Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 884199 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #8970 on: February 10, 2016, 05:06:26 pm »

Demonstration video here. I'm personally very excited, I've been waiting since it was announced. Paid Unity users get access to the beta which presumably includes this feature, but no luck for Personal Edition users.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8971 on: February 11, 2016, 12:06:16 am »

To figure out what an engine or set of tech is good for, figure out what a 'terrible SDL game' or a 'terrible Unity game' looks like. The more garbage-quality the game the better.

You can then be absolutely certain that the path of least resistance for the technology was taken, and from that observe that (for example) Unity is meant to make it easy to make a 3D game with assets imported from an asset creation pipeline and stitched together with scripting, with bog standard graphics tech (that "terrible unity game" look) and easy greyboxing/prototyping. Whereas you don't see all that many terrible 2D Unity games, implying that doing 2D with Unity requires a bit of effort and knowing what you're doing.

doomchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Official Pace Car for the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #8972 on: February 11, 2016, 03:46:25 am »

I haven't attempted any game programming in more than four years.  It's all cloud-based stuff and various assorted utilities these days.  In my travels, I have learned one fact that I think is completely indisputable:

Java's checked exceptions are burning-underpants-on-dog stupid.
Quote from: webadict
I could care less what you are now, because what you will be is dead.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

doomchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Official Pace Car for the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #8974 on: February 11, 2016, 04:26:27 am »

I definitely wouldn't try game stuff in Java.  My day job stuff has me doing some Java lately.  Hopefully, we'll get Mono integrated into our workflow so I can go back to C#, but for the time being, I'm stuck.
Quote from: webadict
I could care less what you are now, because what you will be is dead.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #8975 on: February 11, 2016, 04:35:28 am »

OpenGLContext is an addon-thing for PyOpenGL that has a bunch of example code that I wanted to use, but then

I... what? Apparently there's a typo in the package's setup script, which doesn't actually look like it should error which is kinda weird. Or I might be doing something wrong.

I really don't want to download it manually, that's always a pain.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 04:37:04 am by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8976 on: February 11, 2016, 08:41:29 am »

I... what? Apparently there's a typo in the package's setup script, which doesn't actually look like it should error which is kinda weird. Or I might be doing something wrong.

That's perfectly valid Python 2 code. You appear to be using Python 3, which would need "except ImportError as err"

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8977 on: February 11, 2016, 02:05:17 pm »

I definitely wouldn't try game stuff in Java.  My day job stuff has me doing some Java lately.  Hopefully, we'll get Mono integrated into our workflow so I can go back to C#, but for the time being, I'm stuck.
Stuck with Java in particular, or just with the JVM?  In the latter case, there are a few nicer options available.
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8978 on: February 11, 2016, 03:46:41 pm »

game programming
Java
Found your problem

But but but I love using Java to write games! It's incredibly easy, productive and safe to code in, it's trivial to publish and to multiple platforms, and it has great performanceexcept maybe startup time. What more could you want? Java is by far my language of choice for writing games over all the other languages I know.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8979 on: February 11, 2016, 04:33:24 pm »

There is actually nothing wrong with using Java for games. It has a bad reputation brought on by the fact that 1) It was a slower option for years, but optimizations have made brought it to the point where it actually can compete with C++, but that early impression compounded with 2) a lot of poorly written java programs has tarnished its image.

Most current "Java is too slow" comments are memetic circlejerking leftovers from a bygone era. Java via LibJDX is actually a very good way to make games nowadays, especially if you're trying to target multiple platforms.

That said, I am C# person and not a Java person, I just don't like seeing pretty unfair shots being taken based on how it ran in the early 2000s.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8980 on: February 11, 2016, 04:43:10 pm »

One of the frequent jabs I've seen people take at Java for game development is the garbage collector.  I have almost no experience with Java and none at all with games written in it, but people blame the garbage collector for periodic and noticeable hiccups in framerates.  Is there any sort of support for making garbage collection more deterministic or otherwise mitigating the odds that it will kick in and hang the game for "long" periods of time?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 05:05:28 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8981 on: February 11, 2016, 04:59:59 pm »

My experience with Minecraft suggests the GC is pretty deterministic--half-second hitches every 3 seconds or so really consistently.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8982 on: February 11, 2016, 05:03:04 pm »

That's probably Minecraft being Minecraft.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8983 on: February 11, 2016, 05:04:16 pm »

The hitches line up perfectly with the memory usage going down by a couple gigabytes in the debug UI, so I'm reasonably sure it's GC going on.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8984 on: February 11, 2016, 05:13:39 pm »

Yes but it's still Minecraft being Minecraft.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 796