Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 796

Author Topic: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread  (Read 883033 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: if self.isCoder(): post() #Programming Thread
« Reply #8820 on: January 19, 2016, 01:00:15 pm »

Yeah.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #8821 on: January 22, 2016, 12:51:57 am »

Guys, this question is less objective than my previous ones. I know the basics of Python, Java and C++ (although i'm better in OOP in Java). What should my next step be? I tried GUI programming, but i can't grasp it on Java or C++ (Python is not hard). Currently, i can't use my programming skills in any pratical mean in my life (i'm kinda young). I've been getting quite frustrated recently because of this, as i'm not having as much progress as i had before. Any suggestions?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8822 on: January 22, 2016, 12:59:05 am »

@Magnumcannon:Learn more things.  This is always the next step.
Try a different language, maybe.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8823 on: January 22, 2016, 01:24:09 am »

Step up the size of your projects. Unless you've already done several really big ones. But if the most you've done is a few hundred lines, find something bigger to do. Do something of a decent size that you already know the basics of how to do, just not at the scale you're used to. Then add extra features that include things you don't know how to do. Try planning it out beforehand.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #8824 on: January 22, 2016, 02:47:59 am »

Make a game.

If you're anything like me, you'll have ~10 failed game projects floating around, but in the process of failing at those projects, you'll learn a lot of new stuff.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8825 on: January 22, 2016, 03:07:10 am »

Make a game.

If you're anything like me, you'll have ~10 failed game projects floating around, but in the process of failing at those projects, you'll learn a lot of new stuff.
Another good thing to do is read development diaries. Most of the ones I've found are by game devs, and they can contain some useful advice.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8826 on: January 22, 2016, 08:14:09 am »

Make a game.

Another good thing to do is read development diaries. Most of the ones I've found are by game devs, and they can contain some useful advice.

same. making my 15th right now, not yet failed, but real life time event will kill it eventually. still it's about the journey!

It'd be wonderful someday to have the collective programmers gaming itch coordinated so that something could eventually be finished XD

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8827 on: January 22, 2016, 11:48:08 am »

you could always try programming for 2d spacemans or a different open source game.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8828 on: January 22, 2016, 05:22:08 pm »

you could always try programming for 2d spacemans or a different open source game.

Programming a mod is a good introduction as well, you can focus on the logic and treat the game as a very complete engine.  Or do some full game unity tutorial, that's a good engine since it's very complete and well documented

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #8829 on: January 22, 2016, 08:03:58 pm »

I'm doing Java right now and my compiler is complaining about a memory leak when I use it. I'm not sure how to 'plug' the leak and I wanted to ask what i may be missing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that i'm inputting ints into a 2d array. This is basically a calorie tracker program.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #8830 on: January 22, 2016, 08:13:48 pm »

Ya just saw that. Apologies i'm not use to closing off input.

Thank you Ispil.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8831 on: January 22, 2016, 09:13:58 pm »

Programming a mod is a good introduction as well, you can focus on the logic and treat the game as a very complete engine.  Or do some full game unity tutorial, that's a good engine since it's very complete and well documented

Unity projects seem to develop issues if you work on them for very long though. Often times when working with camera features I get strange debug output like "Invalid A B A B" or something along those lines. Even when the games work fine and you haven't made any mistakes, it's a bit annoying.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #8832 on: January 22, 2016, 11:35:04 pm »

That's mostly just when tweaks are made between updates to the engine that don't break quite enough things to get any notice though

If you stay on the same version you're fine.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8833 on: January 23, 2016, 03:30:12 am »

"Invalid A B A B"

Error 2932 Unity is not impressed with your rhymes

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8834 on: January 23, 2016, 08:32:06 am »

I'm doing Java right now and my compiler is complaining about a memory leak when I use it. I'm not sure how to 'plug' the leak and I wanted to ask what i may be missing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that i'm inputting ints into a 2d array. This is basically a calorie tracker program.
please stop using spoilers or quotes for code

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 796