Notepadhqq (mainly cause of semi-familiarity) and Geany both of which are okay but don't really impress me.  Several of the popular ones (e.g Gedit) have left me very flat.  A few are mentioned to be very good but needing some time invested to be able to use well.  (I don't mind this if it is one that I will stick with.)  One thing I particularly liked about notepadplus was its ability to open just about any file even if the contents were gibberish (or mainly gibberish).

Line numbering is a must, coloured code desired, ability to have double view good, quick to load a bonus, capacity to open large files almost essential,... I could go on but hopefully that provides some guidance.  What would you recommend?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 08:23:17 pm by feelotraveller »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9725 on: June 11, 2016, 09:36:16 pm »

vim does all of that. That's probably not what you want, though.

I've been using Sublime Text for the past year or so and have been pretty happy with it.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9726 on: June 11, 2016, 11:24:01 pm »

... I could have sworn I used notepad++ on Linux but I guess it doesn't exist. Huh.

Well, unless NP++ works on Wine or something, I think Geany is probably your best option. I struggled a lot finding a good editor for scripts and ini files, although that's probably because I refuse to use command line editors on principle.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9727 on: June 12, 2016, 02:09:41 am »

I really like vim. It gets more useful if you install a few plugins.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9728 on: June 12, 2016, 02:21:09 am »

Sublime Text is great, it's what I'm using on mac.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9729 on: June 12, 2016, 05:02:43 am »

I recommend Emacs, as I use it for all my text editing needs (although I use mousepad for all my quickly-glossing-over-text needs, because it starts up faster). For line numbers, use linum-mode.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9730 on: June 12, 2016, 08:55:42 am »

I've been liking [Atom](https://atom.io/). It's Sublime-y, has a nicely-integrated community package manager, and some nice, native VC integration (extensible, like everything else, with packages).

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #9731 on: June 12, 2016, 12:07:13 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hey guys just wanted to show my progress in this project. I've been off the PC do some things but I finially re-made this using OOP.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9732 on: June 12, 2016, 05:22:25 pm »

Good use with the prints for debugging, you get a much better idea of the order that bits of code are being called.

Here's what I like to do: have the debug print at the start of a function print out it's name and parameters. Include the class name as well for the most detail. e.g. for your dice constructor, instead of "hello", try printing:

System.out.println("Dice.Dice("+x+")");

Debug printing of the name of functions and what values they are getting can really save time when you know some bit of code is screwing up, but you're not sure where the problem is. I've had countless times that I've debugged some "faulty" bit of code over and over, only to do a debug and realize that another bit of code was sending it the wrong values. The first thing you should always double-check is what values a function is receiving.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 05:34:30 pm by Reelya »

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #9733 on: June 12, 2016, 06:50:39 pm »

Hey! I'm thinking about making a basic 2D platforming game (basically just a re-skinned clone of the first level of Super Mario). I'm not really sure where to begin though. I already installed Unity, so that shouldn't be a problem, but otherwise, any advice?
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9734 on: June 12, 2016, 07:21:16 pm »

Focus on getting a quad to move back and forth and getting the jump mechanics working nice, gradually introduce more environmental complexity, then check how this actually interacts with your jump mechanics. Getting jumping feeling right in a sidescroller can be more involved than you think.
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 796